Dropping a defender

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carvalho and Ferreira should lave, and i respect all the hard work and dedication the pair have shown, but the fact of the manner is there place in the team is not as strong as it once was. With Bruma, Hutchinson, Van Aanholt and possibly Mancienne and Cork contesting for a role in the rotation of the squad, the matter of the fact is that they are home grown players unlike Carvalho and Ferreira and they haven't gotten the age factor on their side.

The right back position is one which we have excellent support with: Ivanovic, Bosingwa, Hutchinson. But i do think Ivanovic should stay in that role for the excellent work he has done last season, bring on Bosingwa in a midfeild role or as an impact sub. With the left back position we have the same scenerio, two very good players in Zhirkov and Cole with the option of Van Aanholt. IMO, Zhirkov is better in the left midfeild role then LB, and it mostly depends on whom Carlo wants in the formation in midfeild to who plays there, but he is still an option.

I think the back pairing of Alex-Terry is one of the best in the league. And with Carvalho still being the club, he would most likely disturbed that partnership. With him gone, we only have Ivanovich, Bruma, Hutchinson and possibly Cork/Mancienne to rotate and i think we can do that without Carvalho.

League cup, FA Cup are really the games which the youngsters should be given the chance to shine. And i think the back line should be decided to the opponents style of play. If they are a team that would suffer more likely with an all out attacking approach, then play Bosingwa or otherwise use Ivanovich. I think it is great that no matter what our back line is better then most EPL teams, and that we have options with skilled players who can play the role if needed, like Essien.

I still think Carvalho can be of great use to us.He's a fast defender and none of our other top 3 are.

Having a pair of slow CBs may costs us against a top team,it might work in the league but in Europe it does matter.

If Terry wasn't who he is and didn't mean so much for the club I'd try pairing Alex or Ivanovic with Carvalho to see how that works,now since he's literally undroppable I believe the understanding he and Carvalho have should be used.

Our central defence is much better and "deeper" than those Arsenal or ManU have,thus even if Ricky moves to Milan we'll be in a good position.

Its very tough to call, its not fair for Bosingwa to walk straight back into the team ahead of Ivanovic after what a great season he has had.

It all depends on weither CA wants to start with Alex, hmmmmm???

It will either be

Ivanovic Alex Terry Cole... with Bosingwa on the bench

or

Bosingwa Ivanovic Terry Cole... with Alex on the bench

Sadly, I think Carvalho will move on.

I'd like to see Ivan keep his place after last season, & I think Alex should be first choice.

Ivan--- Alex--- Terry--- Cole

Maybe push Bosingwa into midfield he's too good a player to keep on the bench, I'm sure he'll be fighting for his place more than ever now, great problem for Carlo to have though.

Well no-one really knows what Bosingwa's form is like.. That injury could have set his pace back, he might be out of touch I'd like to see

Ivanovic -- Alex -- Terry -- Cole

If Alex were to get injured

Bosingwa -- Ivanovic -- Terry -- Cole

I like the idea of Bos being an Impact sub when the other team is tired, but honestly do not think he would be to keen on that. I think the Defense should be kept as it was last season with the swap between Ivan and Bos. But it would depend who is on form at the time.

I personally think it is time for Riccy to move on, he is a class professional but i think its time for the likes of Bruma or Ivan to take up that backup position.

I think our Central Defenders were better in the Mourinho era.

Just remember how many goals did we concede on set pieces between December and February,we clearly aren't untouchable.

That may be, but you'll have to look at the complete picture. We play a different system now, with more attack-minded football. This also gives us the opportunity to score way more goals. Our CB's still have to do a good job ofcourse, but nonetheless they don't carry the importance that they did in the Mourinho Era. Our defence may concede more, and therefore be 'weaker' than in the Mourinho Era, but our attack also scores a hell of a lot more. So imo there isn't really a problem with us having weaker CB's than before (if you consider that as true, wich i don't btw tophat.gif). Besides not only the defenders were defending in these days, the complete team did (wich makes the CB's probably look a lot less vulnerable). Under Ancellotti it's just the opposite, the whole team attacks.

To conclude, we should all just realise how lucky we are with such a good back line in terms of quality, depth and versatility! We could lose one of our starting CB's or RB's/LB's and change him for someone's who is surely at the same level, or even at a higher one. Many teams in Europe would be very grateful to have a backline like ours.

CB1: Terry, Ivanovic, Hutchinson

CB2: Alex, Carvalho, Bruma

LB: A. Cole, Zhirkov, Paulo Ferreira, PVA, Malouda :P ,

RB: Ivanovic, Bosingwa, Paulo Ferreira, Bruma, Mancienne, Hutchinson

And I even may be forgetting someone...

Depth-wise we're in a better position than most teams in Europe but I still have some doubts about our quality compared to the likes of Barcelona or Inter.

As I said a few posts earlier 3 out of our 4 main CBs are slow and this can cost us especially now that our football is more attacking and counter attacks will be lethal(see our Home game against Man.City).

A lot of people considered Carvalho to be the better defender in the Mourinho team and claimed that he usually masked Terry's defensive weaknesses,Terry can be a liability as we saw in the 1st game against Inter and he needs someone like Carvalho and I'm not sure Alex is the best option.

I'm not saying our central defence is bad or anything but I've been spoilt by our almighty defense under Mourinho and Guus.