Messi: not just great, but the best?

Carefree Tom

Messi is by far the best player in this generation.

However, the best attacker ever for me is Ronaldo. His physical attributes combined with his technique and intangibles is unheard of these days in football.

Fair assessment, but IMHO both Ronaldinho & Zidane rank above Ronaldo. I still remember in the Euro 2k France vs Portugal. The Portuguese couldn't stop ZZ. They HAD to foul him or if not there would be a shot on goal. I still remember the first time I saw Ronaldinho. It was a friendly between USA vs Brazil in 2001. The talking heads were saying 'This Guy will be the next star from Brazil'. I was like whatever, then he scored on a FK from like 20 yards out. I don't have the exact goal, but I found some of his highlights in that match & the quote of the US Commentators praising him before he hit the map.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair assessment, but IMHO both Ronaldinho & Zidane rank above Ronaldo. I still remember in the Euro 2k France vs Portugal. The Portuguese couldn't stop ZZ. They HAD to foul him or if not there would be a shot on goal. I still remember the first time I saw Ronaldinho. It was a friendly between USA vs Brazil in 2001. The talking heads were saying 'This Guy will be the next star from Brazil'. I was like whatever, then he scored on a FK from like 20 yards out. I don't have the exact goal, but I found some of his highlights in that match & the quote of the US Commentators praising him before he hit the map.

Ronaldinho really angers me. Could've been the greatest of all time, but didn't take his football seriously after a while.

Both ronaldos were good... I dont really care whether one is better than the other, but Cristiano is not.

(Ask any barca fan whose peak was better, ronaldo de assis moreina or messi, I would bet most of them pick ronaldo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWTGiwsIVI

Ronaldo, Ronaldinho then Zidane.

Messi is a gifted dribbler with normal skills. Those three above have skills in abundance, and entertain better.

Plain and simple, Messi is the greatest player ever. Was lucky enough to see him in the Flesh before. Truly amazing player.

If you noticed the three players Kellz has named has lead their club/countries to win everything imaginable. Messi on the other hand.......

Both ronaldos were good... I dont really care whether one is better than the other, but Cristiano is not.

(Ask any barca fan whose peak was better, ronaldo de assis moreina or messi, I would bet most of them pick ronaldo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWTGiwsIVI

Your 'bet' is nothing more than an assumption mate. Lionel Messi's prime (if you could even brand him one) was most definitely 2011 yet he continues to break record after record like his historic 91 goals in a calender year triumph. Let's not forget even though Messi lacked height and physical stature like the phenomenon, Messi still played far deeper than he did as a striker whilst still scoring more goals and linked up with the midfield as well as contributing to the whole style of play that benefited the team as a whole. He can't get that kind of balance on the national team because they put him in a different role, almost as an attacking midfielder just because Messi is that diverse in his ability. Those picking Messi would definitely have a justifiable cause. Don't even get me started on Diego Maradona....

Your 'bet' is nothing more than an assumption mate. Lionel Messi's prime (if you could even brand him one) was most definitely 2011 yet he continues to break record after record like his historic 91 goals in a calender year triumph. Let's not forget even though Messi lacked height and physical stature like the phenomenon, Messi still played far deeper than he did as a striker whilst still scoring more goals and linked up with the midfield as well as contributing to the whole style of play that benefited the team as a whole. He can't get that kind of balance on the national team because they put him in a different role, almost as an attacking midfielder just because Messi is that diverse in his ability. Those picking Messi would definitely have a justifiable cause. Don't even get me started on Diego Maradona....

You should get started on maradona/di stefano since you were born during his era........

For surprise, Argentina played realy well this tournament. To win it, they needed only super form Messi who did nothing since quarters. He aint greatest, but certainly one of best.

What Messi lacks are those special moments, like impossible shots or taking defenders on fuckin rollercoaster etc.

So you believe that Messi is better than Maradona? Please explain if so. I find this assessment very interesting.

This one's almost impossible considering it's astounding how they are both incredibly similar. Even though they both lack physical stature, their ability came natural to them, almost if they were born to play football. Messi has the continuous broken records, club trophies and individual awards that I don't think will ever be matched, then you have Maradona who's influence alone won his country a world cup in '86 and his historic and memorable contributes in Napoli that to this day spews greatness at club and National team level. It would seem that for this assessment, one has to take into consideration the reasoning with rational thought behind these triumphs, like for one, a big reasoning for Messi's individual success is being on a club that plays a philosophy that get's the best out of him and with Diego, being a main factor in hand selecting the players that would guide Napoli to a Italian title. I really don't have an answer for this one as I class both Diego and Lionel as my all time greats, DiStefano as well.

• 3 months later...