The crowded bench of AVB

You know what I don't get, why is Lampard being finished such a bad thing or something for us to worry about so much (as in, whether he'll ever return to his old self)? The man has been playing at the highest level consistently for over 13 years (!) now, playing 40 to 60 games pretty much every season with hardly any rest. Look at the likes of Owen and Gerrard, their bodies are pretty much finished now and compare that to Lampard who's even older than them.

I'll always remember him as Chelsea and Premier League legend. But he's 33 now, he's allowed to be done and I don't care about him being finished. He's had a wonderful career in which reached the maximum of his ability, maybe even more.

It's time to move on and he needs to be replaced. It's time for him to step aside and let someone else be our main man (I know he's not the one who decides who plays). And he needs to play less so he can extend his career at the highest level like Giggs and Scholes did.

Excellent post. The sooner people come to terms with this, the better.

No, because you are saying about Lampard did this in the past and yati ya.

What I am saying is that AVB said he will play players in form! Not that they are stars, or done good in the past.

In form is now, and Lampard is not there.

If you take that argument, then Lampard should be bench, simple as that!

Ok, we all got that Lampard isnt in form and AVB said this and that....alright, but can you move on from that for just a second?

What i said in my post is that even if Lampard is not in form, Ramires still doesnt show he's effective enough to be picked over him by Boas.

So maybe AVB didnt act exactly like he said, but that's not a "Lie!!!" like your saying. For exemple, lets say that JT will play below is

avrage, do you think that AVB will replace him in Ivanovic right away? no he wouldnt. So you can say that Lampard is not in form

since he got back from his injury, but we all know that what happend in last season doesnt effect AVB decisions for this season.

And i didnt talked only about what Lampard did this in the past and yati ya. Again, very childish from you to say that.

We are not fighting, we are discussing about our team, i personally prefer to read your posts carfully and not to change them in the way i want.

Guest justin_3d

Ok, we all got that Lampard isnt in form and AVB said this and that....alright, but can you move on from that for just a second?

What i said in my post is that even if Lampard is not in form, Ramires still doesnt show he's effective enough to be picked over him by Boas.

So maybe AVB didnt act exactly like he said, but that's not a "Lie!!!" like your saying. For exemple, lets say that JT will play below is

avrage, do you think that AVB will replace him in Ivanovic right away? no he wouldnt. So you can say that Lampard is not in form

since he got back from his injury, but we all know that what happend in last season doesnt effect AVB decisions for this season.

And i didnt talked only about what Lampard did this in the past and yati ya. Again, very childish from you to say that.

We are not fighting, we are discusing about our team, i personally prefer to read your post's carfully and not to change them in the way i want.

It still a lie!

Cause even Josh showed to be better form then Lampard.

You know what I don't get, why is Lampard being finished such a bad thing or something for us to worry about so much (as in, whether he'll ever return to his old self)? The man has been playing at the highest level consistently for over 13 years (!) now, playing 40 to 60 games pretty much every season with hardly any rest. Look at the likes of Owen and Gerrard, their bodies are pretty much finished now and compare that to Lampard who's even older than them.

I'll always remember him as Chelsea and Premier League legend. But he's 33 now, he's allowed to be done and I don't care about him being finished. He's had a wonderful career in which reached the maximum of his ability, maybe even more.

It's time to move on and he needs to be replaced. It's time for him to step aside and let someone else be our main man (I know he's not the one who decides who plays). And he needs to play less so he can extend his career at the highest level like Giggs and Scholes did.

I can get down with this.

Great post ,

But i don't think lampard is finished , He will never be back to his best again but he is still a great midfielder who if used wisely can still be the most effective midfielder in the EPL.

I don't think the problem is mainly Lampard , i think it lies more in Mikel and Ramires ....

they are 2 good midfielders but Mikel just slows down the tempo too much and if you are looking to move the ball forward with quick short passes or a 1-2 , he is not your man .. and ramires takes too much time on the ball and can only add something to midfield with his drive and pace , while his passing is hardly average .

Add that to the fact that both of them lacks smart off the ball movement you will notice he gets no help at all from his midfield in terms of keeping possession or creativity !!

While upfront you have the anelkalouda who will either stand still till you give'em the ball , move around and make rounds with it and pass it back to you or shoot from 40 yards away , so his wingers aren't a great aid as well .

Lampard always had the benefit of having ballack or deco next to him , they are players who are always looking to receive the ball and play quick passes but our current midfielders are what is called shy players ...

Lampard was never a super creative midfielder but his passing is actually very good if he gets the needed support in terms of off the ball movement from other players, that is why i think him and torres will be get huge boost by Mata and Modric(if it happens) .

What Lampard is still good at:

1. Goal Scoring.

2. Killer pass in final third, that is when he's in the final third when the ball arrives there.

3. Stamina

What he has lost:

A bit of pace and speed, which is why his vertical/forward passes tend to get intercepted at times because they are late. This is why, he tends to give more sideways/square passes than usual and tends to lose the ball when harried.Its also why he doesn't reach the final third on time because he's the one who usually starts the play from the middle of the pitch,.

In my opinion, he can still put the first two plus points to good use, provided the support in central midfield is good enough to set up the play.

The other option would be to play him in a holding role. Not bad,but this would effectively prevent his goal scoring runs. However, he would be encouraged to use more of his long shots which aren't too bad either.

Great post ,

But i don't think lampard is finished...

Fair enough. But I just don't like us relying on him but I agree that he can definitely still be (very) valuable to us but so were the players I mentioned, Scholes and Giggs, without being definite starters and the same should happen to Lamps imo.

Considering our current midfield options Lampard is guaranteed a place in the starting XI week in week out , i label all of our other options (essien - ramires - mikel - oriol) as defensive midfielders , i know essien and ramires can contribute offensively but most of their game is based on intercepions and tackles while lampard's game is mainly based on assists and goals.

IMO you only need one defensive midfielder in your team , so even if we sign a creative midfielder i would keep lampard next to him .

Exactly! Point i was trying to make on the Chelsea vs Norwich thread, before i got labeled biased lol.

Considering our current midfield options Lampard is guaranteed a place in the starting XI week in week out , i label all of our other options (essien - ramires - mikel - oriol) as defensive midfielders , i know essien and ramires can contribute offensively but most of their game is based on intercepions and tackles while lampard's game is mainly based on assists and goals.

IMO you only need one defensive midfielder in your team , so even if we sign a creative midfielder i would keep lampard next to him .

Ditto..

2 attacking mids and one holding...Start of last season, Lampard himself said he preferred that kind of formation

I just hope that lampard's goes out the proper and respectful way. Its hard to play 90 minutes at 33 and to play 2 games in 2 weeks was not a very wise decision from AVB. I HOPE lamp is used as a sub or is rotated and used properly along with josh. i dont want people crying for his head and hoping he is "off-loaded". That would be shameful.

:goodpost: this is why ive been saying we shouldn't have Mikel and Ramires in the same team .