• Fabregas
    • Bakayoko
    • Hazard
    • Morata
    • Rudiger (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Willian (sub)

https://www.football-italia.net/111516/conte-chelsea-changes-didnt-work

“The effort the players put in was the maximum and I thank them,” Conte told Mediaset Premium.

“We suffered in the first half and the decision to change system didn’t pay off, as it took away all our guarantees. We were basically improvising and it showed, as we suffered under Roma’s pressing.

“We scored two goals, but the sensation was always that we didn’t feel in control of the match. I have to take responsibility, as it was my decision to change the system to make up for the lack of options. I changed the David Luiz position to strengthen the midfield and I don’t think it worked, to be honest.”

Chelsea were missing N’Golo Kante, Victor Moses and Danny Drinkwater, so returned to 3-5-2 with defender David Luiz in midfield.

“It’s not about injuries, but trying to get the best out of the team. The same players have been going all the time since pre-season. We’ve got three injuries, not seven or eight, but it’s still an emergency situation for us.

“David Luiz had a problem with his calf, Bakayoko finished with a problem in his adductor and I hope it’s nothing serious.

“Despite all that, we drew with a very good Roma side and I can only praise my players. When you change system, it’s all improvisation and tonight we were improvising. That is something I don’t like, because I prefer organisation and to fight it out in our own way.

“I have to thank my players for their efforts, because without that, we would not have managed a point here.”

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Musonda is very light weight though. He'll get castrated out there even against sub-optimal opposition. 

Your probably right, but desperate times and all that. I know it's a different planet of football but in my team last season we had a player of similar build at RWB, and prepared our shape for when he was wiped out defensively and reverted to a back 4 with two DM's infront and it worked well, the fact our RCB was a natural RB helped.

Lets be realistic here......To challenge on all fronts like we are, you need at least two "world class" players for each position. Take City, that's exactly what the have after a good pre-season transfer market. We don't even have one "world class" player for every position. Apart from Hazard, I cant see another Chelsea player that would get into City's side.

Our manager can't pull another rabbit out of the hat this year unless he gets the financial backing of the board. They can talk about bringing through youth all they like, but at the end of the day you have to buy big to stay at the top in all competitions,and we have not done that. Therefore we will reap what the board failed to sow

The utterly simple thing here is that at the moment we're a terrible footballing side. It's honestly that simple and the root of every problem we have. 

It mainly comes from the fact that Conte seems to have forgotten what pressing is. We're playing at home ffs! Where's the intensity of last season, where we would press from our front three and in case of any long ball being played, our center backs would work perfectly at the half way line to win the ball back and start the attack again? We're too deep, too reactive, and terrible on the break. A side that doesn't press is absolutely horrible to watch. You'd think it'd be a viable strategy for us since we're terrible under pressure and it'd give us a chance to be on the front foot. But no, the same consistent sitting back rubbish every game, regardless of the level of the opposition. Fucking dire.

3 hours ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

It's not the players. Half of them are not CFC calibre. It's the fucking board that missed out on all Conte's first choice targets for the 2nd season in a row. Stop blaming the players. What do you expect from a team that fields players with the quality of Alonso, Moses, Zappacosta and Cahill?  We won a championship but there's only so long you can get away with that. We're getting our wake up call now!

Thought we had our wake up call in 15/16... apparently the board need to experience it again to realise they aren’t leading the club in the right direction per se. 

Chelsea players dnt help and run to open spaces so tht their temmates can pass the ball to. Back 3 of Chelsea will pass the ball  back to Coutious. The keeper will kick the ball to the opponent so many times. No build up  frm midfield to attack. Chelsea players are football fans in the field , rooted on the ground.

Willian man...everytime he fucks up a simple pass and tv zooms in on his reaction, he is like sorry not sorry I dont realy give a shit.

And he had that kind of attitude for months now. 

He clearly isnt bothered to play, should be sold as soon as possible. 

That attitude is just awful. 

I don't understand why Hazard was replaced immediately after he scored the equalizer.
15 minutes remained and it was going to be a push for the 4th.
Hazard looked ok and Willian could have replaced someone else - if Antonio felt Willian could be of some use.
Our attacking sting was cut down to 50% !