Didier Drogba: what could have been

Tomo

Despite being a unquestionable Chelsea legend i still can't help but feel what could have been if he had more (or all) season's like 06/07 and 09/10 or even all season in the latter.

06/07 he scored 33 goals and not 1 of them was a penalty, the 1st player to win the golden boot without taking 1 incidently (although Anelka has matched that feat since) and in 09/10 37 goals, only 1 of them penalty's and missed a month due to the ACON, that is the season if he had all season and took pens he would have IMO could easily have hit 60, the sky would have really been the limit for him, on form he is UN-STOPPABLE.

If all his Chelsea season's were like those 2 then i reckon he would have surpassed 300 goals by now and also would have surpassed Henry and be considered a superior player to him, its a shame he seems to be so hit and miss because on top form i honestly believe only Messi is better. Yes players like Ronaldo might be on top form more often but im talking about top top form because if Drogba had all season and took pens last time, Ronaldo's 42 goal record would have smashed with ease (Ronaldo had all season and took pens aswell).

Shame he has been so hit and miss during his time because the guy has so much talent its fucking insane.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season is a prime example of why you can't rely on him. For me, 33 years of age, Big ego, past his prime, has to go for me.

Couldn't agree more. His agent has said though that we won't be parting ways this summer which isn't entirely a bad thing as long as he he realises that he is past his prime and unless he hits top form more often and quits finding excuses then it's time to go. He has done a lot for Chelsea and we as fans will forever be grateful for that, but scoring 10 goals a season and earning that much, demanding a starting position is too much, especially after we bought Torres who in the long term will logically be our top striker.

Just stating numbers alone isn't enough. What about all those assists and crucial parts he plays in the build up to many other goals. And what some of you are forgetting is that some seasons Drogba has had some injury problems.

Just the league alone;

10/11 season = 12 goals 13 assists (28 starts so far)

09/10 = 29 goals 13 assists (31 starts)

08/09 = 5 goals 4 assists (15 starts)

07/08 = 8 goals 6 assists (17 starts)

06/07 = 20 goals 4 assists (32 starts)

05/06 = 12 goals 6 assists (20 starts)

04/05 = 10 goals 5 assists (18 starts)

I say that's a very impressive record considering goals to games ratio and the countless assists.

Some fans, for whatever reason, will never really appreciate Drogba and I find that incredibly sad. I think they have been brainwashed by the media to hate one of their own players.

Still our best striker by a country mile and I hope he stays for many years to come.

Didier :worship:

Just stating numbers alone isn't enough. What about all those assists and crucial parts he plays in the build up to many other goals. And what some of you are forgetting is that some seasons Drogba has had some injury problems.

Just the league alone;

I say that's a very impressive record considering goals to games ratio and the countless assists.

Some fans, for whatever reason, will never really appreciate Drogba and I find that incredibly sad. I think they have been brainwashed by the media to hate one of their own players.

Still our best striker by a country mile and I hope he stays for many years to come.

Superb post. Looking at his statistics is not a fair analysis by itself, I absolutely agree. When you consider:

• It takes a couple of seasons to truly adapt to Premier League football - that can't help him at all in terms of netting goals.
  • He's suffered injuries throughout his time here - the malaria incident the most famous example
  • He's fallen out of favour, and during the 08/09 season, a fair few of his appearances were from the bench, which prevents him from reaching the 25+ mark
  • His style of play is quite selfless for a striker - ie. he doesn't take penalties and contributes a lot in terms of his play through assists, etc.

And yet, he still averages 20 goals a season. Great player!!

In the last few weeks, since he got completely over the malaria, he's been the best striker in the league (except Rooney maybe who has unfortunately found some great form, mr potato head cunt). I'd love to see him play with Torres and Sturridge next season in pretty much every game and see what happens. He's still fantastic on form.

Defo the best striker i've seen play for us, even better than JFH (Sorry Jimmy, love u wub.gif)

He's destructive, gives defenders nightmares and just his presence makes him score sometimes. I just wish he would turn up in every game with the right attitude.

Just the league alone;

Me too mate, he can score 200 goals a season and will still be criticized in some way by his own fans. emo3.gif

On form, Didier simply cannot be matched, he's a game changer for any side.

Just the league alone;

You just proved how you can't rely on him. 07/08, 8 goals, 08/09, 5 goals. Fair enough he wasn't playing as much in those days but he is 33, at most he has 2 season's left in him and thats streching it. Giving Sturridge Drogba's playing time would be far far more beneficial to the team.

He is the best striker in our history.

Behave.

I don't think you'll find one Chelsea fan who will deny you what Drogba means to this club. A legend in the proper sense of the term.

But that doesn't mean he should be here till 36. Same goes for Lamps, Terry, Essien et al. Times change and you've got to move with them, unless you want to be stuck in limbo forever.

Torres and Sturridge are our future, Josh is our future, Kakuta is our future.

One look at Milan reveals the perils of keeping around players who are reaching the end of their careers.

I don't think you'll find one Chelsea fan who will deny you what Drogba means to this club. A legend in the proper sense of the term.

But that doesn't mean he should be here till 36. Same goes for Lamps, Terry, Essien et al. Times change and you've got to move with them, unless you want to be stuck in limbo forever.

Torres and Sturridge are our future, Josh is our future, Kakuta is our future.

One look at Milan reveals the perils of keeping around players who are reaching the end of their careers.

This.

For me is has undoubtedly been the best lone striker on the planet for close to 6 years, nobody leads a line better than Didier Drogba. He can be a bit tempermental at times and not always as consistent as we would like but he has been Chelsea's main man for a long time and our truly great attacking player. This season for him was disrupted so much by the bout of malaria and the fact that he had to keep playing despite the fact that he was still recovering, lately we have seen him back to his absolute best, his strenght seems to have returned, a bit of his speed has returned and his confidence is sky high, he's a phenomenom.

Im not sure if we should keep him going into next season. If Torres has a bad game next season then instantly the question will be asked "should we play Drogba instead" Torres has to be the main man at this club and the large, looming shadow of Drogba really doesn't help that transition to take place.

I just want him to have the dream ending and bow out at the Alianz Arena as a Champions League winner 2012. He deserves a fitting end. 1 more year. He's still good enough for 1 more year.