Patrick Bamford

Kieran.

I I think that now Bamford is a spectacular moment that can not be cut.

For me the best decision we can make about him is give Bamford on loan to another Premier League team (Boro mainly) and maybe Bamford could show that he can be a great player for Premier League with the ambition to be with England at Euro 2016 France.

At the end of the next season we will know if he can or if he can`t fight with Diego Costa every week.

Having this guy burning on the bench would be horrible for him...

Regards.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it was. Is it incorrect to say 'missed' if a penalty is saved?

Bit of a grey area I suppose isn't it...

I guess when someone hears that he "missed" a penalty, it sort of implies that he didn't get it on target and it was entirely his fault. Whereas if a penalty is saved, yes the penalty taker probably hasn't produced his best effort, but the goalkeeper still has to do his job to save it, therefore not entirely the penalty taker's fault and in my opinion not deserving of the word "missed".

Having said that, you could argue that a penalty being saved is a "missed chance" and therefore a "missed penalty", so to answer your question - no, it's not really incorrect to say that, although I do think that in it's written or spoken form to someone who hasn't seen the game it can be a bit misguiding.

Yes it was. Is it incorrect to say 'missed' if a penalty is saved?

It isn't incorrect, but it bugs me. From my point of view, as a goalkeeper, yes :D Saying a penalty is "missed" when it is in fact "saved" by the goalkeeper gives no credit to the goalkeeper, which annoys me somewhat, especially when penalties are the hardest thing for a goalkeeper to prevent. For me, a penalty is "missed" if it isn't registered as a shot on target, and if the goalkeeper saves it, it is obviously "saved".

But anyway, back to Patch. He's had a great season at 'Boro. Is there any harm in having him as our third choice striker next season? Costa is world class, people are beginning to realise (at last) that Remy isn't too far away from being an excellent forward himself - for a team that only plays with one forward that is enough, as far as I'm concerned. Didier may or may not be sticking around as well as an extra option in the "player coach" bracket - would there really be any risk in giving Patch ten starts and 15 sub appearances next season?

I guess when someone hears that he "missed" a penalty, it sort of implies that he didn't get it on target and it was entirely his fault. Whereas if a penalty is saved, yes the penalty taker probably hasn't produced his best effort, but the goalkeeper still has to do his job to save it, therefore not entirely the penalty taker's fault and in my opinion not deserving of the word "missed".

Having said that, you could argue that a penalty being saved is a "missed chance" and therefore a "missed penalty", so to answer your question - no, it's not really incorrect to say that, although I do think that in it's written or spoken form to someone who hasn't seen the game it can be a bit misguiding.

Wow! I finally understand quantum physics, man...

It isn't incorrect, but it bugs me. From my point of view, as a goalkeeper, yes :D Saying a penalty is "missed" when it is in fact "saved" by the goalkeeper gives no credit to the goalkeeper, which annoys me somewhat, especially when penalties are the hardest thing for a goalkeeper to prevent. For me, a penalty is "missed" if it isn't registered as a shot on target, and if the goalkeeper saves it, it is obviously "saved".

Thank you for the lesson guys :) In my language there is no difference, we use a word that literally means missed, it doesn't matter if it was saved or a wide shot. I try to use it correctly from now.

Wow! I finally understand quantum physics, man...

Haha, sorry! I'm well known for overcomplicating seemingly simple things!

But anyway, back to Patch. He's had a great season at 'Boro. Is there any harm in having him as our third choice striker next season? Costa is world class, people are beginning to realise (at last) that Remy isn't too far away from being an excellent forward himself - for a team that only plays with one forward that is enough, as far as I'm concerned. Didier may or may not be sticking around as well as an extra option in the "player coach" bracket - would there really be any risk in giving Patch ten starts and 15 sub appearances next season?

Agree with this. People say it would stunt his development and what not, but I reckon he would gain more out of working with Diego and Loic for a season (as well as potentially/hopefully Didier as a coach - the best striker coach you could possibly hope for in my opinion) despite getting less game time. He'd probably spend half the season as #2 anyway with all Diego's injuries!

Whilst I'm not against a loan to an EPL club next season, I think he's ready for Chelsea.

He's been linked with a move to Aston Villa. Any word on that?

Real question is, if Villa or another midtable team come with some 12-15m offer, would you sell?

I'd be very tempted for anything over 15m or 8-12m with a reasonable buy back clause.