Yuri Zhirkov

the wes

He won the 2004-05 UEFA Cup with PFC CSKA Moscow, scoring in the final itself. He mainly plays as an attacking left winger although he can play as a left back or left wingback. His trickery and abundance of creativity makes him one of CSKA Moscow's and Russia's most prized assets. He is also a very hard working player who often tracks back and is a solid marker and sliding tackler.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won the 2004-05 UEFA Cup with PFC CSKA Moscow, scoring in the final itself. He mainly plays as an attacking left winger although he can play as a left back or left wingback. His trickery and abundance of creativity makes him one of CSKA Moscow's and Russia's most prized assets. He is also a very hard working player who often tracks back and is a solid marker and sliding tackler.

Sounds like all the attributes we look for in a winger. Nicknamed the "Russian Ronaldinho" as well, hopefully if we sign him he will be what we are looking for. Will be nice to Chelsea with flying wings again....

yea cause we havent actually signed him

infact his club say they havent even had an official offer or contact from us lmao

It is more than possible that a deal is in place but the terms are that neither club are to confirm anything until Chelsea appoint their new manager. As i said, it would probably not look good for us to start confirming signings until we have a new manager.

Im sure if we do actually sign him it will be for a good price. I very good signing in my opinion. And what from I can see everyones seems to agree. Versatility is the key with this guy and he will be comfotable being rotated until he finds his feet in England. Good competition for Malouda as well

He is fast and dribbles alot. He plays as a Left Winger, Wing Back or Left Back. He and Malouda will be competing for the Left Wing. Also, if and when Ashely cole is injured or rested we can have him play they Left Back role and Malouda in the attacking role.

He was a standout player in EURO 08.

i thought he was like 23 not 25 <_<

and 18 million is very pricey for the power abramovich has in russia.

true true

seems like Roman's name can't get any discount for us.  :lol:

CSKA Moscow winger Yuri Zhirkov is in the dark over a move to Chelsea.

"I honestly know as much about it as everyone else," he told Sport Express ahead of Russia's impending 2010 World Cup qualifier against Finland.

"I read the papers, listen to the radio and I am genuinely surprised, given that no actual offer from Chelsea exists."

While distancing himself from a switch to Stamford Bridge at the present time, Zhirkov did admit he would be open to a move to West London should a suitable opportunity arise.

"Clearly we are talking about one of the best clubs in the world, who regularly compete at the highest level," he added.

"It is very possible that I would say yes. But before that I would have to weigh up the pros and cons. To sit on the bench and only get on the pitch from time to time doesn't interest me, not even at Chelsea.

"Moreover, I have nothing to lose (by staying in Moscow), given that CSKA now have a very interesting team who will begin competing in the Champions League in the autumn."

Actually this could prove a stumbing block in our signings. We have an incredibly strong main 11, and it will take a very special player to break into that straight away, someone like Zhirkov would have to work his way into that starting 11 and it sounds like he may not be willing to do that. Same could be said of someone like Pato.

My wife being a CSKA Moscow fan (as well as Chelsea of course) means I have watched a lot of their matches this season, I think he would make good addition if he comes here, but CSKA & their fans will really miss him if he leaves, which could well be why he is being reticent about any negotiation taking place at present.

Barcelona are planning to hijack Chelsea's bid for Russia star Yuri Zhirkov.

The newly crowned European champions are buoyed the CSKA Moscow player's comments that he would not go to Stamford Bridge to be merely a squad player.

The 25-year-old was also gushing in his praise for the Catalans in the run-up to the Champions League defeat of Manchester United.

However, Chelsea are still favourites to complete an £18.6m deal and Zhirkov would also face no guarantees of a starting place at the Nou Camp.

Pep Guardiola identified five areas to boost his treble-winning team and sees versatile Zhirkov as a two-in-one because he would cover for Eric Abidal at left-back as well as providing a threat on the left wing in the absence of Thierry Henry.

Former Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink dodged questions about Zhirkov in his first interviews since returning his full attention to the Russia national team, but he hinted that his players would benefit from playing abroad.

Hiddink confirmed he would informally continue to advise Chelsea and says he has already had a conversation with his successor Carlo Ancelotti about a number of topics.

But the Dutchman would not go into detail about Zhirkov, who he and Blues owner Roman Abramovich watched play against Aston Villa in the UEFA Cup earlier this year.

Asked if he had recommended the player to Abramovich, Hiddink smiled broadly before saying: 'Let me not comment on it. I am here to deal with the affairs of the Russian national team.

'I've kept a good relationship with Chelsea. As for Yuri, I called him up for Russia, I am their head coach, and as for anything else except the national team - such as Chelsea or CSKA - it is not my intention to comment.'

But he did say that Russians would benefit from the English experience, just as Andrey Arshavin at Arsenal and Roman Pavlyuchenko at Tottenham Hotspur have.

'The difference between Russia and Chelsea is that Chelsea have many world-class stars who train hard to achieve their success.

'Russia players are also learning this abroad and are beginning to be recognised among the best players in Europe.

'They are learning that to be a top star in international football, they must work very hard in training and never complain.'

Barcelona realise they are second favourites to sign Zhirkov because of the close relationship between CSKA and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich. The Spanish club are also considering former Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise and Deportivo la Coruna's Filipe Luis.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You