Luke Shaw

Joker10

He is 17, he should be at least 22 to get regular spot here and that is 5! years from now!!!

He has brilliant team in Southampton to evolve and he is Chelsea fan. English as well. In few years, I would take him in a heart beat, but not yet. He is way too young and we still have Cole.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not sign him and loan him straight back to soton ala zaha.2 years at soton and after that cole would have most certainly left the club and bertrand and shaw can fight for the left back spot.The form of PVA will also be a factor though if he continues his good form he might comeback as well.I also feel we must play bertrand a lot more at Lb to see whether he can became a full time starter right now he is not getting enough playnig time in his favoured position.I still think after cole leaves the Lb spot of chelsea will be up for grabs and anyone out of PVA,bertrand and shaw(If we do sign him) can take it depending on who performs the best.I would also not rule out a big name signing like coentrao in the future.

Why not sign him and loan him straight back to soton ala zaha.2 years at soton and after that cole would have most certainly left the club and bertrand and shaw can fight for the left back spot.The form of PVA will also be a factor though if he continues his good form he might comeback as well.I also feel we must play bertrand a lot more at Lb to see whether he can became a full time starter right now he is not getting enough playnig time in his favoured position.I still think after cole leaves the Lb spot of chelsea will be up for grabs and anyone out of PVA,bertrand and shaw(If we do sign him) can take it depending on who performs the best.I would also not rule out a big name signing like coentrao in the future.

Because he would be marked as "chelsea player on loan" and these dont end well ;)

In two years he will be 19, he must stay away until 21 and then slowly get involved in our team (if he ever comes here)

Because he would be marked as "chelsea player on loan" and these dont end well ;)

In two years he will be 19, he must stay away until 21 and then slowly get involved in our team (if he ever comes here)

Which rulebook says that he has to stay away till 21?If he is performing well then irrespective of his age he should be given a chance to fight for his place.Its not like we have a 25 year old world class left back available to us right now that he will struggle for playing time.The amount of gametime bertrand is getting will hardly take his game to the next level and by the time cole leaves i can see shaw(if he comes) and bertrand/PVA fighting for the lb position with shaw imo beating the competition and making lb spot his own.

"Chelsea want Luke Shaw to succeed Ashley Cole as their first-choice left back after opening talks over a summer move.

Sportsmail can reveal the Blues had a £10million offer for the England Under 21 international rejected by Southampton in January."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284192/Chelsea-set-land-10m-Southampton-teenager-Luke-Shaw-replace-Ashley-Cole.html

So much for wanting to see a player from our own academy playing in the 1st team...

Could Bertrand be world-class? He's 23 years old, played in 200 league games and has 2 England caps and I'm still not sure.

Shaw on the other hand looks special at 17.

Could Bertrand be world-class? He's 23 years old, played in 200 league games and has 2 England caps and I'm still not sure.

Shaw on the other hand looks special at 17.

Both have potential and neither are finished article just yet. Bertrand might turn out to be the better one, who knows?

It just seems that people want Shaw mainly because he's a Chelsea fan and had a couple of decent performances against us.

Bertrand was patient and worked hard through the ranks to be where he is now. He deserves to have a right go playing at LB before being written off completely. Furthermore, he is still young and developing. All this change in managers recently wouldn't have helped either.

Both have potential and neither are finished article just yet. Bertrand might turn out to be the better one, who knows?

It just seems that people want Shaw mainly because he's a Chelsea fan and had a couple of decent performances against us.

Bertrand was patient and worked hard through the ranks to be where he is now. He deserves to have a right go playing at LB before being written off completely. Furthermore, he is still young and developing. All this change in managers recently wouldn't have helped either.

I'm not writing him off. I'm saying that after 200 appearances he's yet to convince me that he has the potential to be world-class. It's not a bad thing to present an honest opinion of a player and I see you don't actually offer an opinion.

Yes he's been patient and yes he's worked hard but that doesn't mean shit unfortunately. It's a tough world out there.

But be honest - who do you think has more potential right now and who do showed the more promise at age 17?

The fact he's a Chelsea fan is a bonus and he's had good performances in all the games I've seen him in, not just the ones against us.

I'm not writing him off. I'm saying that after 200 appearances he's yet to convince me that he has the potential to be world-class. It's not a bad thing to present an honest opinion of a player and I see you don't actually offer an opinion.

Yes he's been patient and yes he's worked hard but that doesn't mean shit unfortunately. It's a tough world out there.

Never said it was wrong for you to offer your opinion about Bertrand and Shaw. And me not offering not an opinion there? Deary me.

Clearly said that we should not jump the gun with Bertrand yet. Might end up being the better one. He's a solid young LB who is still developing. Nowhere near a finished article yet.

But be honest - who do you think has more potential right now and who do showed the more promise at age 17?

The fact he's a Chelsea fan is a bonus and he's had good performances in all the games I've seen him in, not just the ones against us.

Even if Shaw has showed more potential at 17, that doesn't mean anything. Lots of player have showed potential at a young age but failed to make it at the very top level. Not saying Shaw won't but it's one thing to have potential and another to have fulfill it completely.

Never said it was wrong for you to offer your opinion about Bertrand and Shaw. And me not offering not an opinion there? Deary me.

Clearly said that we should not jump the gun with Bertrand yet. Might end up being the better one. He's a solid young LB who is still developing. Nowhere near a finished article yet.

Even if Shaw has showed more potential at 17, that doesn't mean anything. Lots of player have showed potential at a young age but failed to make it at the very top level. Not saying Shaw won't but it's one thing to have potential and another to have fulfill it completely.

200 appearances. 2 England caps. When do you start to judge a player?

Shaw's a guy who has been thrown into a tough situation and held his own against players twice his age. Not just held his own, but been mightily impressive whilst doing it. What do we do? Wait until he's got a couple of England caps and his price has doubled?

Which player looked better at 17? Shaw or Bertrand?

(The answer is Shaw by the way)

Actually, different question. Which one is better right now?

200 appearances. 2 England caps. When do you start to judge a player?

Most of those appearances are in the lower leagues. Not sure how much one can really look into that.

And yes, he's only got 2 England caps so far but he's only starting to get into Hodgson's. He's only 23, not 27, 28, 29 FGS!

Shaw's a guy who has been thrown into a tough situation and held his own against players twice his age. Not just held his own, but been mightily impressive whilst doing it. What do we do? Wait until he's got a couple of England caps and his price has doubled?

Which player looked better at 17? Shaw or Bertrand?

(The answer is Shaw by the way)

Actually, different question. Which one is better right now?

Easy to ask that question now and say it's Shaw when he has been a given chance to play consistently at LB while Bertrand hasn't and at times even being played out of position!

Looking at this (short) debate, think it's clear that both of us have our own opinion on this matter. Probably best to just agree to disagree rather than going around the bushes.

Gareth Bale was a LB at Southampton once. It is obvious what to do....

Joking aside. I think with Ryan we have a very promising LB at our disposal who is a CL winner and probably just as experienced as Shaw, given that Bertrand together with Ashley shut down Ribery (partly Robben) and Lahm. So I think Shaw is not exactly an imidiate transfer. What would be good is to buy him and loan him back to Soton. He gets regular playtime there already, we don´t shit around with Ryan too much and would make sure that Shaw doesn´t get screwed by a hammered board-management-structure....It sounds too reasonable maybe.

Not many players have shown the potential Shaw has shown "at the top level" at age of 17. He's already a good player in the PL right now, not just another big-name prospect. I've been more impressed with Shaw than I've ever been with Bertrand and that's not to slight the latter.

By the way, Van Aanholdt is doing well at Vitesse right now so he might come into play

Not many players have shown the potential Shaw has shown "at the top level" at age of 17. He's already a good player in the PL right now, not just another big-name prospect. I've been more impressed with Shaw than I've ever been with Bertrand and that's not to slight the latter.

By the way, Van Aanholdt is doing well at Vitesse right now so he might come into play

The problem is that for a while now there have been plenty of fans happy to slate the club for overspending. When we actually look to acquire young players with promise then they object.

Fortunately the club seems to be following the new direction they took recruiting Lukaku, Courtois, De Bruyne etc. by targetting Shaw before his price skyrockets.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You