Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

Luiz is a sad reflection of the sorry state of defending and sharp drop in supply of genuine world class natural defenders today. Hence why comical defending even at the highest level occur with alarming regularity like never before.

Baresi and maldini, for e.g, were far more technically gifted than Luiz will ever be yet all the plaudits they received came off the merit of their ability to actually defending bloody well rather than their ability to pick out a team mate, Jesus wept.

I'm too old school for this ....

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luiz is a sad reflection of the sorry state of defending and sharp drop in supply of genuine world class natural defenders today. Hence why comical defending even at the highest level occur with alarming regularity like never before.

Baresi and maldini, for e.g, were far more technically gifted than Luiz will ever be yet all the plaudits they received came off the merit of their ability to actually defending bloody well rather than their ability to pick out a team mate, Jesus wept.

Luiz till has time to wise up and his attitude where he likes to act the fool and has a laugh needs to change ,when Frank LeBouef frist came to England he had similar faults to Luiz I remember Wimbledon giving him a lesson,but he did listen and learn and became a proper ball playing centre half with the emphasis being on centre half.

Maldini and Baresi were never technically gifted lol. Just stop please.

Did well him JT and Cech the only players to emerge with credit under that onslaught . They had no protection whatsoever .

We complain that we are constantly under pressure, but playing a deep and very slow defense line has nothing to do with that... :rolleyes:

Perhaps they could/should have helped keep the football a bit longer?

Did well him JT and Cech the only players to emerge with credit under that onslaught . They had no protection whatsoever .

Did well? Have you seen his distribution? Where the fuck was he for the goal? He's a fucking hunk of shit of a defender, the sooner he's gone the better. His twin at Spurs, Dawson, are two fucking midtable fodders, who have nothing going for them as footballers, the problem is one of them plays for us.

We complain we are constantly under pressure, but playing a deep and very slow defense line has nothing to do with that... :rolleyes:

I blame the pivot for that we defended well under immense pressure and they got no protection from our sitter it was a night for him to star and he was nowhere.

We complain that we are constantly under pressure, but playing a deep and very slow defense line has nothing to do with that... :rolleyes:

very true. lamps and rambo were giving the ball away every time they touched it. etoo could not hold the ball upfront if his life depended on it. mikel was playing literally as a 3rd CB, oscar was not in the game at all but our CBs should try and play out of our own box. brilliant!!!!

I blame the pivot for that we defended well under immense pressure and they got no protection from our sitter it was a night for him to star and he was nowhere.

Sure, but if we go by arithmetic alone, we can't possible win the midfield battle with either the 3 we played today or the 2 we play when using the 4-2-3-1... so the additional midfielders must come from somewhere during a match... it's all dynamic. When David plays he has the quality to join in the midfield and add that additional player there. Same with Oscar who has the work rate to perform the defensive tasks.

The game is not that static that you can blame a particular area or section for say lack of possession. Keeping the ball, is the responsibility of all players, including the defenders. Look at WHU how poorly their defenders kept (or didn't) the football and how Oscar and others would win it back over and over again... that's quality, or lack thereof, right there. That's why I called WHU shitty and think they are indeed a terrible side with too many technically inapt players.

Back to our defensive pairing... they are fine if you want to play a deep defense line, which makes it difficult to play any way other than counter-attacking football. Same goes for England with their current selections.

didier... also, I'd not blame Lampard that much either. You can only pass the football when you have someone to pass to. It's up to the opponent to not give you the option; which Basel were able to do and WHU were not able to do before.

Didnt their goal come from our defender being caught too far up the pitch and a long ball in behind him to run on to ?

Strange that you think we were to deep and with Mikel sitting very deep it pushes the whole back four deeper.

no, not that strange at all... :)

Ah so did the goal come because we were to deep or to high up the pitch ?

You have to make up your mind at some point: do you want to play football, have possession, attack, or just NOT concede goals.

I know what I want, and playing two stoic defenders is certainly not part of it. See I'm not even talking about quality, technique, but rather characteristics.

Iva is not the fastest guy either, so between the 2 CBs and Iva, I'd certainly keep them very deep... but I'm not talking about the goal. Scoring or conceding is a consequence of your play, or so I've learned.

You want Luiz and he has a lot to learn ,but he will and could be great for us ,at the moment he has not earned his place and he was injured tonight,I dont know how ?

Luiz certainly has the quality I've mentioned, but I don't want necessarily Luiz, but a guy like Luiz. Ferdinand was like that back then when he got legs. Phil Jones is like that now, like him very much. There are many ball playing defenders out there. Technically speaking David is probably the very best one, but then he does lack some concentration, and like you say is a work in progress.

I just dislike, and always have, pairing CBs with the same characteristics; it's redundant.