Best Midfielder in Europe ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing holding Lampard back from being truely recognised is a CL winners medal.

And World Cup or EURO cup with England ...

Do you think if one Chelsea player will win the World cup than they could be named the best players of the season or is that reserved for Messi even if Argentina go out in 1st round. I think a player with Inter or Bayern (Sneijder, Robben, Ribery, Sweinsteiger, Lahm, Lucio, Samuel, Van Bommel, Julio Cesar) will have a good chance for winning FIFA Player of the Year if they win Champions League and World Cup ...

1.Xavi

2.Lampard

3.Essien

I hope I'm not the only person who thinks Xavi is overrated. Good player, yes, but the only reason why his passes are so accurate is because he usually plays the ball sideways or two yards in front of him. Creative; yes, inventive; yes. Better than Lampard; no.

I hope I'm not the only person who thinks Xavi is overrated. Good player, yes, but the only reason why his passes are so accurate is because he usually plays the ball sideways or two yards in front of him. Creative; yes, inventive; yes. Better than Lampard; no.

Xavi controls games with his footballing brain, he is a centre forwards dream in terms of his ability to find open spaces. The reason why he keeps it simple 90% of the time is because he does not see a opening, that other 10% is when the barcelona machine has been turned on. That's why i rate him so highly, he will not play a hollywood pass like carrick and alonso just to make the fans go wow and applause. Everything he does is calculated, that's what they teach kids in dutch soccer schools. Retain the ball for 90% of the game then that other 10% is when you spring a defence splitting pass. Obi mikel is really good at keeping the ball for 90% of the time but his other 10% is not as advanced. Keep the football away from your opponents make them chase it and expand energy then find that pacy striker like eto'o or torres.

Edited by Badboy

Give me Lampard's 20+ goals a season or Essien's drive over him anyway. I'm not denying Xavi is a good player - a very good player at that - I just don't see him as the brilliant engine others do. However my opinion probably isn't that vindicated because I can't stand Spanish football.

Xavi overrated? No. Better than Lampard? Yes. And the 2 yard pass argument sounds like the Frank Lampard goals tally via penalties argument. If both were THAT easy, everyone could do it.

And I LOVE Frank, and there is no shame being the 7th or 8th best midfielder in the WORLD. But there are SO many class midfielder. I mean Kaka (1 poor season at Madrid changes nothing for me), Iniesta, Fabregas, Sneijder, Essien, Silva, etc., etc..

Give me Lampard's 20+ goals a season or Essien's drive over him anyway. I'm not denying Xavi is a good player - a very good player at that - I just don't see him as the brilliant engine others do. However my opinion probably isn't that vindicated because I can't stand Spanish football.

The thing is lampard's goals are a added bonus, a midfielders job is to create first and foremost. Xavi is a master at this art !

The thing is lampard's goals are a added bonus, a midfielders job is to create first and foremost. Xavi is a master at this art !

Granted but Lampard has popped up with more than a few assists! I'd be interested in seeing Xavi's passing and assists statistics, if anyone has them, just to compare with Frank.

Lampsey seems to be the kind of footballer who wants to let the trophys and achievements speak for itself, and he does not make a bigg fuzz about himself, nor is he in the press with bad storys. And he seems to be not to bothered winning awards...just seems to be. We don´t know him so hard to tell but he goes on the pitch and always gives his best even if its not working out sometimes.

I really think Lamps is close to Zola in the rank of alltime best Chelsea players, at least for me.

Fuck off Paul Gerrad Cunt Scholes

You cant take away that Xavi is a good player. I dont think its right to compare him to Lampard for the main fact they play in two completely different leagues. There is no reason why any Chelsea fan would want Xavi over Lamps.

You're not. There is so many people who actually don't see him, but automaticly nominee him as the perfect midfielder because of all the hype. For those who saw Barcelona - Inter, wouldn't you expect a player like Xavi to really stand out. I mean, if he is such a super-creative passer of the ball, shouldn't he be able to lock up the defence with so much ball possesion et cetera? But did he? No, he wasn't anywhere near creating chances. A playmaker should definitely stand out in that kind of match.

Yes, he is excellent but also so overrated. He don't seem able to find the space to pass if his teammates aren't moving as much as they usually do.

Yes, he is excellent but also so overrated. He don't seem able to find the space to pass if his teammates aren't moving as much as they usually do.

Great point; it takes two to make a pass. I'm not taking anything away from Xavi but I think Lampard could do exactly the same role if he was in Barca's midfield with players like Messi and Pedro in the team.