Oscar

themightyblue

If we do sign someone to play in the #10 position in January or the summer, I hope we go for a player whos coming up to his best years because Oscar's inconsistency is frustrating the hell out of me this season. Hes always improved each season since coming here but the consistency is his main problem. Subbed the last two games in a row at 45 minutes says it all.

People are focusing on Schürrle only atm, but Oscar also got subbed at half-time for a second time (in a row). It's obvious now that we will bring in some players this transfer window.

It's obvious that we need to strengthen the squad yes, but that's not the same as being obvious that we will. :)

The problem with him imo is not his size. It is the question of does he have any outstanding qualities such as pace, dribbling or creativity. He is not poor in any of those aspects but he is not outstanding in any of those attributes either. What I see often is that he is able to play well with other members of the team but he cannot do anything spectacular if we are playing poor. For me that is down to the fact that he is not outstanding in particularly anything. Sounds harsh but that is how I feel.

Apologies for repeating myself but in Oscar we have a player who is of backup quality. Outstanding is the benchmark to be a starting quality ten for a club with our ambitions.

People are focusing on Schürrle only atm, but Oscar also got subbed at half-time for a second time (in a row). It's obvious now that we will bring in some players this transfer window.

This transfer window? Doubt it. Who can we realistically get anyway?

Mourinho clearly sent a message about him in that audio post match interview in the match's thread.

He doesn't seem to have the right mind to approach games and take responsibility.

I still like him as a player, but he needs to take the same large steps Hazard has been given in his development. Oscar seems to take one forward, two back.

Mourinho clearly sent a message about him in that audio post match interview in the match's thread.

He doesn't seem to have the right mind to approach games and take responsibility.

I still like him as a player, but he needs to take the same large steps Hazard has been given in his development. Oscar seems to take one forward, two back.

He has to take even bigger steps than Eden because Eden is a lot more talented than Oscar. Eden has to take big steps because he has the ambition of winning the Ballon D'or and he's getting there. Oscar on the other hand seems to be shying away and doesn't seem to be willing to step up to take the responsibility of becoming a great player. He'll never win the Ballon D'or because he doesn't really have any outstanding qualities but he should be aiming to become a top player but he doesn't seem to have that fire in him, it looks like he's tired of playing football already.

IMO I think Oscar is pretty much finished developing as a player as I can't see anything where he can develop on massively. This is the season where he's meant to be kicking on but honestly over his time here I can't see any significant improvements he's made. Hazard on the other hand you can see has clearly been working hard to realise his dream. Oscar doesnt seem to have a true dream. Really starting to give up on this kid.

He has to take even bigger steps than Eden because Eden is a lot more talented than Oscar. Eden has to take big steps because he has the ambition of winning the Ballon D'or and he's getting there. Oscar on the other hand seems to be shying away and doesn't seem to be willing to step up to take the responsibility of becoming a great player. He'll never win the Ballon D'or because he doesn't really have any outstanding qualities but he should be aiming to become a top player but he doesn't seem to have that fire in him, it looks like he's tired of playing football already.

IMO I think Oscar is pretty much finished developing as a player as I can't see anything where he can develop on massively. This is the season where he's meant to be kicking on but honestly over his time here I can't see any significant improvements he's made. Hazard on the other hand you can see has clearly been working hard to realise his dream. Oscar doesnt seem to have a true dream. Really starting to give up on this kid.

I'm not as defeated as you about him. I still have hopes, but they keep decreasing as time passes.

We only see flashes with Oscar, it's time he develops that consistency that has been missing from him to become the player he has the potential to be.

As for taking bigger steps, I don't see it that way. Each player has a ceiling, qualities and limitations. Implying he has to take bigger steps may give the impression that if he works hard he can be as good - even if differently - which I think is impossible. Oscar could be a top player, but nowhere near Eden. They're two worlds apart - and therefore the steps each of them take should be separate things altogether.

I do agree though that he seems not to want more from his career. He seems accommodated.

That is totally unfair. He's talented and it isn't a question of him improving or anything, he just needs to be more consistent. He hasn't been awful this season, I think he's done well. He isn't as talented as Eden or as good a playmaker as Cesc or as good defensively as Willian, but he does a lot of things well. If he can just show up more often he would be a solid long term player for us.

Oscar's problem is that his talent ceiling is too low. A ten for a club with our ambition should be an outstanding play maker with great tactical awareness and work rate as necessary bolt-ons. He generally has the bolt-ons but there's nothing he can do about the low ceiling.