Torres love or hate?

Torres was actually looking somewhat back to his best until he was dropped. Was excellent against Man Utd, Valencia and Genk. Drogba has scored a couple but looked completely disinterested and Lazy.

Despite Torres' shit scoring record for us, he has looked good, just his goalscoring is the one thing he is judged on. He's missed many many golden opportunities but at least he's always there. They will turn into goals given the pitch minutes.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are certain biases even within our fans, though I just don't see how Drogba has been better than Torres since the start of the season. Though as I said before, neither get the ball enough in this current system to be given the opportunity to show form.

Drogba exhibited great centre forward play though. Occupying their CBs, jockeying, holding up the play, turning the marker etc.

Even after 146 goals and eight seasons at the club his brilliance still isn't recognised - I find there's no point arguing, Jaimin.

Even after 146 goals and eight seasons at the club his brilliance still isn't recognised - I find there's no point arguing, Jaimin.

I think most our fans appreicate what Drogba has done , i definatly do he has been my faviourte player over the last 8 seasons he has been here.

The thing is there is a high chance he wont be here next year and if Torres is ? surely we need to play him to get used to our style and tactics moving forward.

If Drogba was 27 as well i would stick with him as i think he is a better player on his day but he is not he is 33 and most likely in his last season with us. we need to look at who will lead the line for the next few years and if its not Torres its time to ship him out and either give Danny a try or find someone else who is.

And fight how? During the 7 and 13 mins he is given?

Unfortunately yes, given that AVB seems to have given preference to Didier, Torres will have to make do with appearances as a sub or during midweek where he'll have to shine...Of course, I could be wrong and AVB will go back to his old rotation system and it'll be the same old stuff again from both the strikers..

Torres was actually looking somewhat back to his best until he was dropped. Was excellent against Man Utd, Valencia and Genk. Drogba has scored a couple but looked completely disinterested and Lazy.

Despite Torres' shit scoring record for us, he has looked good, just his goalscoring is the one thing he is judged on. He's missed many many golden opportunities but at least he's always there. They will turn into goals given the pitch minutes.

That's something I found strange as well..Its been about since month since he has started, and I put it down to AVB finally deciding that he will stick with Drogba as his first-choice, simply as a matter of preference. I just hope he doesn't go back that to that policy of giving each striker equal minutes, because they're not able to find consistency....

I dont understand it either.. he was looking relatively sharp even in the last games before he was dropped.

My best guess is he might have been looking bad in training. As much respect as I have for DD he is getting old and doesn't fit with the new style of play AVB is implementing... besides it isn't the same as 2 years ago when we could just chop long balls to didier and watch him create goals out of half chances.

There's also a chance that AVB is actually choosing his strikers depending on the type of opposition we play (at least that's what he claims in some of his interviews)...

In any case, it will be interesting to see his team selections for the next few matches..we can get a better picture then

stats this year:

Torres - 14 apps 4 goals 3 assists - 50% rate

Drogba - 10 apps 2 goals 1 assist - 30% rate

This includes Torres last 2 late subs appearances...

Torres is more effective than Drogba, although Drogba did work hard against Wolves closing down opponents. This is where Drogba beats Torres on effort put in....maybe being dropped for a while will give Torres the kick up the arse he needs to work harder...

This is where Drogba beats Torres on effort put in

I'm afraid that's just not true. Torres has worked extremely hard for the team this season whenever he's been on the pitch, he's literally been everywhere. The problem is that once he gets in and around the box, he seems to get struck by a moment of indecisiveness and ends up running into a defender or taking on the wrong option. His work rate could have been questioned last season but not this year.

I'm afraid that's just not true. Torres has worked extremely hard for the team this season whenever he's been on the pitch, he's literally been everywhere. The problem is that once he gets in and around the box, he seems to get struck by a moment of indecisiveness and ends up running into a defender or taking on the wrong option. His work rate could have been questioned last season but not this year.

His work rate has improved since last year true, but don't agree he has worked extremely hard in all games this year. At the start of the season yes, but I had been watching him closely in the last few games he played and he was just jogging around in the box, not making enough effort to get onto things.

I think Torres is better than Drogba and needs a run of 5+ games to show this. As I said on here before I dont think AVB has managed him well. However this latest episode may be correct, when Torres comes back into the side he may well show the effort levels of the beginning of the season...

So you have Drogba goggles now? :D

Drogba didn't have a single shot on target in the game. While Torres immediately he came on, the only thing on his mind was trying to score.

And his movement was good, just wish he'd been less selfish... he could have probably had an assist

I have already replied to this on another thread, so not going to bother repeating myself lol.

So you have Drogba goggles now? :D

Drogba didn't have a single shot on target in the game. While Torres immediately he came on, the only thing on his mind was trying to score.

And his movement was good, just wish he'd been less selfish... he could have probably had an assist

I have already replied to this on another thread, so not going to bother repeating myself lol.

I've had Drogba goggles from the day he arrived at Stamford Bridge, he is my all time favourite footballer and one of my heroes.

He didn't have a shot but he led the line of a team that won 3-0 and he was quite important in getting that result, read the paragraph about his performance on the blue chronicle blog and it explains just why his performance was so excellent from a team based point of view. AVB isn't a fool, and even though its Torres who Roman (and AVB) would rather see starting because he is the younger player, because his style of centre forward is supposed to suit AVB's system more than the target man Drogba and because he cost 50 million pound, its a true reflection of Fernando's lack of form aswell as Drogba's recent good performances that Didier is the one getting the nod to start. Come the crucial Champions League game against Valencia, I know which one Id rather have leading the line.

Spot on, even amongst our own fans he must be one of the most underrated players I can remember. He has been the focal point at Chelsea for the best part of 8 years, the main man through whom all things flow and he deserves a lot more credit and respect than he is getting.

stats this year:

Torres - 14 apps 4 goals 3 assists - 50% rate

Drogba - 10 apps 2 goals 1 assist - 30% rate

This includes Torres last 2 late subs appearances...

Torres is more effective than Drogba, although Drogba did work hard against Wolves closing down opponents. This is where Drogba beats Torres on effort put in....maybe being dropped for a while will give Torres the kick up the arse he needs to work harder...

Statistically Mikel is one of the most accurate passers in the Premier League, that must mean Mikel is one of the finest midfielders in the Premier League.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

It all comes down to what attributes AVB wants from his CF to fit into his match tactics. One thing is apparent though, chopping and changing does not help either player or the team. Regular games is the only way for either player to gain form or momentum.

Personally, I think Torres is a better player than Drogba and would pick him but if AVB sees Drogba as the CF we have to get behind him 100%....