Was Zhirkov really a good signing?

Wilson

I'm still not sure on Yuri yet. I mean when I saw him play in Russia he was brilliant. Especialy when playin midfield. I think he is a better midfielder/winger rather than a wing back. He hasn't seem to have done much for Chelsea yet, still seems a bit rusty. Maybe he just needs to get used to English football. Or maybe he just hasn't played enough yet? Maybe he should get some tips from his fellow country man Arshavin haha! What do you think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been difficult for him. There's no clear left midfield spot in the diamond, the LCM one is Lampard's. Malouda then starts if we're using the Christmas Tree or 4-3-3, which means Zhirkov chances in that position are limited. Then we've got one of the best left backs in the world, so his chances again are limited there. For me he's best when on the ball, running into the box from the left side, there's just so much competition for him though. At the moment it feels like we've paid £18m for a squad player.

He has potential to be a good player for us. The game against West Ham he only came on for the last 15 minutes and he was in my opinion our best player. But i think we got mugged. Like Cameron said, we have paid 18 million for a squad player. 7, 8 or 9 million i think would have been a good by but we paid way over the odds in my opinion.

Like Cameron said, we have paid 18 million for a squad player. 7, 8 or 9 million i think would have been a good by but we paid way over the odds in my opinion.

Yeah, half what we paid for him and he'd probably start to look like a decent signing. I just can't envisage him giving world class performanecs week after week anytime soon (next couple of years), which is what someone at that price entering the prime of their career should be achieving.

Edited by Cameron

Zhikov is good at left wing and not back

Problem is that Molouda wants to play at left wing, and even though he can be brilliant in that role, he is one of those players that expects to be played there. Plus Kalou is back and will probably be played there as well.

While we can play Zhirkov in midfield, the fact that Mikel is back, and Carlo seems to like playing Ballack and Deco (and eventually when Essien returns), he has very very little opputinities to be put at midfield/wing. Hopefully he stays, that way he can rest while everyone playes at the world cup and then shine at the pre-season games.

I must admire him for not going to the press and moaning that he is not being played enough (unlike Malouda).

Yuri don't disappointed me so far I think he's a very very useful player. If get more chance his confidence will increase and he will show us true abilities :) We can't forget that Malouda needed a lot of time to start play appropriate to his wages.

I think he's a very good signing. He hasn't scored the goals some people were expecting, but considering this is his first year at the club - a year plagued by injuries - I think he's actually been very good indeed. He puts himself about and looks a lively left winger, whilst being more than capable at deputising at left back when Ashley Cole is injured. He can play in the attack or defence in the 4-1-2-1-2 or the 4-3-2-1, and that sort of versatility as a midfielder is hard to come across.

Have really liked what i have seen of Yuri so far, think he has settled well after injuries and is starting to get into a good stride. I think by next season he will be a real asset to us, he is now but i think he will come on a lot after the summer. I can't see anything wrong with the signing of Zhirkov other than i would like to see him played further forward more often.