Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

---

http://america.aljazeera.com/blogs/worldcup/2014/6/21/more-defenders-havemeantmoregoalsandotherworldcupconundrums.html

Good read even if you don't agree with most if not all of it. It really goes into Total Football, even if unintentionally.

Again, I don't believe that there is only one way of wining in football - I've actually seen completely different styles do it.

And once again, I'm going to recomment the book soccernomics (Simon Kuper et al.), which is must read for fans of the game.

Actually I think that's a massively simplistic, patronising piece of writing. Basically we like Cahill because he looks English and we don't like Luiz because he's a proper footballing centre-half.

It completely ignores that this is the country that celebrates the likes of Bobby Moore and Duncan Edwards, players who pretty much invented the footballing centre-half. Hell, even Rio could strike a ball pretty well. The reason Luiz isn't rated by many supporters is that his own lack of awareness/concentration issues/immaturity/idiocy lead to mistakes. All players make mistakes but there's honest mistakes and there's mistakes through lack of effort. Switching off at key moments is something most football supporters won't forget, but there is still a huge market for whom 'personality' (a catch all term that means fuck all in the 'reality' era) trumps that.

David Luiz is a footballer for the Miley Cyrus generation. He's instantly recognisable, 'fun' and capable of moments of brilliance. That's worth £50 million easily in marketing revenue for a club like PSG.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did u even care to read what I wrote? Did u even inderstand the analogy I tried to put forth!!! What a waste of time...

The analogy of how similar their transfer careers are? Should I bother explaining again cos don't think someone who can't see luiz's shortcomings would be able to comprehend that. :rolleyes:

Chronologically your post makes no sense whatsoever.

Because of your claim that he's been a flop for us.

Chronologically your post makes no sense whatsoever.

Dude... common sense!!! I mean what is wrong with your common sense??!!! Seriously dude... let me spell it out for u!!!

Torres came to pool at the age of 23 for a fee of 20mil £.

Luiz came to chelsea at the age of 24 for a fee of 25mil £.

Torres came to chelsea at the age of 27 for a fee of 50mil £.

Luiz is going to psg at the age of 27 for a fee of 48mil £.

GET THE ANALOGY!!!!

Get how the transfer fee means jack squat!!!!

Dude... common sense!!! I mean what is wrong with your common sense??!!! Seriously dude... let me spell it out for u!!!

Torres came to pool at the age of 23 for a fee of 20mil £.

Luiz came to chelsea at the age of 24 for a fee of 25mil £.

Torres came to chelsea at the age of 27 for a fee of 50mil £.

Luiz is going to psg at the age of 27 for a fee of 48mil £.

GET THE ANALOGY!!!!

Get how the transfer fee means jack squat!!!!

Let's try it again, even with the matching numbers so the chronology is perfect!

DO you see the problem with #2 ?! We don't have David Luiz #4 and #5 just yet, but your #2's cannot be right!

Torres:

1. Liverpool signs Torres for 20m

2. Torres was great for Liverpool for many seasons

3. We buy Torres for 50m

4. He's been awful for us (according to many)

5. We cannot sell Torres for 10m unless we pay his wages

Torres LOST (a lot of) value at Chelsea!

1. We buy David Luiz for 21m + Matic (say 25m)

2. According to you he was awful

3. We sell David Luiz for 50m making him the most expensive defender ever.

David Luiz INCREASED (really doubled!) his value at Chelsea!

Let's try it again, even with the matching numbers so the chronology is perfect!

DO you see the problem with #2 ?! We don't have David Luiz #4 and #5 just yet, but your #2's cannot be right!

Torres:

1. Liverpool signs Torres for 20m

2. Torres was great for Liverpool for many seasons

3. We buy Torres for 50m

4. He's been awful for us (according to many)

5. We cannot sell Torres for 10m unless we pay his wages

Torres LOST (a lot of) value at Chelsea!

1. We buy David Luiz for 21m + Matic (say 25m)

2. According to you he was awful

3. We sell David Luiz for 50m making him the most expensive defender ever.

David Luiz INCREASED (really doubled!) his value at Chelsea!

:lol:

AGAIN!!!!!

U do understand that even torres INCREASED his value for pool. His "greats" seasons were twice but his decline itself had come in pool. Torres at his best may have been worth that ridiculous amount. Luiz at this moment which is supposedly the highest point of his career is not worth more than 20mil.

Luiz was not AWFUL for us. No where have I said that. But 50mil for him is absolute LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

Chelsea set to reward England international Gary Cahill with new four year deal (£120,000 a week)

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/488858/Chelsea-set-to-reward-England-international-Gary-Cahill-with-new-four-year-deal

I find that VERY unlikely. He's 29 in December. A 4-year deal will keep him till he's 33! Not exactly in compliance with our policy for players over 30.

Chelsea set to reward England international Gary Cahill with new four year deal (£120,000 a week)

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/488858/Chelsea-set-to-reward-England-international-Gary-Cahill-with-new-four-year-deal

The media must be running out of story to write about. That one has been reported a number of times now over the past couple of months.

I find that VERY unlikely. He's 29 in December. A 4-year deal will keep him till he's 33! Not exactly in compliance with our policy for players over 30.

It's practically only a one year contract extension from his current one. Not sure it makes much of a difference whether he's 32 or 33 then, it's only one year. Besides, he could be a useful squad player to have next time as well as to fill up the HG quota.

Didn't we do that with Lampard?

The media must be running out of story to write about. That one has been reported a number of times now over the past couple of months.

It's practically only a one year contract extension from his current one. Not sure it makes much of a difference whether he's 32 or 33 then, it's only one year. Besides, he could be a useful squad player to have next time as well as to fill up the HG quota.

I find it is still reasonable to offer him more than one year extension. Yes maybe not 4, but 3 is still make sense. He is English and still 28 years old. Not that he is already 33 or something.

Then that makes even less sense. Can't see it happening, especially with the quoted wages.

Didn't we do that with Lampard?

That was before the new policy about players over 30.

He is is probably the only World class defender(english) in engand at the moment. Not that he would get into any team, but he is immense in his last minute tackling, headers and in general, i cant remember him making a mistake for a goal.

Humble too.

Then that makes even less sense. Can't see it happening, especially with the quoted wages.

That was before the new policy about players over 30.

I don't think the club is gonna strictly follow this policy of not offering contract players aged 30+. More of judging on case to case basis. Not advocating this Cahill deal to happen but I can see it happen, just probably not for the wages mentioned.

I don't think the club is gonna strictly follow this policy of not offering contract players aged 30+. More of judging on case to case basis. Not advocating this Cahill deal to happen but I can see it happen, just probably not for the wages mentioned.

I hope they are strict with it. It's incentive to make those players continue to play and train at their very best. yes, the drawback is other clubs offer longer contracts but that's a risk worth taking imo.

I hope they are strict with it. It's incentive to make those players continue to play and train at their very best. yes, the drawback is other clubs offer longer contracts but that's a risk worth taking imo.

Strict with it is one thing but what I meant was the manager/club will judge on player to player basis. If they think he can still contribute to the team, then they'll get the contract extension. It's like how Terry, Lampard and Cole got theirs in the past 2 years or so.

Strict with it is one thing but what I meant was the manager/club will judge on player to player basis. If they think he can still contribute to the team, then they'll get the contract extension. It's like how Terry, Lampard and Cole got theirs in the past 2 years or so.

Sorry I just reread your post. the policy is offering 1 year extensions isn't it? not going against offering one..