Since February with and without David Luiz - the facts

Tomo

I know this Luiz threads are growing old and there he has somewhat split opinion on this forum especially, sorry to do another one but i thought these stats deserve a serious mention.

Looking at the stats in games with and without David Luiz on the pitch since his arrival on winter transfer deadline day, its looks even more than his "liabilty" tag is harsh.

Season 11/12 so far with Luiz playing

Played 7

Conceded 4

Clean sheets 3

Season 11/12 so far without Luiz playing

Played 8

Conceded 13

Clean sheets 1

Season 10/11 with Luiz playing

Played 11

Conceded 7

Clean sheets 4

Season 10/11 without Luiz playing (after his arrival)

Played 9

Conceded 10

Clean sheets 2

OVERALL with Luiz

Played 18

Conceded 11

Clean sheets 7

OVERALL without Luiz (after his arrival)

Played 17

Conceded 23

Clean sheets 3

I included Liverpool at home in without Luiz as the damage was already done before he came on.

Interesting that we conceded as many goals in 1 half against Arsenal than we have all season with in the 7 games David "liabilty" Luiz has played :rolleyes:

In those 7 games Luiz has played this season only Saha has scored against us from open play.

The contrast is astounding, if this don't prove that David Luiz is one of our if not our most important player i really do not know what does.

Imagine if he was not a "liability" :rolleyes:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistics only show part of the story... the amount of free-kicks we concede in dangerous areas is certainly higher when he plays, whether by his own action or desperate cover from the likes of Ramires or Mikel. Statistically Kalou and Malouda are brilliant, the reality is they are average players who are far too inconsistent to be at this club, regardless of their ability to win matches. My point; Luiz is a wonderful and exciting defender but there is more than one way of perceiving a fact or statistic...

Statistics only show part of the story... the amount of free-kicks we concede in dangerous areas is certainly higher when he plays, whether by his own action or desperate cover from the likes of Ramires or Mikel. Statistically Kalou and Malouda are brilliant, the reality is they are average players who are far too inconsistent to be at this club, regardless of their ability to win matches. My point; Luiz is a wonderful and exciting defender but there is more than one way of perceiving a fact or statistic...

fair point although Carvalho was a serial giver way of free kicks too for us.

Im happy to admit he can be reckless at times but the comparision with and without is alarming, had it been the other way round im sure some of us, rival fans and especially the media would be first to pick up on it.

I know this Luiz threads are growing old and there he has somewhat split opinion on this forum especially, sorry to do another one but i thought these stats deserve a serious mention.

Looking at the stats in games with and without David Luiz on the pitch since his arrival on winter transfer deadline day, its looks even more than his "liabilty" tag is harsh.

Season 11/12 so far with Luiz playing

Played 7

Conceded 4

Clean sheets 3

Season 11/12 so far without Luiz playing

Played 8

Conceded 13

Clean sheets 1

Season 10/11 with Luiz playing

Played 11

Conceded 7

Clean sheets 4

Season 10/11 without Luiz playing (after his arrival)

Played 9

Conceded 10

Clean sheets 2

OVERALL with Luiz

Played 18

Conceded 11

Clean sheets 7

OVERALL without Luiz (after his arrival)

Played 17

Conceded 23

Clean sheets 3

I included Liverpool at home in without Luiz as the damage was already done before he came on.

Interesting that we conceded as many goals in 1 half against Arsenal than we have all season with in the 7 games David "liabilty" Luiz has played :rolleyes:

In those 7 games Luiz has played this season only Saha has scored against us from open play.

The contrast is astounding, if this don't prove that David Luiz is one of our if not our most important player i really do not know what does.

Imagine if he was not a "liability" :rolleyes:

I can see where you're getting at and agree that he could make the transition to first choice, but Luiz has barely played in the Premier League this season for us, and its in that competition that we're struggling to keep a clean sheet...

Great stats, but it doesnt completely reflect what he bring into the game. Luiz for me is a very instinctive player, We r bound to get the card from him and free kicks in & around the box but at the same time he can come in and do the bicycle in the opponents box (how many CB have u seen doing it). He gets involved in all the aspects of the game which is good for us because he brings more dynamics into our play. I was amazed with his play against QPR, yes he made a kiddish mistake but in the last 15 mins i thought it was just only Luiz on the field. Having said this, i hope AVB doesnt tie him down and cuts off his instinctive play as it would make him just an ordinary player, he should be given more chances if not CB (which is the ideal position) then play him DM. He would learn more and more as he get more game time. We have been playing with like minded CB since last year and that is not good for a top team, u need 2 different characters to compliment each other i.e. Terry/Ivan/Alex one set and Luiz the other.

Another stats, not sure if u all have noticed it or not. Our defensive quality has gone down after Carvalho left the club. because we had 2 different characters, Carvalho (the street smart) and Terry (the passionate one) compliment each other to the core which got the best out of us in the defense.

Luiz can be stupid sometimes, but you have to accept he's going to give away penalties, get sent off and concede free kicks because he's that defender, just like Vidic and Pepe.

he has to learn and mature ... thats where AVB has a part to play ... to hone his skills and to help him eliminate his mistakes

I must say te QPR match I actually felt that Luiz was the one pushing the team to perform and brought the best out of them

Wait a minute, there are people in this forum who thinks Ivan/Alex should start regularly instead of him?

Luiz isnt perfect but he's better than both of them at the moment.

No, but there are those of us who think playing him and Bosingwa constitutes a disaster.

Ivanovic must play at right-back from hereon-in.

Carvalho for me has been the best defender in Roman Era. Luiz needs to learn from his mistakes.

I remember when i got in an argument with a fellow Chelsea fan in a sauna about that very opinion. Carvalho was better then Terry and he made Terry look better then he actually was in reality. Terry has his limits but his limits were Carvalho's strength's and vice versa but carvalho's reading of the game was second to none, he along with Makalele made us impossible to score against.

I remember when i got in an argument with a fellow Chelsea fan in a sauna about that very opinion. Carvalho was better then Terry and he made Terry look better then he actually was in reality. Terry has his limits but his limits were Carvalho's strength's and vice versa but carvalho's reading of the game was second to none, he along with Makalele made us impossible to score against.

What you were doing in a sauna with a onother fan?

What you were doing in a sauna with a onother fan?

I was in the sauna in a gym in London back in 2006, there was around 5 people inside. He asked me what team i support and i said Chelsea and he said he was a Chelsea fan too then we got talking about the team. He thought Terry was better then Ricky but i told him he was not then we got into a little heated debate lol, i could hardly breath.