Hip Hop discussion

Aria

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1 really hard worker + 1 really talented guy. The scene is flourishing; it's got more attention than the US scene now, which we never, ever, thought would happen. We owe the growth to those Youtube reaction videos & Drake pandering to Sneakbo, Skepta & now Dave.

Consistently hitting 1m+ views before Kodak, Kevin Gates, Young Thug, Yachty, Meek Mill, Ab Soul, Asap Ferg, all of Good Music's roster, YG, Nipsey, Chance the Rapper..

Only Drake, Rae Sremmurd, J Cole & Kendrick Lamar are bringing in more views as quickly. It's muad. Take away the radio support Rae S get and it's only the 3 biggest players of the genre bringing in more. Big big big things are happening right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Clearly by far Kendrick's least impressive body of material. A watered down version of what Isaiah Rashad released last year. 

I went to sleep feeling let down, but woke up to see a Top Dawg member saying 'this is that old Kendrick.' It did sound to me like these songs were all loosies from an old project, probably from what they intended to make after GKMC hence the terrible Rihanna feature + U2 to try and sell units. 

Drake randomly released a mixtape of loosies and called it an album, and that's what's happened here.

I repeat - what we were just given is a very watered down version of Isaiah. Isaiah is Top Dawg's best artist; just like Porsche could put the 911's engine inside their Cayman model, and that would instantly show everyone that the Cayman is by far the better car, but they wont do that, since the 911/Kendrick is the flagship and has already been cemented as the poster boy, regardless.

19 hours ago, Leif said:

Clearly by far Kendrick's least impressive body of material. A watered down version of what Isaiah Rashad released last year. 

I went to sleep feeling let down, but woke up to see a Top Dawg member saying 'this is that old Kendrick.' It did sound to me like these songs were all loosies from an old project, probably from what they intended to make after GKMC hence the terrible Rihanna feature + U2 to try and sell units. 

Drake randomly released a mixtape of loosies and called it an album, and that's what's happened here.

I repeat - what we were just given is a very watered down version of Isaiah. Isaiah is Top Dawg's best artist; just like Porsche could put the 911's engine inside their Cayman model, and that would instantly show everyone that the Cayman is by far the better car, but they wont do that, since the 911/Kendrick is the flagship and has already been cemented as the poster boy, regardless.

He obviously wants some feeling or vibe that you are not getting. Seems like he is just doing whatever the others are doing, but showing them he can do it better and if he can then they can as well.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:09 PM, Kieran. said:

DAMN. is incredible. 

All hail King Kendrick. He did it again. A much better work of body than More Life, which I have genuinely forgotten about already. I'll be bumping DAMN. for the rest of the year though.

Maybe I missed the point of GKMC but to me it seemed like a lamentation of the cycle of poverty and violence that is glorified and exasperated by ghetto culture. If that is what GKMC was about why does Lamar still talk, dress, and act like he still lives in the ghetto? I read some of his tweets and people pointed out he was using Blood gang slang.

Growing up in an upper class area of the Midwestern US, I can't "identify" with the majority of messages in rap. So I couldn't care less. My main priority with rap is that it makes my head nod and gives me a certain, indescribable feeling.

3 minutes ago, kmk108 said:

Growing up in an upper class area of the Midwestern US, I can't "identify" with the majority of messages in rap. So I couldn't care less. My main priority with rap is that it makes my head nod and gives me a certain, indescribable feeling.

Is this a response to my post?

1 hour ago, kmk108 said:

GKMC is still, by far, my favorite Kendrick album, but at least this one is better than To Pimp a Butterfly. I was so disappointed when I listened to that one.

TPAB is just as good as GKMC for me. Piece of art. But learning of your background, I understand why you might not like it. TPAB, GKMC, DAMN., Section.80. All classics. 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Is this a response to my post?

Kinda/not really :lol:

You were talking about a message from the GKMC album, and I just said that, to me, it doesn't really matter. For all the times I've listened to that album, I can't tell you what the message is, because I don't pay enough attention to the lyrics enough. Surely I'm missing out in some respects, but it's always been how I listen to rap.

More specifically to your point, I would say the way Kendrick talks, dresses and acts is from where he's grown up. Regardless of whether he's rich now, it's still who he is. Money and success doesn't always mean you change everything about you. If became successful, I wouldn't change how I talk. I wouldn't change how I dress (I would just have more of the style I already wear). I wouldn't change how I act, because the way I act is what would have made me successful. You say it's "ghetto culture" but I think that's a really simplistic way to describe it.