Paulo Ferreira

Kieran.

What a SUPERB pro he is. His fitness levels for someone who hasn't been playing at all is simply amazing.

Compare his performance, energy, work ethic to some of our other players and you will think he's the one playing week in week out, and not them

My thoughts exactly. It's also no secret how he's one of our weaker and slower players but he gets the job done.

If it means getting shot of Bosingwa i'm more than happy for Paulo to be in the squad next season. Lots of experience should be leaving us this summer i see no harm in keeping the best 3rd choice Right Back in the league on our books. If it aint broke ....

We have a lot of games in the run in and i think he should be the man playing when Ivan is injured/needs a rest.

If it means getting shot of Bosingwa i'm more than happy for Paulo to be in the squad next season. Lots of experience should be leaving us this summer i see no harm in keeping the best 3rd choice Right Back in the league on our books. If it aint broke .... We have a lot of games in the run in and i think he should be the man playing when Ivan is injured/needs a rest.

Is he out of contract this summer? I don't mind him staying as long as he takes (or perhaps he's already taken) a massive wage cut

He was a beast against Benfica. If he takes a 50% pay cut, I think he should stay at the club.

1. Ivan

2. Paulo

3. Bosingwa

Its highly unlikely that he will take a pay cut.I think he and Bosingwa should definitely be on the list for the summer exodus.We need to bring in a natural right back and not always depend on Ivanovic's versatility.

Its highly unlikely that he will take a pay cut.I think he and Bosingwa should definitely be on the list for the summer exodus.We need to bring in a natural right back and not always depend on Ivanovic's versatility.

Why not? £10,000 - £20,000 p/w is still a damn lot of money. More than most of us will ever see, besides he couldn't be that greedy.

Why not? £10,000 - £20,000 p/w is still a damn lot of money. More than most of us will ever see, besides he couldn't be that greedy.

I personally feel it will be better if both of them just leave.Ferreira has truly been a legend for us but its time he moves on to another club.Their departure will also help Hutchinson get some game time so maybe its for the best if Paulo and Bosingwa leave.

• 3 weeks later...

Why should Paulo take a pay cut to stay at the club? He might not turn it down but he or others in the squad/club might see it as a sign of disrespect towards him. Why treat a player like this? Paulo's experience is vital and he would help Portuguese speaking players bed in to the club or possibly help attract them. Also he may not be the best full back in the league, but he does a bloody good job when hes in the team, true example of a top top pro. Never moans about playing time or anything, just goes in, does what he has to do. If only a few more of the players in the squad were more like this guy.

Why should Paulo take a pay cut to stay at the club? He might not turn it down but he or others in the squad/club might see it as a sign of disrespect towards him. Why treat a player like this? Paulo's experience is vital and he would help Portuguese speaking players bed in to the club or possibly help attract them. Also he may not be the best full back in the league, but he does a bloody good job when hes in the team, true example of a top top pro. Never moans about playing time or anything, just goes in, does what he has to do. If only a few more of the players in the squad were more like this guy.

We had a discussion similar a few months back when Badboy lashed out against Paulo. It's not that I don't like the guy, I do respect him for the things you've stated above, but the fact is he shouldn't be a player here. Give him a job at the club as like a coach or player-relations ambassador or something like that. The fact that we believe he should be our second choice right-back says a lot about the lack of quality we have in that position and I believe neither Bosingwa or Ferreira should be playing at this club, the former shouldn't be anywhere near the club.

We had a discussion similar a few months back when Badboy lashed out against Paulo. It's not that I don't like the guy, I do respect him for the things you've stated above, but the fact is he shouldn't be a player here. Give him a job at the club as like a coach or player-relations ambassador or something like that. The fact that we believe he should be our second choice right-back says a lot about the lack of quality we have in that position and I believe neither Bosingwa or Ferreira should be playing at this club, the former shouldn't be anywhere near the club.

Hmm I see where your coming from, its just as other people said that we should ask him to stay and reduce his wages, which imo seems very disrespectful to a loyal servant of the club. It wouldn't happen to the likes of Lampard, Terry, Drogba etc.

Hmm I see where your coming from, its just as other people said that we should ask him to stay and reduce his wages, which imo seems very disrespectful to a loyal servant of the club. It wouldn't happen to the likes of Lampard, Terry, Drogba etc.

It's not disrespectful because he's in the twilight of his career, and plays like 3 games a season. He literally turns up to be a friendly bloke, do training and then go home with his paycheck to his family. He will never expect to play - though he will be ready to - and he knows because he's a "nice guy" no-one will question it. Till now. Now I won't go as far as to compare him to Bogarde. But take away the "nice guy" persona and what do we have left?

It's not disrespectful because he's in the twilight of his career, and plays like 3 games a season. He literally turns up to be a friendly bloke, do training and then go home with his paycheck to his family. He will never expect to play - though he will be ready to - and he knows because he's a "nice guy" no-one will question it. Till now. Now I won't go as far as to compare him to Bogarde. But take away the "nice guy" persona and what do we have left?

Yes he is a nice guy and is in the twilight of his career but he is more than willing and enthusiastic than some of the current squad who play like 20 times more than him each season, even though he knows he is a last resort and will play like 3 games a season. Look at Lampard, Essien, Terry and Cole when they were on the bench against Napoli, in fact look at Lampard earlier on in the season where he was in a huff because he was being rotated in and out of the squad. He complained because he was getting 20-30 minutes some weeks and only starting half the games he usually had and basically, isn't Lampard not in the twilight of his career as well?

You mention if you take away the nice guy persona from Paulo you have a top pro, but what do you have if you take away the legendary status from Lamps and Drogba? Big name players who throw the toys out of the pram every now and then and probably reckon they are bigger than Chelsea Football Club itself.

If we are going to get rid of Paulo because he is in the twilight of his career shouldn't Lamps and Didier not follow? Personally I think Paulo should be allowed to finish his contract and be offered a coaching role, just to show respect to someone who has shown so much respect towards the club, managers, staff and players.

Yes he is a nice guy and is in the twilight of his career but he is more than willing and enthusiastic than some of the current squad who play like 20 times more than him each season, even though he knows he is a last resort and will play like 3 games a season. Look at Lampard, Essien, Terry and Cole when they were on the bench against Napoli, in fact look at Lampard earlier on in the season where he was in a huff because he was being rotated in and out of the squad. He complained because he was getting 20-30 minutes some weeks and only starting half the games he usually had and basically, isn't Lampard not in the twilight of his career as well?

You mention if you take away the nice guy persona from Paulo you have a top pro, but what do you have if you take away the legendary status from Lamps and Drogba? Big name players who throw the toys out of the pram every now and then and probably reckon they are bigger than Chelsea Football Club itself.

If we are going to get rid of Paulo because he is in the twilight of his career shouldn't Lamps and Didier not follow? Personally I think Paulo should be allowed to finish his contract and be offered a coaching role, just to show respect to someone who has shown so much respect towards the club, managers, staff and players.

I'm actually in the camp that Drogba and Lampard should actually.

It's not disrespectful to offer a lower wage because a lower wage to him, is something us normal working people could only dream of lmao, You forget these guys are millionaires and like any job, the most talented people in that field should be rewarded with a better wage. Paulo is not at the top of his field by any stretch of the imagination. It's disrespectful on his part for in fact signing new contracts when he knows he's not going to be playing.