What does Chelsea still need to achieve in order to reach the status of teams such as Real or Barca

Swoopz

Oh yes, I'm not forgetting them. But if you look at their ages (bar Cech, who's still quite young in terms of career length) and then look at who's lined up to replace them. Well do you see my point on that front?

Yeah I got you know. We started bringing up young players under Mourinho and Ranieri and somehow stopped that and bought players like Shevchenko.

If we can continue where we left off concerning young players, that would do nicely.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have big fanbases in Africa and Asia. Look sometimes on club's facebook page, mainly Africans and Asians are commenting there.

I remember watching a report of Ghana before the WC, and one very little boy was asked who will win WC and the young fella said, "Chelsea". It was so funny.

Also remember one interview of a teenager from Africa, and he was explaining that it would mean everything for him to play for Chelsea and to play at Stamford Bridge, and that he has friends who have other favorite teams but that it is only Chelsea for him.

We can see from this that there are probably many young boys over the world who are dreaming to play for Chelsea, just like Drogba dreamt to play for Olympique de Marseille.

Chelsea only needs time and to continue with what we are doing.

I think another factor would be the players nationalities we have, many young Africans would support Chelsea because of Drogba and essien, similarly to young Dutch and French would follow arsenal because of past players like bergkamp, Henry etc. By having a players presence such as ramires for example, while playing for his national team will draw more attention to Chelsea in brazil, idolisation of a player by young fans and potentially future footballers would increase the chances of these players dreaming to play for Chelsea.

We have our own ways of buying players and I'm glad we don't just go out purchasing everyone we're linked up with. Most of the rumours are probably all made up so maybe that's why it seems like Chelsea has trouble getting big name players. Sure, we have money, but that doesn't mean we start throwing it away.

Also, fuck Barca and Real Madrid.

We need trophys and a lot of money... Is true, money buy players not always just the "name" of the team... Real, a great team (in back days) payed for Ronaldo in a matter of days 100 milions, so not only the name is important :)

We not need stars like Ronaldo, we need players like Drogba that are doing anything for the team.

I see your point but Chelsea should seriously just keep Stamford Bridge. It's full of history and I actually like the fact that it's not a super big stadium.

Stamford Bridge is a special place for Chelsea Football Club because we have played there in all of our histoy and there are lots of great memories there but if we expand Sb or build a new stadium we will get more money and more fans could see our games. I mean in few years we could have only the 5th biggest stadium in London (Wembley, Emirates Stadium, New Spurs Stadium, New West Ham Stadium aka Olympic Stadium) and if we want to be first the biggest club in Engalnd we have to have a bigger stadium. It's really a shame that SB can't be expanded to 60.000+ which would be great as we could keep our stadium and have a bigger and new one at the same time.

You've got to wonder though, would a stadium expansion really bring in more crowds? When every game is live on tv, when you can watch every match for free online, how will the club fill 60000 seats for every home game considering there are 4 other top flight teams in London?

You've got to wonder though, would a stadium expansion really bring in more crowds? When every game is live on tv, when you can watch every match for free online, how will the club fill 60000 seats for every home game considering there are 4 other top flight teams in London?

That's what would make us a big club. Look at Old Trafford or Santiago Bernabeu, they fill their 75'000+ stadiums week in week out.

Well.. I'd say for Premier League games, drop the prices. £40-50 is just too much when you're 17 years-old. Champions League, Carling Cup & FA Cup are average £30/ticket so that's alright. Usually for these games tickets go pretty quick..

That's what would make us a big club. Look at Old Trafford or Santiago Bernabeu, they fill their 75'000+ stadiums week in week out.

I get your point but the difference here is that those clubs have a monopoly in their cities. United is the biggest club in Manchester and Citeh are a distant second. Real are the biggest in the world, let alone Madrid. Same with Barcelona. Inter and AC Milan also never completely fill the San Siro, except during the Milan derby. That's the problem with having two or more big clubs from the same city. Arsenal and Spurs shared the biggest support in London in the 80s and 90s. So we are left with a relatively small supporter base. Fulham being a stone's throw away also doesn't help matters.

Well.. I'd say for Premier League games, drop the prices. £40-50 is just too much when you're 17 years-old. Champions League, Carling Cup & FA Cup are average £30/ticket so that's alright. Usually for these games tickets go pretty quick..

blink.gif

That's my monthly stipend!

I get your point but the difference here is that those clubs have a monopoly in their cities. United is the biggest club in Manchester and Citeh are a distant second. Real are the biggest in the world, let alone Madrid. Same with Barcelona. Inter and AC Milan also never completely fill the San Siro, except during the Milan derby. That's the problem with having two or more big clubs from the same city. Arsenal and Spurs shared the biggest support in London in the 80s and 90s. So we are left with a relatively small supporter base. Fulham being a stone's throw away also doesn't help matters.

I get you, but that's kinda our problem... if we want to attract players, we have to have a big fanbase. Someone mentioned bulding a new stadium, I don't think that's necessary but IF we choose to build a new one, then we certainly have to be sure we can fill it week in week out. Why can Arsenal fill a 60'000+ stadium without having won a trophy for the last 1000 years and we can't?

The last 2 league games went on general sale. Unless they seriously drop the prices theres no point in having a new stadium because it would be half empty every week, and that probably won't happen because somehow we would have to pay for the stadium - see Arsenal. Also Stamford Bridge is in the best location possible for transport, pubs, cleanliness etc. You won't find anywhere better, and of course it's our home. I think we may be overestimating the size of our match-going fanbase.

Why we can't expand the Bridge ??

There is no room, railway lines right behind the Matthew Harding and east stands. Only option would be to knock down the hotel but the club would probably lose money. Also the council, we had enough problems getting the ground as it is today.

I think we may be overestimating the size of our match-going fanbase.

Yeah, that's probably it. We have a huge international fanbase, even from Africa and Asia. But we have to see there are 5 Premier League clubs in London, as someone mentioned before it's harder for us to find match-going fans than for Real Madrid or Barcelona - or even Liverpool and United.

I think we would have to change the name of the club if we moved grounds and the bridge would be very difficult to expand so it looks as though we will be keeping things the way they are.