Spike

4 hours ago, Spike said:

This happened where I live and say what you want about other police violence cases but this one seems pretty cut and dried. Kicking a man cuffed on the ground is an outrageous abuse of power. It could have been racially motivated but with the cops around this country I'd wager they've probably done it to everyone; a lot of them are fucking dickheads. My bet is racially motivated.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-driver-demetrius-hollins-had-earlier-encounter-fired-cop-n746476

It's often quoted that cops are just another gang - there's a lot of evidence to back this up -the difference being they're the best organised and best armed

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

It's often quoted that cops are just another gang - there's a lot of evidence to back this up -the difference being they're the best organised and best armed

Still, there are people that are great coppers. They seem to be the minority or maybe it's just that a cop doing his job isn't newsworthy?

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Still, there are people that are great coppers. They seem to be the minority or maybe it's just that a cop doing his job isn't newsworthy?

I'd say the vast majority of cops are good people that just want to do their jobs properly. There's just so many cameras on them these days that it's easy to find the bad ones acting up, and we only hear about the bad ones because, like you said, good cops don't make for good stories. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

North Korea apparently fired a missile in the direction of US forces and it failed.

We have to bomb Pyongyang now.

From what I read, it was a middle capable of reaching US forces, but since it blew up almost immediately after launch, its hard to say if it was a test launch or something else.

Supposedly a fleet of US ships is on its way to the waters close to the Korean Peninsula, but Trump wants China to convince North Korea to slow its roll.

If anything ends up happening with North Korea, my guess is it'd start with an attack on South Korea, with the US intervening. What I don't get is any military offense from North Korea will turn practically every major national force against them, even China. Unless they plan on dropping bombs on everyone, they won't last long. 

10 hours ago, kmk108 said:

From what I read, it was a middle capable of reaching US forces, but since it blew up almost immediately after launch, its hard to say if it was a test launch or something else.

Supposedly a fleet of US ships is on its way to the waters close to the Korean Peninsula, but Trump wants China to convince North Korea to slow its roll.

If anything ends up happening with North Korea, my guess is it'd start with an attack on South Korea, with the US intervening. What I don't get is any military offense from North Korea will turn practically every major national force against them, even China. Unless they plan on dropping bombs on everyone, they won't last long. 

It would be a suicide mission on their part.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

Didn't expect that from you.

On a personal level I respect North Korea,  they have shown themselves strong against the mental colonization which plagues their brothers to the south, and even other  nations in their region such as Japan, or Thailand. This said though they cant continue to be allowed to hold the region back.

A moderate military leader, with the backing of China, should be  placed into power  to allow them to grow.

5 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

It would be a suicide mission on their part.

On a personal level I respect North Korea,  they have shown themselves strong against the mental colonization which plagues their brothers to the south, and even other  nations in their region such as Japan, or Thailand. This said though they cant continue to be allowed to hold the region back.

A moderate military leader, with the backing of China, should be  placed into power  to allow them to grow.

What if it was annexed by South Korea yet retained provincial autonomy? Surely that would be the most ideal?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

What if it was annexed by South Korea yet retained provincial autonomy? Surely that would be the most ideal?

I wouldnt trust South Korea with having any sort of power, even indirectly, of North Korea.Too much bad blood there.

I think for the best China should be making those calls until North Korea is able o make their own decisions.

Just now, Sir Mikel OBE said:

I wouldnt trust South Korea with having any sort of power, even indirectly, of North Korea.Too much bad blood there.

I think for the best China should be making those calls until North Korea is able o make their own decisions.

Really? The people are one in the same though. The only difference is that the North has been brainwashed and crippled. I thought a reunion of Korea would be embraced a la Germany.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Really? The people are one in the same though. The only difference is that the North has been brainwashed and crippled. I thought a reunion of Korea would be embraced a la Germany.

They aren't the same at this point.

There is nearly a century of anger and hatred which has festered to a point where I don't think anybody is comfortable with the south having a major say over them. Technically they've been at war for over half a century, and the identity of both cant be separated from the battle lines drawn.

South Korea, even today, lives with the horrible legacy. They are forced to tolerate foreign forces on their land to "Protect" them from North korea, the people are depressed with the highest rate of suicide on earth, and nobody respects them when they speak out about it If given a choice of having any say over a group of people who have placed them in this predicament then it is expected they will make them pay. It seems much better for a China, someone with an invested interest in a healthy North Korea, having the major say.

9 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

They aren't the same at this point.

There is nearly a century of anger and hatred which has festered to a point where I don't think anybody is comfortable with the south having a major say over them. Technically they've been at war for over half a century, and the identity of both cant be separated from the battle lines drawn.

South Korea, even today, lives with the horrible legacy. They are forced to tolerate foreign forces on their land to "Protect" them from North korea, the people are depressed with the highest rate of suicide on earth, and nobody respects them when they speak out about it If given a choice of having any say over a group of people who have placed them in this predicament then it is expected they will make them pay. It seems much better for a China, someone with an invested interest in a healthy North Korea, having the major say.

I thought the suicide was a reflection of Eastern shame culture? I though Korea, China, and Japan all had issues with suicide due to the strenuous social and familial demands placed on young people. I also thought that was another reason why videogames and to otaku culture was so prevalent as a means to escape reality through obsessive fiction?

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

I thought the suicide was a reflection of Eastern shame culture? I though Korea, China, and Japan all had issues with suicide due to the strenuous social and familial demands placed on young people. I also thought that was another reason why videogames and to otaku culture was so prevalent as a means to escape reality through obsessive fiction?

That wouldnt explain explicitly why South Korea was on the top though. Especially considering, as a nation, it has less overt buddhist/Confucius based teachings. In fact thanks to colonization they follow Christianity/western religion second only to Philippines in Asia, and these western regions are more focused on the "Have no gods other than me" thing which monotheistic religions always try to push. I think it has to do with the depression of having an occupied force around. It messes with your mind, especially if you are a man.

2 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

That wouldnt explain explicitly why South Korea was on the top though. Especially considering, as a nation, it has less overt buddhist/Confucius based teachings. In fact thanks to colonization they follow Christianity/western religion second only to Philippines in Asia, and these western regions are more focused on the "Have no gods other than me" thing which monotheistic religions always try to push. I think it has to do with the depression of having an occupied force around. It messes with your mind, especially if you are a man.

I didn't think occupation in SK was that apparent though? I thought it was limited to one base, just like how Japan has the Okinawa base (which from what I've been told is hugely different culturally than the mainlands of Japan). I know a few Americans with Korean heritage and they've told me the culture is very superficial and rotten from the inside. I can't speak from my lack of first hand experience but from the outside looking in it seems like SK has an obsession with beauty and social status.

I was reading some shocking stuff on reddit and other websites today. I was unaware that people felt so strongly white male/asian female couples. I had no idea there was such a hatred for me and my missus. Talk about angry racial puritans.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I didn't think occupation in SK was that apparent though? I thought it was limited to one base, just like how Japan has the Okinawa base (which from what I've been told is hugely different culturally than the mainlands of Japan). I know a few Americans with Korean heritage and they've told me the culture is very superficial and rotten from the inside. I can't speak from my lack of first hand experience but from the outside looking in it seems like SK has an obsession with beauty and social status.

Its very apparent from what I hear, and even stars have spoke out about it. I remember the Gangnam style guy actually made a song about it as a youth. Also Okinawans, for defending their home have to deal with the constant state of occupation for their troubles. I remain clear if it was little Keiko from Tokyo having to deal with Drunken Americans harassing her on her way home from work the way a Naru from Naha then there wouldnt be a single US Sailor in Japan today. The average person doesnt worry about their daughter being harassed, so it remains a non-issue in their eyes. Its not like Okinawans deserve respect to them. Koreans aren't able to separate as such though. Their capital, being so close to the border, means soldiers are embedded right where the average Korean is. They have to live with it.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I was reading some shocking stuff on reddit and other websites today. I was unaware that people felt so strongly white male/asian female couples. I had no idea there was such a hatred for me and my missus. Talk about angry racial puritans.

That subreddit is huge now. I remember when it was a speck compared to asianmasculinity or Aznidentity, but now it has surpassed them both. Those guys have it hard. Couldnt imagine having an Asian girl tell me she doesnt date Asian guys, and being half white and seeing the dynamic at home.  Some real pain on display in that sub.