LDN Blue

On hindsight, that England v Iceland game is just stupid and pointless at this point, especially after all that fuss about asking the UK government to let Iceland into the country. Had Iceland not been allowed in, England would have had to forfeit the game. Instead, both teams now have a complete dead rubber to play. :doh: 

1 hour ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

This England game has been painful to watch.

I think the world cup 2018 run will always give some sort of barometer of what they believe Southgate can do regularly.

Without being overly dismissive on that campaign for England - because one as a Scot I cant say fuck all about world cup or euro campaigns as we've only just qualified for one after 22 years and two getting to the semis in a WC is still decent enough considering the expectations were very very low compared to how it would be with the so called golden generation in tournaments past - when they played the good teams (Belgium x2 and Croatia), they got beat and were a class below clearly.

This England squad has huge potential undoubtedly but I think they wont come closer to winning anything with Gareth Southgate because in the bigger games they are outdone tactically, sometimes due to teams being better but a lot of the time due to his short comings as being a decent manager but not a top one. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I think the world cup 2018 run will always give some sort of barometer of what they believe Southgate can do regularly.

Without being overly dismissive on that campaign for England - because one as a Scot I cant say fuck all about world cup or euro campaigns as we've only just qualified for one after 22 years and two getting to the semis in a WC is still decent enough considering the expectations were very very low compared to how it would be with the so called golden generation in tournaments past - when they played the good teams (Belgium x2 and Croatia), they got beat and were a class below clearly.

This England squad has huge potential undoubtedly but I think they wont come closer to winning anything with Gareth Southgate because in the bigger games they are outdone tactically, sometimes due to teams being better but a lot of the time due to his short comings as being a decent manager but not a top one. 

hmm 2018 run a bit of luck (good side of the bracket plus a Kane dive here and there), which I guess counts as overachievement IMO. The team is just not elite level esp in midfield and def. Sterling is the only WC player in the squad (Kane is good, but not elite IMO a bit too slow these days).

This was blatantly clear against Belgium: England tries to move the ball around and play progressively, but they do it so much slower than belgium.

9 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I personally don't think tactic is super important in international football. In international football especially when it get to knock out stage it is all about trying not to concede. If you have good defense you alway have a chance, and then it is all about making as little mistake as possible and hopefully you are lucky.