Frank Lampard

DavidEU

Chelsea Football Club are believed to be lining up potential replacements for Frank Lampard.

Talks over the future of the England international have been placed on hold until the end of the season, yet reports continue to grow that the midfielder will be on his way during the summer window.

Barcelona have long been linked with a move for Lampard whilst Juventus, who are coached by Claudio Ranieri who took him to Stamford Bridge, are said to be lining up an £8million move.

Should the former West Ham United star leave the Londoners, it is believed that Avram Grant has targeted a £15million move for Roma star Daniele de Rossi as a replacement.

Chelsea boss Avram Grant insists he wants to keep midfielder Frank Lampard. "We want to keep him and he wants to stay, we've agreed to discuss it (Lampard's contract) in the summer. I do not deal with these things, but I also expressed my opinion," said Grant.

Wasnt he saying all last season he'd sort the contract in the summer and it didnt happen? Am I the only one pissed off with him for stalling? If he's so bloody committed to us then why has it taken him so long to put pen to paper, leaving himself in a position where he can buy himself out and screw us over in the process? Yeah Ive heard him commit himself verbally plenty of times, but talk is cheap.

Wasnt he saying all last season he'd sort the contract in the summer and it didnt happen? Am I the only one pissed off with him for stalling? If he's so bloody committed to us then why has it taken him so long to put pen to paper, leaving himself in a position where he can buy himself out and screw us over in the process? Yeah Ive heard him commit himself verbally plenty of times, but talk is cheap.

Thats very true, loyalty will only take you so far. At the end of the day if he doesn't get given what he wants (and we have no idea that is the case) then he will leave. Given the fact he is getting older, i would think it could be the length of contract that is the issue here....

But you are right Misschief, the club want him to sign - if he is so committed then what is the problem?

I would suggest it is an agent problem. He is being told he can get more by holding out, probably pretty forcefully, because of course that gives the agent more money.

The whole agent system is seriously flawed and needs fixing. Agents should be paid by the players not the clubs as a first, and as a second, it shouldn't be a percentage of players wage or signing bonus or whatever it is, but a standard fee that the player pays. Better agents command better wages, not necessarily greedier agents (although that will still often be the case).

I think you're right there, if he wanted to stay so much he would go to the club and ask. Saying that for all we know, he could be, the club are not very public about transfer rumours and the like.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lampards Bitch

And all those people who thought he wouldnt make it when Claudio signed him! Thank god Leeds didnt get him!!!!

He will always be Super Frank ;)

England wait on Lampard fitness

Chelsea's Frank Lampard is the latest injury concern for England coach Fabio Capello ahead of Wednesday's friendly against France in Paris.

Midfielder Lampard suffered a knock during Sunday's 2-1 win over Arsenal and will assess the situation during training with England on Monday.

The 29-year-old said: "I took a knock on my hip during the first half and it was pretty painful.

"I am still going to report for England duty and see how it is."

Another potential absentee is Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, who reportedly picked up a problem during his side's 3-0 victory over Liverpool.

Italian Capello had voiced his fears that his squad could be hit by injuries to key players involved in Sunday's matches between the Premier league's top four clubs.

And he indicated he was not impressed by the timing of the fixtures.

"This is a friendly - having said that I'm not ecstatic, not happy about it," said Capello.

"Some of the players I will not be able to train as I would like to."

Capello has already been forced into changes and called up West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green on Sunday after Wigan's Chris Kirkland was ruled out.

And Chelsea's John Terry, who was England captain under Steve McClaren and is a leading candidate to get the full-time role under Capello, has backed Beckham to take the job on Wednesday.

"David is a credit to himself and what he has done is exceptional," Terry told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"If he is going to start or come on, he fully deserves to wear that England armband.

"I am very nervous about joining up with the squad and certainly don't expect to be captain.

"I wish to continue as England captain and fingers crossed I can do that but if not I will respect Mr Capello's decision."

France coach Raymond Domenech has called on a squad of 39 players to cover the England match, as well as an 'A' team fixture against Mali on Tuesday.

England squad:

Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Paul Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur), Robert Green (West Ham)

Defenders: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Joleon Lescott (Everton), John Terry (Chelsea), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (AstonVilla), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Forwards: Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

France squad:

Goalkeepers: Gregory Coupet (Lyon), Mickael Landreau (PSG), Hugo Lloris (Nice), Steve Mandanda (Marseille)

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Barcelona/ESP), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Lyon), Gael Clichy (Arsenal/ENG), Francois Clerc (Lyon), Mathieu Delpierre (Stuttgart/GER), Julien Escude (Seville/ESP), Patrice Evra (Manchester United/ENG), William Gallas (Arsenal/ENG), Gael Givet (Marseille), Philippe Mexes (AS Roma/ITA), Adil Rami (Lille), Anthony Reveillere (Lyon), Sebastien Squillaci (Lyon), Lilian Thuram (Barcelona/ESP)

Midfielders: Mathieu Bodmer (Lyon), Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Lassana Diarra (Portsmouth/ENG), Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal/ENG), Claude Makelele (Chelsea/ENG), Rio Mavuba (Lille), Samir Nasri (Marseille), Jeremy Toulalan (Lyon), Jerome Rothen (PSG), Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan/ITA)

Strikers: Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea/ENG), Hatem Ben Arfa (Lyon), Karim Benzema (Lyon), Jimmy Briand (Rennes), Djibril Cisse (Marseille), Thierry Henry (Barcelona/ESP), Florent Malouda (Chelsea/ENG), Sidney Govou (Lyon), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich/GER), Louis Saha (Manchester Utd/ENG), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille)

From the BBC

lol forget about this. The England players just purely dont wanna waste their time playing international friendlies when they are in a massive period in the league. You will see at least 3-5 more stories like this in the next couple of days. ------has pulled out/is a doubt/may not be fit for weds etc etc