Juan Mata

Severinb

Luis yes, Lukaku maybe as number two but I think the stick Costa is getting is way overboard, even in a bad run like at the Moment he has had two brilliant games at WBA and Porto. Mata probably right now but this time last year he was every bit as bad as Cesc is now.

Ryan I've never been convinced as a #1 but people are entitled to an opinion, KDB depends on who is in CM, him and Cesc in the same team would be tragic off the ball.

If I'm honest out of all the players we have sold the one I regret the most is Danny, although Costa has significantly eased that pain.

ok agree to disagree ,, If we can stop Costa being a cage fighter then he does offer a lot .

Mata with the assist of the year

One of the easiest skill in the game... Honestly it was obviously nice, but if you play the game at all you do that once a game and once in a while you find another player with it. :)

We don't really now mata's contractual situation as he was negotiating with the club at the time. I think he asked high and the club did not think he deserved it. I did not think selling him was crazy, but I was expecting the club to then bet on KDB or get a proper replacement.

The squad is way too small and at times like these, it shows.

Torrid game in their heavy loss to Arsenal

United midfield was very slow and Mata adds to the problem. Mata is a difficult player to fit in team because he's too slow for the attacking positions and too weak and small for cm. not to mention pretty bad defensively.

Of course playing Ashley young as LB of all places helped too. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He's probably praying hard right now that Mourinho does not end up at United...

But IF that happens, can we go and get him back?

He's not even half the player he use to be for us and even then he had his ups and downs.

Furthermore say for argument sake he signs in January then Simeone is appointed, he will be back out of the door quicker than he was under Jose, if you think Jose was demanding with his pressing/off ball work, then you've seen nothing compared to what Diego will demand.

He's not even half the player he use to be for us and even then he had his ups and downs.

Seems like some people like to completely disregard Juan's current situation. Nevermind the fact that he started scoring every 2 games as soon as he went to United under Moyes. However, then started to play shit under a manager that plays shit football while playing him on the wing...hmmm, sounds familiar.

I would take Juan back with open arms. Juan and Hazard were a joy to watch together and now Hazard has improved even more. Not to mention he would now have the luxury of Matic in behind him and Costa in front of him, something he's never had. He's certainly better than the sack of crap that is Fabregas - who can't pass, can't score, can't defend, can't deliver a set piece. Useless.

Mata was generally involved in a lot of our team's goals either through scoring them himself or assisting...and I don't believe that bullshit argument about him needing 'the team built around him to be good'. We needed to go through Mata then because he was our best player, our goalscorer, our best chance of winning a match - this is natural for any team. Just compare the 2013 team to now and you'll see exactly what I mean. Besides, haven't we been doing the exact same thing with Hazard since he left?

Seems like some people like to completely disregard Juan's current situation. Nevermind the fact that he started scoring every 2 games as soon as he went to United under Moyes. However, then started to play shit under a manager that plays shit football while playing him on the wing...hmmm, sounds familiar.

I would take Juan back with open arms. Juan and Hazard were a joy to watch together and now Hazard has improved even more. Not to mention he would now have the luxury of Matic in behind him and Costa in front of him, something he's never had. He's certainly better than the sack of crap that is Fabregas - who can't pass, can't score, can't defend, can't deliver a set piece. Useless.

Mata was generally involved in a lot of our team's goals either through scoring them himself or assisting...and I don't believe that bullshit argument about him needing 'the team built around him to be good'. We needed to go through Mata then because he was our best player, our goalscorer, our best chance of winning a match - this is natural for any team. Just compare the 2013 team to now and you'll see exactly what I mean. Besides, haven't we been doing the exact same thing with Hazard since he left?

United fans have made exception for players because of LVG but Mata is amoung the biggest critic of the fans, and unlike with us he wasn't the shining light in a testing season so they didn't build up the same emotional connection with him, therfore look at things more objectively. Furthermore he got 6 in 15 in his first half season at OT, which is marginally Better than his goal record this season. Also last season he only bagged four assists and wasn't his end product the main argument for his case over Oscar when that debate drilled on in Jose first six months here?

You mention Cesc, well his first half of last season is better than anything Juan has produced in his career, also you (rightly) critise Cesc but Mata also had bad spells and bad games (even in his first 18 months here) and when he did he was every bit as average and anonymous as Cesc is now, but one's a nice guy and the other is an ex Gooner.....

Also the common perception is he lost form because Mourinho didnt trust him, which isn't true, he lost his form in 12/13 post January, I rememver because I went away from January to April and returned and watched all the games in February/March back in one go and I couldn't believe how much he went off the boil, the FA Cup semi vs City (the first game after i was back Iwas able to see in the moment) I was almost begging Rafa to sub him.

He gave us a good service all in all I'm not taking that away but I do feel he is somewhat overrated by Chelsea fans, if we want to get back to where we should be, we should be aiming a lot higher than Mata, in my opinion.

Id take KDB back (unfortunelty not realistic), but I wouldn't want Mata back.