• Torres
    • Mikel (sub)
    • Schurrle (sub)
    • Essien (sub)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very solid match by us against a team that was flawless marking and pressing in the first half. It was obvious they wouldn't be able to keep it up the 90 minutes because for a high pressing team to master it, they have to play like that the whole season and the physical drills in training sessions must support it otherwise the energy runs out quickly - which it did.

I agree we didn't create much in the first, but this team is patient, we've been in control the whole time and we weren't threatened. I've never felt like we weren't winning this (although that 2nd goal was unexpected for me).

Our defense stopped having the blips it had on Oscar's absence (which may be or not a coincidence), and proved again that we're very solid defensively.

Hazard is the guy, he's really making the difference for us.

I think Ramires had a bad match until Mikel came in. Azpilicueta also didn't have a great match imo... he had better matches in the left than today in his rightful.

People seem to overreact though about our 'lack of style'. First of all this is a lie, we have a style. We don't rely on our individual brilliance as much as people make it out to be. When you have such a brilliant defensive work done by the opponent ofc you're going to rely on individual plays! breaking collectively is hard because the other team makes it hard. I don't understand most complaints people had about that first half. It was a difficult first half, playing away against a very solid team. What was the expectation?

We continue to be solid, both offensively and defensively. Our pivot continues to be our letdown, but it's a broken record repeating it, stating the obvious so I won't say much about it. Cole had a good match, his best in a very long time - probably the season...

One more thing though. Hazard normally drags 2-3 (or four like today) players with him, we should be able to capitalize the space it creates for other players. It's mathematical... there are only 10 outfield players, if the opposition has 2, 3, 4 in one guy it means the other guys have less people marking them. We need to learn to explore it better.

Oh I didn't see the game, but how did Luiz do in midfield?

His passing was horrible. He missed a couple easy passes and never connected a long pass.

He made up for it defensively though for me, he intercepted many balls and dominated in the air when needed.

Oh I didn't see the game, but how did Luiz do in midfield?

Really rather well. There's a greater deal of urgency to his passing than there is to Mikel's and some of his long passes were absolutely fantastic, turning the defence. Also started the move for the first goal. Defensively a bit of a rock too and the pressure he applies from the pivot is fantastic.

My MOTM.

His passing was horrible. He missed a couple easy passes and never connected a long pass.

He made up for it defensively though for me, he intercepted many balls and dominated in the air when needed.

he had a long ball perfect on Eden's feet at the edge of the box in the first half, but Eden's ball control let him down.

I don't think his passing was horrible, better than Ramires imo. He's playing out of position, I don't expect him to excel it. He's had a good match imo, but nothing that stands out.

Defence was solid as a rock. Cole and Azpilicueta played well, Cole was involved in the build up in both the goal and Oscar's chance.

Luiz played well for me, Was a presence, seen alot of the ball. I think his long range passing needs some work, But he is also a threat going forward. Oscar never gave up the whole game, Willian kept going and Hazard was unplayable.

Torres was shite, but he scored. He's been playing well and not scoring for alot of his Chelsea career so fuck it, Well taken goal, More of that please.

Also, when was the last time we were top of the league in January? Feels good.

he had a long ball perfect on Eden's feet at the edge of the box in the first half, but Eden's ball control let him down.

I don't think his passing was horrible, better than Ramires imo. He's playing out of position, I don't expect him to excel it. He's had a good match imo, but nothing that stands out.

Anyone can pass better than Ramires :lol: but by his usual standards, he over-hit too many of his routine long balls.

But you're right about the one to Hazard, not Luiz' fault that.