No plans to move stadiums

LDN Blue

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck says the club still have no plans to leave Stamford Bridge.

The Blues are dominating English football on the field after winning both the Premier League and FA Cup trophies last season and Carlo Ancelotti's side are sitting pretty at top this term after seven games.

But the West Londoners lie eighth in the table when it comes to attendance averages and a move away from the Bridge has long been mentioned to help them compete with the type of revenues Manchester United and Arsenal command from their gate receipts.

And while Buck admits Chelsea will never rule out leaving their 105-year home, the Blues chairman insists the capital outfit are making up for a smaller capacity venue by focusing on revenue from commercial activity, sponsorship and new media.

He told Sky Sports News."There is a lot of history and tradition here at Stamford Bridge.

"The club has been here since 1905 and so it's very, very difficult for us to make the philosophical decision that we are going to move on.

"Certainly we wouldn't leave West London or thereabouts and there are very few sites available.

"We have to do things with our other commercial activities to make up the deficit that is created by the fact we don't have a 60,000 seat stadium.

"I can't say that we will never move or have a new stadium but at the moment it's not at the front of our agenda.

"What's at the front of our agenda is increasing our commercial activities, increasing how our sponsors and increasing how we use new media."

|| SkySports ||

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could take chelsea out of stamford bridge but you cant take the stamford bridge out of chelsea

Stamford bridge Will always be chelseas area

Exactly! I'd much rather see the stadium expanded rather than us moving. But fair dos to Buck for saying we're not going anywhere :)

One thing the club could do if they want to be clever about things is play Champions League knockout games and big Premier League matches at Twickenham, but I suppose that is quite an unlikely thing. Stamford Bridge is our one true home and that's how it will be for the foreseeable future.

The Olympic Stadium has no personality, just like the emirates which looks like an airport.

If the club ever decided to build a stadium, i would rather it be like stamford bridge but bigger. Or like Real Madrid’s Bernabeu stadium. I would hate an Olympic style stadium with a running track.