Michael Essien

LDN Blue

I thought he looked really good when he came on yesterday. Thoughts?

I noticed how quickly he got back into "the groove"...A lot of his passing was forward, rather than the sort of sideways passing that you can expect from a player trying to get back on his feet..Went for the ball, and also had a chance on goal...

However it was only for the last few minutes of one game, and is still yet to exhibit the sort of pressing and drive we've come to expect from him...So I'd wait for another couple of games before judging him completely.

• 2 weeks later...

I’M BACK! - Michael Essien on the last couple of months

Hello everyone,

It’s official – I am back and happy to be back doing what I do best. It’s been a journey and a half and I want to dedicate this blog to

everyone who said a prayer or two for me.

Way back in July when I broke down in pre-season training my mind went back to the pain I suffered during my previous rehabilitations.

I had had a brilliant restful summer and was looking forward to the season. I did some pre-season work at home a week before training started and was feeling good about myself. So to break down immediately on my return was a major setback for me and a real disappointment.

This was my third big injury and you can imagine how I felt knowing that I had to go through the six-month process all over again. It was heart-breaking but I had to be strong and believe in my powers of recovery.

The rehab process is slow, long-winded and painfully lonely.

The medical team at Chelsea are superb and very supportive but as a player all you want to do is train with your friends and travel as a group. However, when you are injured, your programme is different and you spend hours in the gym, on the physio’s table or in the pool while your mates have

fun on the training pitch. Occasionally another player gets injured and you get a bit of company but you really miss the rest of the team.

Being a regular in the medical department, I settled in quite easily and started my comeback after the operation, however I couldn’t have done it without the support of my family, friends, everyone at Chelsea and YOU the supporters.

The well wishes and messages you sent me kept me going and I cannot thank you enough. I got words of encouragement, poems, pictures, suggestions on how to get better and generally people urging me to stay strong.

You are the best and I hope to give back to you on the pitch as you have given to me off it.

To the medical team at Chelsea, I want to say a big “thank you” for your hard work as usual, and hopefully you won’t see me again (as a patient) if you know what I mean!

To everyone, it’s “thank you” for being there for Michael Essien and I am glad to repeat: ‘It’s official – Michael Essien is back!’

Now I am looking forward to helping the team win a trophy or two this season.

Lastly, good luck to the Black Stars at the African Cup of Nations – they are still my bet to win the trophy.

Ess

http://blogs.chelseafc.com/?p=1486

Shoulda been taken off after 70 mins tho or just after they got the first goal. He was in no position to be running up and down for 90 minutes, he was shattered. Should do him the power of good tho for future games. If he was fully fit, they wouldn't of got so much space in those last 20 mins. So glad he's back tho.