Frank Lampard

DavidEU

• 1 month later...
I'm not ashamed to admit I was in tears when he netted that. So proud of him.

Hey dude me either. The moment was so toching. Lampard is the Legend. I'm glad after all he'll stay.

• 2 weeks later...

From The Times May 20, 2008<h1 class="heading">Frank Lampard transfer claims stun Chelsea</h1>

Chelsea's preparations for the Champions League final were disrupted yesterday by reports from Italy that Frank Lampard would quit the club after the game to take up a four-year contract with Inter Milan. Confirmation from Uefa that Lubos Michel, the referee who allowed Luis García's infamous “ghost goal” in the semi-final defeat by Liverpool three years ago, will be in charge against Manchester United tomorrow evening provided a further source of irritation.

Senior officials at Chelsea reacted with surprise and anger that fresh speculation about Lampard, 29, had surfaced just 48 hours before the biggest match in the club's history and Peter Kenyon, the chief executive, placed an immediate call to Roman Abramovich, the owner, to ensure that no deal had taken place without his knowledge. An investigation has been launched to discover whether an agent is falsely claiming to represent Chelsea in transfer business, so strong was the word from Milan that a transfer was on the verge of completion.

Sources in Milan were happy to provide details of a salary - approximately £5.8 million a year - and a length of contract for the Lampard transfer, yet Chelsea claimed that there had been no contact between the clubs, while Steve Kutner, the England midfield player's agent, insisted that no decision would be made on his future until later in the summer, after talks with Chelsea.

Lampard's contract has one year to run and it may be that if he cannot reach agreement on an extended deal, he will be sold rather than allowed to leave on a free transfer, but Kutner said that word of an imminent move to Milan was wrong.

“There is no truth in it at all,” Kutner said. “I don't know why Inter Milan would think this. Nobody has talked to me and I am good friends with the owner, Massimo Moratti. I took Paul Ince there, I took Patrick Vieira there - if there was something on I am sure I would know.

“The situation is that Frank has got a massive match on Wednesday, after which he needs to spend time with his family, because he has not had a real opportunity to do that since his mother died. He needs to get away and sort out his personal life and when he has done that we will sit down and talk about his future in football.

“After that we will talk to Chelsea and that is as far as we have got - there is nothing in the pipeline and I don't know why this has surfaced now.”

The speculation could not have come at a worse time for Chelsea, with so much uncertainty around important players going into the club's first Champions League final. Didier Drogba is a target for AC Milan and there is still no final word on whether Avram Grant, the first-team coach, will be in charge next season.

Lampard's departure seemed a perfect fit with increasing indications that he would be reunited with José Mourinho, Grant's predecessor, if he went to Inter. Mourinho expects to open talks with Moratti next week and is favoured to replace Roberto Mancini as coach. Although preliminary terms have not been agreed, his appointment is increasingly regarded as a matter of when, rather than if.

Chelsea reacted with stoicism to Michel's appointment, though there is little doubt that they would have preferred another referee, for superstitious reasons if nothing else. Chelsea have not won a match officiated by the Slovak, who also took charge of their 1-0 defeat to Werder Bremen in last season's group stage.

Chelsea will train at the Luzhniki Stadium this evening, with the final place in their starting XI still up for grabs. It is a straight fight between Florent Malouda and Salomon Kalou. Grant is leaning towards picking Malouda for his greater experience - the France winger has started all Chelsea's Champions League away matches this season - though a final decision could be delayed until tomorrow afternoon.

The club have rubbished this, along with his agent this morning, according to Radio 5 live.

Also Reuters:

“There is no truth in it at all. I don’t know why Inter Milan would think this. Nobody has talked to me and I am good friends with the owner, Massimo Moratti. I took Paul Ince there, I took Patrick Vieira there - if there was something on I am sure I would know. The situation is that Frank [Lampard] has got a massive match on Wednesday, after which he needs to spend time with his family, because he has not had a real opportunity to do that since his mother died. He needs to get away and sort out his personal life and when he has done that we will sit down and talk about his future in football.” - Lampard’s agent, Steve Kutner