Dropping a defender

With Bosingwa back in training, what are we going to do with our second centre back slot? Terry, as captain, is moreorless guaranteed a place in the starting eleven, so who starts alongside him? Ivan and Alex both had fantastic seasons but we can't play both without dropping Terry - and with Ancelotti clearly having his favourites it is obvious this won't happen. We can rotate defenders, of course, but would defence would you go with?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll we got many options with the first team:

1. Bosingwa Ivanovic Terry Cole
  2. Ivanovic Alex Carvalho Zhirkov
  3. Hutchinson Bruma Mancienne Van Aanholt

Obviously it's going to be hard to pick and it will possibly be changing every few games, but we have amazing depth in defence. But obviously with having 3 different defensive lines to pick from some players aren't going to get as much time and will perhaps get unhappy.

I think number 1 and 2 can be rotated around with any team we play and we should make sure everyone in 1 and 2 get a decent amount of playing time. Also Zhirkov can play the left Midfield position and Bosingwa the right so they've got more opportunities. I would start number 1 against the top say 6 teams though.

I think we should use number 3 in the Carling cup and against lower FA cup teams and perhaps rotate them in some Premiership games.

Ashley Alex Terry Bosingwa and Ivanovic first choice sub, and Carvalho after him.

Would not substitute Cashley and Bonsingwa, if you remember, the first couple months of last season when they both played, Chelsea were exceptional. They bomb down the flanks and provide crosses like no other. I'd put money on one defender getting injured and versatile Ivanovic will get his game time. Also the possibility of Ashley jetting off to Madrid.

Carvalho is definite to be moved on this summer.. That makes JT and Alex as our 1st choice pair.. Also, Im sure Boss wud get in once hes fit ahead of Iva in the RB slot.. Remember last season, the first 2 months? Ricky and Alex were chosen for alternative games... I think it wud be Alex and Iva for alternative games this season alongside JT and together in the Cup games..

If Ricky doesn't go it should be

Bosingwa --- Carvalho --- Terry --- A.Cole

With Bane being a back-up for Bosingwa and Alex rotating with Carvalho.

I'd rather have Van Aanholt covering Cole because Zhirkov is wasted in the defence.

I'd like Carvalho to leave in a way, just so ivanovic is a centre back option with Alex for 1st team.

This allows Hutchinson to become the 2nd choice right back in a sense, and I think he's certainly worthy of filling this role.

Riccy showed during the World cup that he still has got it..but Alex and Bran showed they can play very well when Riccy has been out injured and are both at the age where they are more than ready to play on a regular basis....if we sell Carvalho it may end up being a season too early but we could get decent money for him in comparison to his age, off the back of the World cup,which i don`t think we would get next year.

cash in now whilst we can and let the future continue to flourish... also it would be good for Riccy if he went to somewhere like Italy..in the Premiership he`s probably only got one year left in him..but in Serie A,he could very well have another 3 or 4 years at a high level.

we got some great defensive prospects..in particular Jeffrey Bruma who we could then keep in the 1st team squad which i would prefer over loaning him out and Hutchinson who due to his circumstances,isn`t likely to be loaned out.

and that`s not counting the extra money taken off the current wage bill...i will always be grateful for what Riccy has done with us,his Legend status is set, no matter what he does from here on in..but i think it`s best for both parties if we parted now..Carvalho in the more present..but us in the future.

I don't think it would be right to drop Ivanovic after the amazing season he had last season. I do agree Bosingwa is amazing at bombing up forward, I do think he could be an excellent impact sub next season, Someone to bring on with 30/25 minutes to go, Defences start getting tired, He could really make a difference that way.

JT will start obviously. Riccy being third choice for the second centre-back spot leaving Ivan and Alex to rotate taking into consideration factors like opposition, competition, fatigue, injury etc. Until bos returns, obviously Ivan to start at RB in league matches atleast. Depending on the Ashley-Real situation though, things could get interesting. If he stays, nothing better, but if he doesn't, do we play Bos there once fit, or do we play Yuri/PvA/Bruma? Assuming Ash stays and Bos returns from injury, I would love it if on the day of a big match I wake up to our back line reading Bos-Iva-JT-Ash

I don't think it would be right to drop Ivanovic after the amazing season he had last season. I do agree Bosingwa is amazing at bombing up forward, I do think he could be an excellent impact sub next season, Someone to bring on with 30/25 minutes to go, Defences start getting tired, He could really make a difference that way.

I agree with this, I like the sound of Bosingwa coming on and making a difference. Although the way we're being linked with van der Wiel, maybe he has thoughts of leaving?

I agree with this, I like the sound of Bosingwa coming on and making a difference. Although the way we're being linked with van der Wiel, maybe he has thoughts of leaving?

Maybe.. hope he doesn't.. he's a crackin player.

Bayern favourites to sign van der Wiel, well, so i've read anyway.

Well Bruma's a CB so we won't play Bruma in Asley's position that's for sure.

We did play Bruma in Ash's position quite a few times last season, as a sub ofc. Don't know the exact games in which this happened, but it did happen. Who knows, maybe the club are trying to improve his versatility.