Raul Meireles

chrismada9

Ok so (almost) all of us were happy when Andre Villas-Boas became Chelsea's manager. Now he wants a player. Why can't we just give the man some confidence? It's not like he wants important players to leave. Buying Meireles doesn't mean we won't sign Modric or Sneijder or another creative midfielder.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok so (almost) all of us were happy when Andre Villas-Boas became Chelsea's manager. Now he wants a player. Why can't we just give the man some confidence? It's not like he wants important players to leave. Buying Meireles doesn't mean we won't sign Modric or Sneijder or another creative midfielder.

According to the Telegraph, Meireles is a backup plan if Spurs won't sell Modric. So actually, buying him does mean Chelsea won't be signing a creative midfielder. It's B instead of A and not A+B=AB.

According to the Telegraph, Meireles is a backup plan if Spurs won't sell Modric. So actually, buying him does mean Chelsea won't be signing a creative midfielder. It's B instead of A and not A+B=AB.

But according to the Guardian, that's not the case :thinking:

But according to the Guardian, that's not the case :thinking:

Oh really? I haven't read that one. Just the Telegraph article.

Okay, just read it. I guess we'll know which paper gets right by 11pm on Wednesday. I usually trust the Guardian more...and hope it's right. The Telegraph makes it clear that Meireles is the backup if the Modric bid fails.

I don't think Meireles is as bad a player as some people. He's not a CM wizard but he's not sh*t on a stick either. He can play the ball quickly, he looks to distribute, he can shoot. I could actually see him linking up well with Mata and the forwards. He may not be first choice but I don't think he's the worst thing to happen either IF it happens.

According to the Telegraph, Meireles is a backup plan if Spurs won't sell Modric. So actually, buying him does mean Chelsea won't be

signing a creative midfielder. It's B instead of A and not A+B=AB.

I realy dont know how did you get this from that Telegraph article:

"Chelsea’s interest in Meireles does not, yet, mean that they have given up all hope of signing Luka Modric from Tottenham Hotspur

and they are weighing up making an improved offer of £40 million."

On the other hand, they said couple of more things like: "Chelsea manager would welcome him(Meireles) at his club especially if he

failed to land Modric"

This article from The Telegraph is realy all over the place... sounds like some real bulshit. They basicly didnt say much about Modric,

appart from that: "Chelsea and their negotiators have tried to persuade club owner Roman Abramovich to give up on pursuing Modric".

Its kind a new, but again, sounds like bulshit as well.

Villas-Boas only worked briefly with Meireles at Porto but there is a mutual admiration and the Chelsea manager would welcome him at his club especially if he failed to land Modric. It is believed that Villas-Boas has decided against bidding for another midfielder, Porto’s Joao Moutinho who he had considered as an alternative to Modric.

You're right the article is all over the shop. I focused on these two parts which leads me to believe Meireles will be a satisfactory signing should Modric fail as there's no Plan B for a creative MF. So we could end up with just Meireles (again, I like him and I would start him over Lampard or Ramires) but Chelsea's need for creativity means Meireles doesn't really fit that void.

Villas-Boas only worked briefly with Meireles at Porto but there is a mutual admiration and the Chelsea manager would welcome him at his club especially if he failed to land Modric. It is believed that Villas-Boas has decided against bidding for another midfielder, Porto’s Joao Moutinho who he had considered as an alternative to Modric.

You're right the article is all over the shop. I focused on these two parts which leads me to believe Meireles will be a satisfactory signing should Modric fail as there's no Plan B for a creative MF. So we could end up with just Meireles (again, I like him and I would start him over Lampard or Ramires) but Chelsea's need for creativity means Meireles doesn't really fit that void.

But its kind a weird that you looked only at those 2 parts and refer them as "what The Telegraph are saying".

Like we both said, its clear that they dont know what exactly is going on.

Chelsea were planning to make an improved offer for Raul Meireles on Monday night after Liverpool rejected their opening bid of £8 million plus Yossi Benayoun. It is believed Liverpool want Danny Sturridge included in the deal & not Yossi Benayoun. However Chelsea are not interested in including Danny Sturridge in such a deal and will make a new CASH only bid. - via telegraph.co.uk

Chelsea were planning to make an improved offer for Raul Meireles on Monday night after Liverpool rejected their opening bid of £8 million plus Yossi Benayoun. It is believed Liverpool want Danny Sturridge included in the deal & not Yossi Benayoun. However Chelsea are not interested in including Danny Sturridge in such a deal and will make a new CASH only bid. - via telegraph.co.uk

8 million + Benayoun for Meireles ? Someone's not thinking straight.....

Chelsea are weighing up their next move after failing with a player plus cash offer for Raul Meireles. The Liverpool midfielder is out for ten days with a collarbone injury.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2031534/Chelsea-fail-bid-Liverpools-Raul-Meireles.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-chelseamail&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

8 million + Benayoun for Meireles ? Someone's not thinking straight.....

LFC bought him for 11.5M but now you have Scousers saying they won't take anything less than 15M. For a player who's one year older and dropped to the bench by Dalglish. Delusional.