Shevchenko backs Torres

Wilson

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, the difference between Sheva and Torres is simple. Whereas Sheva was older and was a brilliant striker in Italy and recognised as one of the best, we took the risk of him being able to adapt to the English game with the price we paid. Unfortunately, Sheva wasn't able to adapt, and the game time he did get was a substational minus to what he was needing due to the competition for the striker's role and the in-form Drogba at the time. Now, Torres has been in the English league four a couple of years and has a terrific goal scoring record with Liverpool, one plus against Shevchenko, another is that he is younger then when Shevchenko came to SB, another one plus. Also, Torres was brought in half way through the season, meaning that he didn't ahve the essentail pre-season games to mold into our playing style before a competitive game - instead he was against his former club.

I soley believe he will score a couple of goals between now and the end of the season, maybe some crucial ones that could get us in the CL final or a contender for PL, and then next season he will be like a new signing, scoring goals for fun, like the Torres before this season.

Shevchenko still scored 22 goals in 61 starts. I don't think that's at all bad to be honest, the only reason people are critical of that goalscoring form is his cost. If we'd have signed the player for £10 million then I think we'd say that's not a bad return at all - hence the reason price doesn't matter to me anymore. The world of football is fucked up and nowadays, spending £80 million on a player is the same to me as spending £8 on a pint of beer at Wembley.

Kind of obvious though isn't it, that advice.

Torres will come good. I can't say when, only he'll know - when he feels comfortable. People forget the drastic change he's actually made, turning his back on fans who loved him & made him an icon, can't be easy. He knows he's forever in the spotlight now, not even talking about the fee, talking about psychologically his own need to prove his move was right.

Hopefully this summer, he'll gel with the team-mates properly. He'll take part in pre-season and then start to feel like a Chelsea player.

Shevchenko still scored 22 goals in 61 starts. I don't think that's at all bad to be honest, the only reason people are critical of that goalscoring form is his cost. If we'd have signed the player for £10 million then I think we'd say that's not a bad return at all - hence the reason price doesn't matter to me anymore. The world of football is fucked up and nowadays, spending £80 million on a player is the same to me as spending £8 on a pint of beer at Wembley.

Cost is always an issue, you're right, and it amazes me how tabloids and newspapers make such a big deal out of it. Because he costs £50 million, knowing that's so much money to lose on one player, you're going to get a hell of a lot of abuse from media if he doesn't deliver. Sheva is absolutely right in what he says about relaxing, and goals coming naturally, because when you are pressured to deliver at a club that plays in a different way to your previous club, you won't perform so well.

As someone on the forum said before, Torres's real Chelsea career starts in September.

Have a Man Utd friend and he said the same. That's a Manc fan...he hates, hates Liverpool of course but has always loved Torres and was deluded enough to think there was a chance Nando would go to OT. Was he pissed off this transfer season :541:

He's also said Torres at his peak was better than Ronaldo...yes, a Manc...even as a Torres fan, I don't agree with him but god I hope to be wrong!