The crowded bench of AVB

I can't see Josh getting too many games, especially if modric arrives. He'll probably get the odd 10 or 15 minutes when we're a few goals up or something. Maybe he shoul go out on loan?

What kind of message will that send to him... Be one of the best players in pre-season, sign a new long-term contract, get a new much lower number for new season, and still get loaned out... that won't make much sense.

Looking at our current line up...

1 Petr Cech

2 Branislav Ivanovic

3 Ashley Cole

4 David Luiz

5 Michael Essien

6 Oriol Romeu

7 Ramires

8 Frank Lampard

9 Fernando Torres

10 Yossi Benayoun

11 Didier Drogba

12 Mikel

15 Florent Malouda

17 Jose Bosingwa

18 Romelu Lukaku

19 Paulo Ferreira

20 Josh McEachran

21 Salomon Kalou

22 Ross Turnbull

23 Daniel Sturridge

26 John Terry

33 Alex

34 Ryan Bertrand

38 Patrick van Aanholt

39 Nicolas Anelka

40 Henrique Hilario

44 Gael Kakuta

00 Mata

I still find it hard to figure out who should get the boot. Kalou is the only player I'm 100% sure could go. Both Malouda and Anelka can be frustrating to watch at times, but then they pull some goals out of the bag as on Saturday and save our skins. Frank is looking worse for wear these days (another apology to justin_3d for my run ins with him on the subject) and Drogba hasn't done a great deal the last few games either. Obviously the latter wont, and shouldn't in my opinion, get kicked out. But are they happy to spend time on the bench? If not, how does that effect the team and the dynamic? Does that lead to falling outs and the manager being undermined?

In my mind the squad is too big, and we do need to lose a few bodies. But there are others who I'd much rather see recapture their form so we could have a good strong squad going forward.

What kind of message will that send to him... Be one of the best players in pre-season, sign a new long-term contract, get a new much lower number for new season, and still get loaned out... that won't make much sense.

with Josh ..its the question of playing time ,,,If Modric comes in Josh must be loaned out ...it must be the proper loan tho

Sod it, I'd rather play McEachran and Modric together in midfield.

Mata, McEachran, Modric! The three M's bring creativity and technical football back to Stamford Bridge!

Might even get a diamond going and get Mikel in. Mikel, Mata, Modric, McEachran. Marvellous.

The best option would be the system change from 4-3-3 to 4-5-1 I guess. Mata\Malouda-Modric\McEachran\Lampard-Mikel\Oriol-McEachran\Lampard-Ramires\Essien. Ramires and Mata can move to the edge of the pitch, and ACole and Bosingwa could run up next to line... It would be amazing, I guess. This can be change easy to 4-3-3 with a simple sub during the match... Ramires<>Studge and it can be 4-3-3....

Sod it, I'd rather play McEachran and Modric together in midfield.

Mata, McEachran, Modric! The three M's bring creativity and technical football back to Stamford Bridge!

Might even get a diamond going and get Mikel in. Mikel, Mata, Modric, McEachran. Marvellous.

I agree, a midfield of Modric, McEachran and Mikel would be very creative and solid imho... Question is where do you leave Lampard, Ramires, Romeu and eventually Essien. Somebody will have to make way eventually and I'm afraid it's going to be either Essien or Mikel, but not this season. I think the club is slowly paving way for Essien to leave by bringing in Ramires and Romeu... he's becoming injury-prone and still has a respectable market value at 29 (soon).

I agree, a midfield of Modric, McEachran and Mikel would be very creative and solid imho... Question is where do you leave Lampard, Ramires, Romeu and eventually Essien. Somebody will have to make way eventually and I'm afraid it's going to be either Essien or Mikel, but not this season. I think the club is slowly paving way for Essien to leave by bringing in Ramires and Romeu... he's becoming injury-prone and still has a respectable market value at 29 (soon).

Essien's career is over in my opinion. Three big injuries and two bad knees. We've signed Romeu and Ramires and will try to sign Modric. I think the club themselves know that Essien is never going to get back to his level of 2006. Lampard is nearly at the end (already there if you ask me) and Ramires will be a very valuable squad player.

Lampard on the bench. He is no more good enough to be in the starting lineup. Essien is injured at the moment, and after those injuries... I think it will be very hard to find a form... We don't know what Romeu is made of. And Ramires is very good, and we could easely replace Modric or Josh with him dependings what we need. I mean, if we want to muscle our midfield, then play him instead of Modric/Josh.

Essien's career is over in my opinion. Three big injuries and two bad knees. We've signed Romeu and Ramires and will try to sign Modric. I think the club themselves know that Essien is never going to get back to his level of 2006. Lampard is nearly at the end (already there if you ask me) and Ramires will be a very valuable squad player.

I don't know if it's over, but I think we've milked the best out of him already... Seeing how things are standing and how we are signing youngsters atm, we might see masses leaving next summer, like Anelka, Essien, Drogba, Malouda, Kalou, Alex, Ferreira and Benayoun (if he doesn't leave now)... I think they are most likely to leave, although I don't think all of them will. Hilario or Turnbull might also be on the way with Courtois coming in. This could be the last season with the team that we all know driven by Lamps, Drogs, Essien, Malouda and Anelka... Although Drogba has already been reduced to bench and it's a matter of time before the same happens to Lampard.

Lampard on the bench. He is no more good enough to be in the starting lineup. Essien is injured at the moment, and after those injuries... I think it will be very hard to find a form... We don't know what Romeu is made of. And Ramires is very good, and we could easely replace Modric or Josh with him dependings what we need. I mean, if we want to muscle our midfield, then play him instead of Modric/Josh.

Ramires muscle :lol: ? I think you meant energy.

I think, this season we will be over stocked like we were during Carlo's first season...as most players will refuse to go. Next year we will see a mass exodus.

Out: Anelka, Malouda for Free. Alex and Essien will be sold. Drogba could be cashed in on or might go for free if he doesnt sign the contract extension.

I do not think, Kalou will be sold, because we are already losing 2 Wingers/forwards in Malouda and Anelka as their contract ends and could potentially lose Drogba too.

Forwards for Next season: Torres, Lukaku, Mata, Sturridge, Kalou, and a New Winger/Kakuta.