Oscar

themightyblue

If Mata wasn't the answer, and now the feel is that Oscar isn't too, who then in world football can fit Mourinho's vision of a Chelsea no. 10? He needs to be able to press high and constantly run, have pace, power, and aggression, and release the ball quickly and with incision...and must be equally adept at transitioning from attack to defence and vice versa...

He's died down more than a bit.... He's not even half the player he was before January.

I would put him next to Ramires in the below-par category in terms of recent performances

Despite of it, just maybe Jose overworked the poor chap? Mata was benched & Jose worked him, excessively.

I may be coming to the conclusion he isn't that much suited for English football.

I may be coming to the conclusion England is the antitheses for attacking Brazilian players. While I think it requires a lot of reality adaptation for midfielders and defenders, I think it may just not suit attacking players. It's the same old story. As Brazilians we're used to a lot of space, very big pitches and that pretty much formats the way you attack. It's like you're programmed for it. Oscar seems to be feeling more and more everything about England: bad weather on winter, lack of space, too much physicality. It may be too much about him.

I haven't come to the right conclusion yet, but I'm starting to think maybe he should have gone somewhere else and maybe English teams should stop trying to get Brazilians AMs. It seems a misfit.

Thats just wrong. He is idealy best possible #10 that Mourinho could have, but needs to fullfill his potential. I dont think he is only one who plays ''average'', the whole attack is average. Thats certainly something to do with Mourinho, because last year, our attack was more fluid. It has stagnated since Mou arrival. Defence got better, but attack, not so sure. I dont think its on Oscar to be guilty for his bad form, but also on Mourinho for 1.) not rotating him more 2.) giving him extremely big defensive duties.

I still think Oscar will improve, but definately even next year he wont be consistant. He will reach that level at age 25 or sth when he spends few full seasons in PL and completely understands his role. You have to undertand that first few months, Mou was just watching our players play and Oscar was brilliant. Then Mou (when he finaly knew his players better) started giving team very specific orders on how to play and Oscar's role got very limited.

I think Oscar, to some extent even Hazard and Willian will never realy fullfil their potential here as they might in RM, Barca, Bayern (who are all very offensive teams), but they still can become best as a team and world class individuals, should Mou give them at least a bit of freedom. As they say, once you are scoring goals for fun, defence isnt as important anymore. I remember few years ago, Bayern was in similar position, some big talents, but missing players on several areas, trying to play counter attacking football etc. Ribery needed to completely adapt to his new defensive duties and people were already moving him to big clubs in spain, england,,,,because they thought he wont realy fulfill his role in Bayern. Look what happened, few years of patience, some new players in the team and Ribery is world class winger. Oscar is different role obviously, but the point is same. Give him few years and he will definately become what everyone wants him to be; world class.

As there is a lot of talk about Mou selling Oscar/Hazard to fund striker, I think its just BS, but I realy hope we wont sell most important players; we already need 3 new starters to buy in 1st eleven, selling more players will completely reshape our 11 and we wont win nothing next year. Team needs to play together for some time, you forget that when Mou came to Chelsea (or inter) for first time, he had players in their peak, now he got half of team with bunch of young apples and oranges, required of being put in basket. When he makes complete team, when players will play together for some time, then judge whole project.

There is a great song that says what we need to do, wait:

If Mata wasn't the answer, and now the feel is that Oscar isn't too, who then in world football can fit Mourinho's vision of a Chelsea no. 10? He needs to be able to press high and constantly run, have pace, power, and aggression, and release the ball quickly and with incision...and must be equally adept at transitioning from attack to defence and vice versa...

I think Mou idealy would have 4:3:3

--RB---CB---CB---LB--

Vidal-Matic-Gundogan

--Willian-ST-Hazard--

But for the best of development, keep it as it is, to fit Mou style, you dont only need inteligence, but also energy/stamina that comes in few seasons. Oscar will come good, he showed it already, give him time.

--RB---CB---CB---LB--

Vidal-Matic-Gundogan

--Willian-ST-Hazard--

But for the best of development, keep it as it is, to fit Mou style, you dont only need inteligence, but also energy/stamina that comes in few seasons. Oscar will come good, he showed it already, give him time.

nTrMhYX.gif

--RB---CB---CB---LB--

Vidal-Matic-Gundogan

--Willian-ST-Hazard--

While your at it, we should replace hazard with cristiano and willian with bale and bring in cavani as well.

Thats just wrong. He is idealy best possible #10 that Mourinho could have, but needs to fullfill his potential. I dont think he is only one who plays ''average'', the whole attack is average. Thats certainly something to do with Mourinho, because last year, our attack was more fluid. It has stagnated since Mou arrival. Defence got better, but attack, not so sure. I dont think its on Oscar to be guilty for his bad form, but also on Mourinho for 1.) not rotating him more 2.) giving him extremely big defensive duties.

I still think Oscar will improve, but definately even next year he wont be consistant. He will reach that level at age 25 or sth when he spends few full seasons in PL and completely understands his role. You have to undertand that first few months, Mou was just watching our players play and Oscar was brilliant. Then Mou (when he finaly knew his players better) started giving team very specific orders on how to play and Oscar's role got very limited.

I think Oscar, to some extent even Hazard and Willian will never realy fullfil their potential here as they might in RM, Barca, Bayern (who are all very offensive teams), but they still can become best as a team and world class individuals, should Mou give them at least a bit of freedom. As they say, once you are scoring goals for fun, defence isnt as important anymore. I remember few years ago, Bayern was in similar position, some big talents, but missing players on several areas, trying to play counter attacking football etc. Ribery needed to completely adapt to his new defensive duties and people were already moving him to big clubs in spain, england,,,,because they thought he wont realy fulfill his role in Bayern. Look what happened, few years of patience, some new players in the team and Ribery is world class winger. Oscar is different role obviously, but the point is same. Give him few years and he will definately become what everyone wants him to be; world class.

As there is a lot of talk about Mou selling Oscar/Hazard to fund striker, I think its just BS, but I realy hope we wont sell most important players; we already need 3 new starters to buy in 1st eleven, selling more players will completely reshape our 11 and we wont win nothing next year. Team needs to play together for some time, you forget that when Mou came to Chelsea (or inter) for first time, he had players in their peak, now he got half of team with bunch of young apples and oranges, required of being put in basket. When he makes complete team, when players will play together for some time, then judge whole project.

There is a great song that says what we need to do, wait:

very good points. My only doubt is that I don't remember Brazilian attacking players succeeding that, so maybe the style is overwhelming to them. Maybe not. Brazilians aren't that much common in England to start with and the few there are more often than not defenders or pivot midfielders. Robinho was a flop (there and everywhere else), Anderson isn't an attacking player, nor is Lucas. Rafael is a defender, currently there are again tons of pivot players (in addition to those two, Sandro, Fernandinho, Paulinho, etc) we had a few defenders like Alex, Belletti :wub: but the only AM that comes to mind is Robinho and nothing should be said about him.

I don't maybe the style takes too much away from their qualities. You just can't compare Oscar playing for NT and for Chelsea and I don't believe at all he has motivation issues like some believe Luiz has. It seems just that the winter sucks the life of him and he ran out of gas. Maybe for match accumulation or maybe just because it's too much for him to handle. Willian doesn't look much better, despite being on his peak age already (although still transitioning).

As I said it was only a thought, maybe it's not only about those players succeeding in Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Germany more than in England, but about England really taking away from their quality because of the style. Brazilians aren't much physical in general, but even less so attacking players. They're light, work better with a lot of space and even is Oscar himself isn't the exact profile of a Brazilian attacking player, he suffers just the same.

I'm willing to wait, I'm more than willing to wait. Oscar is one of my fave players in the world and I love the boy too much. I've always been a fan of his since he was at Inter and even Sao Paulo (a team I hate). So I want him to succeed here a lot, but I also want him to fulfill his potential and live up the expectations, maybe English football will kill his career as I think it may be killing Mata's... I worry about Chelsea and I worry about Oscar. I have no doubt this kid has potential to be one of the very best players of his generation, but if he's not what we need, if he can't offer what we need from him because he can't overcome the difficulties playing in England presents to him... then what's the point of keeping him? But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion now. I'd wait more a year, if not two. I want it to work, but there's a possibility among many, of it not working for him or even other Brazilians. Brazilian footie is almost symmetrically the opposite of English football. Polar opposites.

But I'm not writing him off as many do. I'm not thinking he isn't talented as many do. I'm not losing my patience with him as many do. I'm just pondering about what could be a deeper problem. But like Hazard he's very young, even younger, it's nearly idiotic not to wait a little bit more.

nTrMhYX.gif

While your at it, we should replace hazard with cristiano and willian with bale and bring in cavani as well.

hah, I didnt mean we should get those or even think we have any realistic chance of getting them, but just point out what type of players Mou would idealy want in his team. With no real #10, but Gundogan type player instead...

And Eligius, read this again, if you missed it:

''But for the best of development, keep it as it is, to fit Mou style, you dont only need inteligence, but also energy/stamina that comes in few seasons. Oscar will come good, he showed it already, give him time.''

No need for sarcasm...

very good points. My only doubt is that I don't remember Brazilian attacking players succeeding that, so maybe the style is overwhelming to them. Maybe not. Brazilians aren't that much common in England to start with and the few there are more often than not defenders or pivot midfielders. Robinho was a flop (there and everywhere else), Anderson isn't an attacking player, nor is Lucas. Rafael is a defender, currently there are again tons of pivot players (in addition to those two, Sandro, Fernandinho, Paulinho, etc) we had a few defenders like Alex, Belletti :wub: but the only AM that comes to mind is Robinho and nothing should be said about him.

I don't maybe the style takes too much away from their qualities. You just can't compare Oscar playing for NT and for Chelsea and I don't believe at all he has motivation issues like some believe Luiz has. It seems just that the winter sucks the life of him and he ran out of gas. Maybe for match accumulation or maybe just because it's too much for him to handle. Willian doesn't look much better, despite being on his peak age already (although still transitioning).

As I said it was only a thought, maybe it's not only about those players succeeding in Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Germany more than in England, but about England really taking away from their quality because of the style. Brazilians aren't much physical in general, but even less so attacking players. They're light, work better with a lot of space and even is Oscar himself isn't the exact profile of a Brazilian attacking player, he suffers just the same.

I'm willing to wait, I'm more than willing to wait. Oscar is one of my fave players in the world and I love the boy too much. I've always been a fan of his since he was at Inter and even Sao Paulo (a team I hate). So I want him to succeed here a lot, but I also want him to fulfill his potential and live up the expectations, maybe English football will kill his career as I think it may be killing Mata's... I worry about Chelsea and I worry about Oscar. I have no doubt this kid has potential to be one of the very best players of his generation, but if he's not what we need, if he can't offer what we need from him because he can't overcome the difficulties playing in England presents to him... then what's the point of keeping him? But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion now. I'd wait more a year, if not two. I want it to work, but there's a possibility among many, of it not working for him or even other Brazilians. Brazilian footie is almost symmetrically the opposite of English football. Polar opposites.

But I'm not writing him off as many do. I'm not thinking he isn't talented as many do. I'm not losing my patience with him as many do. I'm just pondering about what could be a deeper problem. But like Hazard he's very young, even younger, it's nearly idiotic not to wait a little bit more.

Yup, only one thing to add; there is Coutinho who is doing pretty well this season IMO.

Yup, only one thing to add; there is Coutinho who is doing pretty well this season IMO.

It is paramount to see how players' perform in their second season. Most go downhill fast!

Has anyone else notice the silence from chelsea concerning Oscar. Jose doesn't talk about him for ex.

They know exactly what's going one with him - prob some physical issue- but will never let it out. This is difficult for fans but the club cannot let this type of info out.

Our opponents must always think Oscar is fit and potentially capable of producing one of those match winning performances regardless whether that's the case or not.

Has anyone else notice the silence from chelsea concerning Oscar. Jose doesn't talk about him for ex.

They know exactly what's going one with him - prob some physical issue- but will never let it out. This is difficult for fans but the club cannot let this type of info out.

Our opponents must always think Oscar is fit and potentially capable of producing one of those match winning performances regardless whether that's the case or not.

I know he isn't performing well but where do you get that suspicion from? imo yes he is tired but suggesting it is actually a long term problem is far fetched

Jose keeps emphasizing how physically Oscar needs to improve. He does not have the upper body strength and leg muscles of a Hazard and he has a very slender frame. It's no surprise why he sometimes struggles against the physical PL teams, but he is sensational in Europe.

No one can seriously doubt his talent. He is one of the best young talents in Europe. He needs to bulk up physically after the World Cup though. That's very important. Mata obviously had similar problems but it was less obvious with him, because he was able to create spaces for himself to operate in. Something Oscar is still learning to do.

Now today was for sure a brilliant game for Willian and Salah. Having said that, I have massive faith in Oscar. True he had a dip in form OFFENSIVELY, and that is ok. As I said in other threads, I expect Salah, Schurrle and Hazard to have dips too. They are all very young players and have great potential. I went him to bounce back ASAP. Those young players can create magic together and help to rest each other when needed. And the way they can be combined can just make our game unpredictable because every single one of them brings a different aspect to the game. We need you kid and I have faith you will answer the call.

It seems like since Mata left his form took a dip. Maybe he felt his position was secure. After today's performance Willian may just be the man through the middle!

I think it has more to do with the weather. He wasn't that well in January - except the Soton match.