Wayne Rooney

J.F.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavani > Rooney. Everyone can see that.

It's best not to present subjective opinions as facts, especially when you're comparing footballers. Right now Cavani is probably the form player, but Rooney has spent 9 seasons as one of the most important players at one of the biggest clubs in world football. Whilst Cavani was helping Palermo reach 5th place in Serie A, Rooney was the best player in English football.

Form is temporary, class is permanent as they say.

I'm sure Torres agrees

:rolleyes:

Torres lost his most dangerous weapon - his pace. Rooney never really had it. He is one of the most instinctive players this country has developed in the last 20 years and is simply lacking motivation in my opinion.

I'd rather go for him at £30 million than Cavani at roughly twice the price. He'd even sell more t-shirts in all likelihood.

Cavani > Rooney. Everyone can see that.

Absolutely, but:

• Rooney is more versatile - can play anywhere in the frontline and even in midfield if the situation dictates it.
  • He's English; thus home-grown.
  • Far, far cheaper.
  • EPL-proven. Not so much a big factor when you're talking about someone as good as Cavani, but it can make a different in the short- to mid-term whilst Cavani is settling in.
  • Rooney coming here wouldn't jeopardise Lukaku's place here. Rooney and Lukaku are so ridiculously different as forwards that they could either be rotated, or used in tandem. If Cavani comes here for £50 million +, or whatever the quoted price is, that sort of investment has to be prioritised. That could seriously hamper Lukaku's Chelsea prospects, but also his development.

Rooney is the safer option, and would be my preferred signing. You don't just sign the 11 best players, you buy players who compliment the existing squad, and in my view, Rooney would fit our counter-attacking style like a hand in a glove. Unfortunately I just can't see United selling him to us. Shame.

Right, a little bit of info here for you all. I text Stewart Downing this morning and asked if he knew anything about Rooney to us and he told me that United have been contacted by Chelsea and that he spoke with Rooney and that he knows we have inquired and has told United he wants the move.

Absolutely, but:

• Rooney is more versatile - can play anywhere in the frontline and even in midfield if the situation dictates it.
  • He's English; thus home-grown.
  • Far, far cheaper.
  • EPL-proven. Not so much a big factor when you're talking about someone as good as Cavani, but it can make a different in the short- to mid-term whilst Cavani is settling in.
  • Rooney coming here wouldn't jeopardise Lukaku's place here. Rooney and Lukaku are so ridiculously different as forwards that they could either be rotated, or used in tandem. If Cavani comes here for £50 million +, or whatever the quoted price is, that sort of investment has to be prioritised. That could seriously hamper Lukaku's Chelsea prospects, but also his development.
Rooney is the safer option, and would be my preferred signing. You don't just sign the 11 best players, you buy players who compliment the existing squad, and in my view, Rooney would fit our counter-attacking style like a hand in a glove. Unfortunately I just can't see United selling him to us. Shame.

Completely agree with all if this.

But I actually do think that if Rooney actually went to Moyes and told him that it's time for him to move on to a new challenge and that he wants a change in scenery that he'd be allowed to go. Not ideal for them to sell to a direct rival, but like the RvP signing, they'll get a nice chunk of change and be rid of an unhappy player.

I'd happily have us spend £30m on him. He could be a title deciding transfer for us.

I'd rather buy Rooney who's proven for years that he can get it done in the premier league than spend double on Cavani.

Remember when we signed PL proven Torres over Aguero? :rolleyes:

Signing Rooney is taking on board a lot of ifs and buts though. Sure, if he can find new desire here and be rejuvenated then he will bang them in, possibly like never before and fire us to the title but the other situation is that he has peaked early like so many players and is on the decline. It's not like Rooney is risk free either. Cavani has far less risks because he's at the top of his game.

Remember when we signed PL proven Torres over Aguero? :rolleyes:

Torres' play was on the way down before he moved here.

Rooney had his "worst" season in years and that was while being played out of position and playing second fiddle to RvP. Yet he still put up stats similar to our best player.

I'd welcome Rooney and I wouldn't compare it to Torres case. Besides, they are different types of players. Rooney is not a 'striker only' tipe, he is second striker, attacking midfielder, box to box player... call it whatever you want it. With him in squad, Chelsea could play something like this

_______________Torres_____________

Hazard_________Rooney__________Mata

... and it looks pretty good to me. Besides, I can't remember him ranting against Chelsea (am I wrong?) and it is fact we wanted him many years ago, but our board was sceptical about his personality. Obviuosly we made a bad call back then, he did help a lot ManU win trophies.

Sure he sometimes loses his temper on the pitch, but he's not that problematic like media likes to tag him. I'd really welcome his signature

why would people want someone who doesn't care at all about the club! He wants to work with Mourinho that would be his only desire to play for Chelsea just so he can work with the special one! i for one would never support someone like Rooney who doesn't have and will never have even an ounce of love for our club! It would really be sickening to see someone like Rooney wearing a Chelsea shirt!

At least Torres came here because he had ambitions to win trophies at club level and saw Chelsea had much more ambition to do that than Liverpool! Rooney on the other hand wants to come here because he wants to work with our manager and cant take not being the main man! and probably thinks he can be the main man at Chelsea! well he will be in for a big shock when he realises he will never be the main man at Chelsea! and will always play second fiddle to Mata and Hazard! and once KdB, Oscar and Lukaku develop further then Rooney will most likely hand in a transfer request with us as well!

I am just glad that this transfer most likely wont happen anyway! it would really be a horrible buy!

They say a lot of crap...

Ancelotti targets £30m Rooney to lead Real revolution after agreeing deal to leave PSG

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2346245/Real-Madrid-want-Wayne-Rooney-Carlo-Ancelotti-new-manager.html#ixzz2WvzT2XQb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'd welcome Rooney and I wouldn't compare it to Torres case. Besides, they are different types of players. Rooney is not a 'striker only' tipe, he is second striker, attacking midfielder, box to box player... call it whatever you want it. With him in squad, Chelsea could play something like this

_______________Torres_____________

Hazard_________Rooney__________Mata

... and it looks pretty good to me. Besides, I can't remember him ranting against Chelsea (am I wrong?) and it is fact we wanted him many years ago, but our board was sceptical about his personality. Obviuosly we made a bad call back then, he did help a lot ManU win trophies.

Sure he sometimes loses his temper on the pitch, but he's not that problematic like media likes to tag him. I'd really welcome his signature

If we buy rooney it would be to push torres out, not to play both of them. If we buy him, it would be to play at striker mainly and definitely not in behind torres.

why would people want someone who doesn't care at all about the club! He wants to work with Mourinho that would be his only desire to play for Chelsea just so he can work with the special one! i for one would never support someone like Rooney who doesn't have and will never have even an ounce of love for our club! It would really be sickening to see someone like Rooney wearing a Chelsea shirt!

At least Torres came here because he had ambitions to win trophies at club level and saw Chelsea had much more ambition to do that than Liverpool! Rooney on the other hand wants to come here because he wants to work with our manager and cant take not being the main man! and probably thinks he can be the main man at Chelsea! well he will be in for a big shock when he realises he will never be the main man at Chelsea! and will always play second fiddle to Mata and Hazard! and once KdB, Oscar and Lukaku develop further then Rooney will most likely hand in a transfer request with us as well!

I am just glad that this transfer most likely wont happen anyway! it would really be a horrible buy!

How many players actually love about the club.

They seem to be a dying breed. Rooney playing his best would line up with Chelsea's interests, whether or not he loves the club.

He can aspire to be the main man if he wants if that gets him to play better.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You