Hip Hop discussion

Aria

1 hour ago, kmk108 said:

Kinda/not really :lol:

You were talking about a message from the GKMC album, and I just said that, to me, it doesn't really matter. For all the times I've listened to that album, I can't tell you what the message is, because I don't pay enough attention to the lyrics enough. Surely I'm missing out in some respects, but it's always been how I listen to rap.

More specifically to your point, I would say the way Kendrick talks, dresses and acts is from where he's grown up. Regardless of whether he's rich now, it's still who he is. Money and success doesn't always mean you change everything about you. If became successful, I wouldn't change how I talk. I wouldn't change how I dress (I would just have more of the style I already wear). I wouldn't change how I act, because the way I act is what would have made me successful. You say it's "ghetto culture" but I think that's a really simplistic way to describe it.

That wasn't my point at all though. I interpreted GKMC as Lamar's rejection of his youth culture despite the fact he seemingly opening embraces it. It had nothing to do with money and success (I never mentioned that) because he wasn't a success before he released that album.

My guy's one of the few on the planet who could lyrically spar with Kendrick and not get beat up. If Los could actually make cohesive songs and tone down the wordplay a little, this is what we'd have - and Los is considered one of the best writers of all time.

http://www.majoralbums.com/albums/view/420/Anoyd_A-Time-and-Place

10 minutes ago, Leif said:

My guy's one of the few on the planet who could lyrically spar with Kendrick and not get beat up. If Los could actually make cohesive songs and tone down the wordplay a little, this is what we'd have - and Los is considered one of the best writers of all time.

http://www.majoralbums.com/albums/view/420/Anoyd_A-Time-and-Place

There are quite a few lesser known MC's that could rap circles around Kendrick and that's not a knock on him. His lyricism is elite in the sphere he competes in, which is the mainstream. These two are probably my favourite lyricists right now. 

• 7 months later...

Best track of the genre to ever come from the UK. Nothing else in grime, rap, dancehall, had a sound which could pierce and capture all of Europe, America, Africa, the islands. Hus is our jewel - and it's a damn shame his management have low ambition. Video would have another '0' on it if he was marketed correctly.

Scrufizzer's by far the most underrated high-tempo MC there's ever been. US or UK. I don't know why they give props to guys like P Money but not him; maybe it's the lack of pandering to young teenagers.

Really one of the best to ever do it; just not great at making songs. People would debate that maybe Black Thought, Kendrick, etc are the clear best alive - but when it comes to rhyme schemes & wordplay, Los could even be the best ever.

On 12/16/2017 at 8:43 PM, MrExcalibur100 said:

One of the top 10 MC's of all time in my book and possibly the most underrated.

Saw this on Twitter (someone uploaded the whole 10 minutes lol). Truly outstanding, shame real MCs don't get the recognition they deserve. This is pure creativity, skill, art. A real musician.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Any J Hus fans in here? His musical journey thus far has been great. Really has developed his own sound. 

7 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Any J Hus fans in here? His musical journey thus far has been great. Really has developed his own sound. 

I like him, although I do believe a few of his songs are riding the hype train. 

• 1 month later...

J Hus & Kojo Funds, both making the freshest music of the UK genre, both following similar sub-genres, both from the same estate/area.

Ex close-friends-turned Kojo stabbing J Hus up a year or 2 ago.

J Hus has the industry backing - Kojo has the ambition.