test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DavidEU

Nemanja Matic

Started by DavidEU,

4,238 posts in this topic

Been average since the second half of the 14/15 season. Wouldn't miss him and could easily find a replacement. 

Selling Matic would not be a big miss. I think the whole idea of bringing in Bakayoko has put a firm line under his time at Chelsea and it's time for him to move on. 

Not exactly a reliable player IMO anyway, in the 14/15 season he was phenomenal, but he's never been the same since that season.

Under Mourinho, he'll probably find his form again, not under Conte though, sadly. 

bigbluewillie likes this

We need upgrade on him, I don't mind him staying with us, as long as we bring someone better who will start ahead of him. Also, I hate it when we sell players to direct rivals, especially if it is manure, the only way I'd be happy to sell him to them is for foolish price as 30-45mln.

18 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Who knows, maybe we want Bakayoko AND Tolisso?, while Matic leaves...

No definitely not both of them. Bakayoko looks like more of a possibility than Tolisso.

If we get Bakayoko and sell Matic, we'll end up with Kante, Fabregas, and Bakayoko as central options, with Loftus-Cheek and Baker as our homegrown players in and amongst them. I don't think we need to go beyond this!

People seem to forget about homegrown players and we need enough of these to compete in Europe next season. Plus, I think Lewis Baker can be a big player for us. Conte can find some good stuff in him! He just helped Vitesse win a Dutch Cup, so it's not as if he isn't understanding what being a champion feels like. 

22 hours ago, Pizy said:

Seeing more and more rumblings about him going to United. Please don't let our our be stupid enough to send a very good player to a direct rival. Matic may not be a first choice player for us next season but he's still far too good to be sold to a team that will surely be challenging us for the title. He would complete their midfield and free up Pogba to roam around more easily.

Unless we're bringing in world class players in their positions there's absolutely no way we should even consider sending players like Matic or Willian to direct rivals. These are they quality options a top side needs to challenge on every front.

Any player who'll just stand there without going forward will 'free up Pogba' and unlock their midfield. Doesn't matter if it's Matic or Bakayoko, or their own youth player. Man United have to sign somebody, and they'll improve; may as well have the money go to us, lose a player not good enough, and be forced to improve ourselves.

It would be very stupid to not sell him, regardless of the interested party. From Cech to Ronaldo, plenty of players have gone to direct rivals before, without necessarily individually improving, nor taking the team they joined to the next level.

Last Summer it was 'All Arsenal need is a great goalie.' Now 'All United need is a midfielder'. Like Matic specifically?:lol: So scary, I already see him winning awards, chasing down anyone who runs past him & balancing that with good releases of the ball to his teammates :lol: If Fellaini doesn't unlock Pogba or 'free' their midfield then Matic wouldn't either. He isn't the player he was at Benfica, and he isn't going back to that player.

DYC. likes this

Should be nowhere near the starting line-up come next season, but would not sell him to United either. Bet Mourinho would show us the middle finger even if we are to offer 120M for Martial, don't see why the other way around should be different. 

1 hour ago, chrismada9 said:

No definitely not both of them. Bakayoko looks like more of a possibility than Tolisso.

If we get Bakayoko and sell Matic, we'll end up with Kante, Fabregas, and Bakayoko as central options, with Loftus-Cheek and Baker as our homegrown players in and amongst them. I don't think we need to go beyond this!

People seem to forget about homegrown players and we need enough of these to compete in Europe next season. Plus, I think Lewis Baker can be a big player for us. Conte can find some good stuff in him! He just helped Vitesse win a Dutch Cup, so it's not as if he isn't understanding what being a champion feels like. 

If we sell Matic, then we will definately get two midfielders. 

We need another new CM, not just replacement for Matic. Im sure there will be some experimentation with midfield next season, maybe even 3:5:2 and if that is our future, Baker fits it and we can maybe even play Cesc for big games. But if we insist on pivot, then we need four capable mids, only Kante and ocassionaly Cesc fit that bill (if we sell Matic).

I guess Chalobah can step up, but not Baker, he is not pivot player.

Regarding youth, I pray Baker makes it here, he seems very level headed and coming after great season. Now he needs to play as much as possible in PL next season to continue development. Not just a game once a month in cup. If Conte doesnt plan on using him regulary, loan to PL club would be best for him. Same for RLC, he needs play time even more.

I dont see Baker in current formation ever. He would be perfect in Lamps role in three man midfield, but as pivot next to Kante...no way.

Baka/Tolisso-Kante-Cesc and eventualy Baker takes Cesc spot, or we go with Kante-Tolisso and keep Matic, Cesc for backup, but again Baker has no place.

akgw13 likes this

If we sell him, it better not be to another English club. Let alone mounure. I believe that in a 3 man midfield he could possibly work, and if not have him as a squad player.

King11Didier likes this

14 hours ago, BlueStorm1003 said:

If we sell him, it better not be to another English club. Let alone mounure. I believe that in a 3 man midfield he could possibly work, and if not have him as a squad player.

I don't subscribe to this idea. Footballers are not slaves. If, I say if, the man and his family have decided to build their lives here in England then why have we the right to decide that he must disrupt those plans? I know it's not a widely held point of view, but I'm proud of the way the club put the wishes of Petr & Juan ahead of narrow self interest. In any case predictions of doom following from those deals have proved to be groundless.

I accept that there are limits to the amount of self sacrifice players can demand of Chelsea. Eden Hazard to Man City, for example, would be footballing suicide but, Nemanja is Not Eden Hazard. If he wants to go to Manu, then let him. For the right price of course.

On 31.5.2017 at 4:46 PM, TheWiz said:

I don't know .. I mean ... I can only say that we disagree on many Points ...

1) I've seen Matic dribble ... past ... two, threee even four Opponents nonchalantly. Never seen Kante do that. I really don't understand what you base your Opinion on. His passing is not underrated, compared to Matic. It's weak. He also lacks the Vision Matic posesses.

2) Of coure he makes more Runs .. He is positioned more offensively while Matic has more defensive Duties. I agree with you that he is faster than Matic, He is more lively  .. I also believe he is equal a Tackler ... maybe even better. But he does not posess Matics Vision and Passing Accuracy.

3) Yeah .. I think I can agree here.

As fore hitting the Ball ... Yeah I mean .. hitting a Wonder Goal once  is nice and probably Coincidence .. Hitting Wonder Goals Twice ore more is most likely Skill and Talent ...

You are right, Matic has a knack of scoring cracker goals every few years. That is fine for highlight reels, but I prefer central midifielders who score double figures of ugly goals every season over players who score only a nominal amount of goals no matter how beautiful those are. 

His performance in the 1-0 win at City in 2014 is one of my favourite memories of that season. His physical battle with Yaya was thrilling and he dominated that midfield. His 2014 was amazing. If he were stil that good, I would be adamant to keep him, but his performances have deteriorated so much since then, I am still rubbing my eyes how such a talented player has become such a useless beanpole in minimum time. That being said...

On 31.5.2017 at 8:23 PM, TheWiz said:

You are right. And I fear the worst ... Rumours about him leaving to United are intensifying day by day ...

16:00pm: Nemanja Matic reportedly wants to quit Chelsea for Manchester United.

That is according to the Manchester Evening News, who claim he wants to link up with Jose Mourinho again.

Mourinho is targeting a central midfielder in order to coax the best out of Paul Pogba next season.

And Matic could now make the move to Old Trafford - with both clubs now haggling over a fee. 

Please don't let him leave Antonio. Just don't ...

giphy.gif

Beigl and Footballover like this

Would be hilarious if Jose goes for a Fellaini- Matic double pivot. 

Jokes aside, I think we should keep him as a squad player. He has some weaknesses, but against most premier league clubs he can be useful when he is used properly. Of course he isn´t a good athlete, which means that it is far from a good idea to start him all season, his stamina is pretty underwhelming for a professional footballer. I hope we sign good midfielder, altough there aren´t many of decent quality on the market. I think Corentin Tolisso is quite good, because he can put in a shift defensively while he is also able to dictate the play from midfield. He has exactly the attributes which we are looking for, but I don´t know if he is good enough to transfer his style to England yet. 

Footballover likes this

It's Contes job to lure out the best of a Player.

We've all seen what a Matic on top of his Game is able to do. We saw it two Seasons ago ... When he forced opposing Midfields into Submission on a regular Basis, when he marshalled our Midfield better than any Chelsea Player before him in History.

If Conte is not able to squeeze the best out of a footballing Genius like Matic, then what can we expect from Conte in the upcoming Seasons, with Midfielders like Bakayoko or Nainggolan, who are far less versatile compared to Matic?

The Fact we have not sold him yet to United ore any other Club is a good Sign fore Conte knowing much more about his Players, than we do.

34 minutes ago, TheWiz said:

It's Contes job to lure out the best of a Player.

We've all seen what a Matic on top of his Game is able to do. We saw it two Seasons ago ... When he forced opposing Midfields into Submission on a regular Basis, when he marshalled our Midfield better than any Chelsea Player before him in History.

If Conte is not able to squeeze the best out of a footballing Genius like Matic, then what can we expect from Conte in the upcoming Seasons, with Midfielders like Bakayoko or Nainggolan, who are far less versatile compared to Matic?

The Fact we have not sold him yet to United ore any other Club is a good Sign fore Conte knowing much more about his Players, than we do.

Oh my god, are you for real? I am starting to think you are not trolling... "when he marshalled our Midfield better than any Chelsea Player before him in History"... How deluded can you get... 

I mean, I like Matic but to say he is a football genius is an insult for the sport.

And Nainggolan is less versatile than him :D LOL

Beigl likes this

1 hour ago, Footballover said:

Oh my god, are you for real? I am starting to think you are not trolling... "when he marshalled our Midfield better than any Chelsea Player before him in History"... How deluded can you get...

I am not deluded.

Ok maybe I was wrong, and Gianfranco Zola was better ... But that's about it.

And yes, Matic is a Football Genius ... And it's Conte's Job to reach deep and drag it out of Matic right on that Pitch.

1 hour ago, TheWiz said:

I am not deluded.

And yes, Matic is a Football Genius ... And it's Conte's Job to reach deep and drag it out of Matic right on that Pitch.

Deluded is not the word for it son are you seriously saying that Matic is only behind Zola in Chelsea's all time best player?. Matic the genius who was sold to Benfica had one good season for us and looks like he's on his way to Man United ?

2 hours ago, TheWiz said:

R.I.P. Lampard 

:philjones