The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

We will be at the Rangers game tomorrow. It is our annual Remembrance Day game. This game has always been such an amazing day. A marvellous opportunity for us to show our appreciation to the troops. We invite them to come and they usually come on the pitch at half time so everyone can show their thanks. Everyone has a wonderful time, the servicemen and all Rangers fans particularly look forward to showing our support.

However this was sadly ruined last year by what can only be described as ridiculous prejudice and bigotry by certain 'people'.

After such a wonderful day, the fans shook hands with the servicemen, cheered them, observed a perfect minute silence, had a stunning card display. We had a gun fired to remember the people who have passed. The players wore special shirts with the poppy on.

Instead of being proud of us having such an important event.

The most ludicrous thing happened and I am glad my grandad was not alive to see it. The reactions
were astounding when you think of all the things that happen in the world this important celebration was deemed 'INAPPROPRIATE' .

Rangers were told they should not have the servicemen of Britain who risk their lives, onto the pitch at half time. This special day where they can accept warm appreciation and see how much Rangers supports the troops.

Rangers were told that Remembrance Day is for the dead, and should be a sombre occasion.

Told that JUST a minute silence alone is more than enough to honour the troops. Also told our events must be restricted in future, that this strong show of love for the DEAD and ALIVE servicemen was 'OFFENSIVE'

I am as disgusted today as I was year ago. I don't know if the servicemen will even be allowed to attend tomorrow but it won't stop our support.

I will wear my poppy with pride before that it is deemed 'inappropriate' to wear it.

I can't imagine how Chelsea would react if they were told the same thing. When Chelsea played Rangers in a friendly few years ago everyone was so thankful to the Chelsea pensioners for coming to the game at Ibrox, they were welcomed as heroes.

I urge everyone to wear their poppies. LEST WE FORGET

Well my MEDIMUN research has resulted in me coming across Golden Dawn.

I'm not sure whether it's party or a mafia......

They are some Neo-Nazi party. If you look at their history so far it's exactly the same as the Nazi's early days....... Violence, rising because of the crisis......

Can't wear poppies, because some people not originally from Britain who live here don't like it. Just like we shouldn't have England flags out during the World Cup. Absolutely, totally stupid and ridiculous that people think there is something wrong with honouring people who fought for this country.

Can't wear poppies, because some people not originally from Britain who live here don't like it. Just like we shouldn't have England flags out during the World Cup. Absolutely, totally stupid and ridiculous that people think there is something wrong with honouring people who fought for this country.

That tragically seems to be the case our countries gone to the dogs, I don't care I will wear my poppy and tomoz we shall celebrate our troops and I really don't give a flying **** who is offended.

My kids and I attend/work at a British school in China and my children proudly wear their poppies and attend the Remembrance Day celebration on Monday. They know more about the reasons it is important to remember than they ever did in the US.

I am proud to wear my poppy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Has anyone here watched the Ender's Game movie? If so, how was it?

Cheers. :)

My husband saw it and he said it was good but they rushed the book. He also said if you had not read the book you would never know that. Ender's game is one of his favorite books, so he maybe more critical than someone else.

The thing I really hate about the poppies/Remembrance Day is how it glorifies war.

We Shall Keep the Faith
Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,
Sleep sweet - to rise anew!
We caught the torch you threw
And holding high, we keep the Faith
With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led;
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies,
But lends a lustre to the red
Of the flower that blooms above the dead
In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red
We wear in honor of our dead.
Fear not that ye have died for naught;
We’ll teach the lesson that ye wrought
In Flanders Fields.

— Moina Michael, inventor of the Remembrance Day poppy, reminding you that it’s a great fucking idea to go to France and be machine gunned to death in hundreds of thousands. For your country.

The thing I really hate about the poppies/Remembrance Day is how it glorifies war.

We Shall Keep the Faith

Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,

Sleep sweet - to rise anew!

We caught the torch you threw

And holding high, we keep the Faith

With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red

That grows on fields where valor led;

It seems to signal to the skies

That blood of heroes never dies,

But lends a lustre to the red

Of the flower that blooms above the dead

In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red

We wear in honor of our dead.

Fear not that ye have died for naught;

We’ll teach the lesson that ye wrought

In Flanders Fields.

— Moina Michael, inventor of the Remembrance Day poppy, reminding you that it’s a great fucking idea to go to France and be machine gunned to death in hundreds of thousands. For your country.

Kieran, we are all aware of how you feel about war and anything that even remotely honors those who fight for our countries. Do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself, please. I am sick of being beaten over the head with them and refuse to bow down and apologize for being grateful to all those who have laid down their lives for my country and to ensure my freedom (and yours). An ounce of gratitude would go a long way for someone who lives in a country benefiting from those freedoms.

Kieran, we are all aware of how you feel about war and anything that even remotely honors those who fight for our countries. Do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself, please. I am sick of being beaten over the head with them and refuse to bow down and apologize for being grateful to all those who have laid down their lives for my country and to ensure my freedom (and yours). An ounce of gratitude would go a long way for someone who lives in a country benefiting from those freedoms. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Okay. I'll shut up because you don't agree with me. :rolleyes:

What is this Remembrance Day and the deal about it?

It is Veterans' Day in the US and is to honor all veterans and servicemen it is on the anniversary of the end of WWI

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day