test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Clevemayer

Nathaniel Chalobah

Started by Clevemayer,

1,881 posts in this topic

Loans are so hit and miss, it annoys me that Nat played so well for Watford yet we decided to loan him back to another Championship club, last season he should have been playing in the PL... I guarantee if we had Sterling or Shaw in our youth academy they would still to this day be forced out on loan to any old Championship club.

Exactly,I am personally not a huge fan of loaning players multiple times.If a player does as well as Chalobah did for Watford you give him a chance at your club or else he'll just lose heart and lose his focus and desire.We really need to grow some balls and give the likes of MVG,Romeu,Nat,Ake some chances this season.

zolayes and James like this

Loans are so hit and miss, it annoys me that Nat played so well for Watford yet we decided to loan him back to another Championship club, last season he should have been playing in the PL... I guarantee if we had Sterling or Shaw in our youth academy they would still to this day be forced out on loan to any old Championship club.

Worst part, is that we could all tell that Forest was the wrong loan for him. It was so obvious. He wanted to go back to Watford where he already knew the players and fit in well, but the club sent him to Forrest because they offered to pay 10k/wk more of his wages!

James likes this

Really curious as to what Jose's playing at with Chalobah. Omeruo has already had his loan to Boro confirmed, so you'd assume Nat isn't going there but he's got very little time in midfield so far and has been used in defence primarily but with Zouma being given the 5 shirt you'd have thought he would be ahead of him in that pecking order.

Worst case scenario is that we delay loaning him like we did last season and he ends up in the wrong place again. It's frustrating seeing Romeu selected in that DM spot as well, although that's partly down to us not having enough defenders for the first couple of games. Fingers crossed he gets 45 minutes in the next game with Cesc likely to only get the first-half.

But then you have the problem of Mikel and Ramires coming back.

"Problem" of mikel and ramires????? Problem!!! Really!!! So we should sell rambo, romeu, mvg so that poor nat can get his chance.

He is not been plaued in the mid cos we have ATLEAST 6 better players than him and that is without includong ake.

"Problem" of mikel and ramires????? Problem!!! Really!!! So we should sell rambo, romeu, mvg so that poor nat can get his chance.

He is not been plaued in the mid cos we have ATLEAST 6 better players than him and that is without includong ake.

It's nice you didn't overreact to his comment or anything.... Jesus. He meant problem as in being behind them in the pecking order, and that they haven't had their own pre season chances to prove themselves and their fitness to Mourinho. So naturally they'll almost definitely be picked over him. Pre season is a chance to prove yourself. He should've been given a chance in the midfield before these players came back but Mourinho evidently doesn't see a future for him there.

It's nice you didn't overreact to his comment or anything.... Jesus. He meant problem as in being behind them in the pecking order, and that they haven't had their own pre season chances to prove themselves and their fitness to Mourinho. So naturally they'll almost definitely be picked over him. Pre season is a chance to prove yourself. He should've been given a chance in the midfield before these players came back but Mourinho evidently doesn't see a future for him there.

Well Mikel probably is a problem. He's on high wages, a long contract and is apparently unwanted by any team even at a 'bargain' price.

Muzchap likes this

And pray tell me why exactly does not jose see a future for him in the DM role? Simple cos he is not good enough.

Pre season is about FITNESS of the players. Producing what's been practised in the training. The only reason we are playing these youth players is cos we dint have many first teaners around. Its BARELY about a chance cos believe me, jose's mind would have been nade up long before the pre season started about what his squad would have been. Dont think a couple of friendlies would change him. Take zouma for example. He has been poor in the last 2 ganes but I am willing to put everything on a bet that he is a chelsea player regardless of what happens in the pre season.

Well Mikel probably is a problem. He's on high wages, a long contract and is apparently unwanted by any team even at a 'bargain' price.

Mikel is a general problem. His lack of development and progress over the last 3/4 years has been staggeringly bad. Getting rid of him and Torres is going to be a challenge to say the least...

And pray tell me why exactly does not jose see a future for him in the DM role? Simple cos he is not good enough.

Pre season is about FITNESS of the players. Producing what's been practised in the training. The only reason we are playing these youth players is cos we dint have many first teaners around. Its BARELY about a chance cos believe me, jose's mind would have been nade up long before the pre season started about what his squad would have been. Dont think a couple of friendlies would change him. Take zouma for example. He has been poor in the last 2 ganes but I am willing to put everything on a bet that he is a chelsea player regardless of what happens in the pre season.

Well I actually agree with you that i'm not sure Chalobah is good enough. But he deserves another loan to try and prove himself, if nothing else because of the potential he showed at Watford. I guess you can look at pre season in either of our ways, but like someone can play themselves into or out of a team during the season, players can play themselves into or out of the team during pre season too. For instance, I think Boga may well get some cup game time his season if he sticks around with the U21s, it'll give us a chance to rest Hazard or Oscar which we didn't have the luxury of doing last season. I do think Jose's mind would have been mostly made up, but he still has choice to make - Fabregas or Oscar at no.10? Willian or Schurrle opposite Hazard? MVG, Fabregas or Ramires at CM? Romeu, Mikel or Chalobah as reserve DM? Zouma good enough for 3rd CB or do we need to sign another? Azpi or Ivan at RB? Cech or Courtois in goal? Bertrand or Ake as reserve LB? Loan Boga or keep him in the U21s with the odd cup game?

We might have our own opinions on answers to these questions but I think the pre season is a good time for Mourinho to objectively make his decisions, and let's be honest, they're the ones that matter.

Going on loan again. Shame because he's a massive talent but obviously the club don't think he's ready. Hoping he doesn't turn into our Pogba, the one that got away.

He is a massive talent but there's no point in making him stay and play with the reserves...

Assuming Mikel and Romeu stay, there's no space for him in midfield

I get the feeling he may end up like Jack Cork (sold for 500k to a Championship club) and ends up having a solid PL career

He is a massive talent but there's no point in making him stay and play with the reserves...

Assuming Mikel and Romeu stay, there's no space for him in midfield

I get the feeling he may end up like Jack Cork (sold for 500k to a Championship club) and ends up having a solid PL career

I do agree with the first bit. The guy needs to start looking at his own career and really start making his mark but it needs to be at the right club.

It is somewhat irksome that the unflushable Mikel is still going to be on the payroll next year purely because no team who could potentially pay his wages would waste that much money on him. Romeu could kick on but needs to be tested against better opposition.

Nat's problem is that he has Loftus-Cheek coming through as well now who is a similar type of player with just as much potential, and Van Ginkel just ahead of him. On the one hand it's a nice problem to have but it's just one more kick in the bollocks for anyone who bothers to take an interest in the youth teams.

Muzchap likes this

I think this is the start of the slow realisation that Chalobah isn't good enough and/or won't be a Chelsea player in 2-3 years time.

I think this is the start of the slow realisation that Chalobah isn't good enough and/or won't be a Chelsea player in 2-3 years time.

I think it's more that he'll be a victim of circumstance in much the same way Matic and Pogba were. Then it's up to him to make the most of whatever opportunities he gets after that.

Muzchap and Mufassir08 like this

I think it's more that he'll be a victim of circumstance in much the same way Matic and Pogba were. Then it's up to him to make the most of whatever opportunities he gets after that.

Circumstances being that a) the manager seemingly isn't a fan and b ) we have better players/prospects around his age in both defence and midfield.

The Jack Cork comments made earlier makes sense, wouldn't surprise me if his career pans out in similar fashion.

Reddish-Blue likes this

The difference between Chalobah and Pogba is the latter always seemed to have that 'edge' to his game, played with a chip on his shoulder

Chalobah is a quality talent...but due to the likes of Aké, RLC, even Baker progressing through the youth ranks, his chances of making it at Chelsea are becoming increasingly slim

It's interesting when you think about it...a few years ago, McEachran and Chalobah were two of the most promising talents in England...now due to poor loan spells, they could be heading for the exit door sooner rather than later :cry:

Jose Mourinho has confirmed that a number of Chelsea youngsters will leave the club on loan this summer, including highly-rated duo Patrick Bamford and Nathaniel Chalobah and midfielder John Swift.