Was Zhirkov really a good signing?

Wilson

Have really liked what i have seen of Yuri so far, think he has settled well after injuries and is starting to get into a good stride. I think by next season he will be a real asset to us, he is now but i think he will come on a lot after the summer. I can't see anything wrong with the signing of Zhirkov other than i would like to see him played further forward more often.

emo3.gif voice of reason again

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have really liked what i have seen of Yuri so far, think he has settled well after injuries and is starting to get into a good stride. I think by next season he will be a real asset to us, he is now but i think he will come on a lot after the summer. I can't see anything wrong with the signing of Zhirkov other than i would like to see him played further forward more often.

emo3.gif voice of reason again

It is to early to call him a good signing or not. He's been in the club for aproxomately six months now, and adapting to the English football and life in no-time isn't the easiest thing to do. Injuries got to take some of the blame. He wasn't able to play two consecutive (Chelsea-)games at the start of the season. Have in mind that the Russian league doesn't start and end at the same time in the year as in England. Plus the system we've played in large periods of this season doesn't suite him as a player. The only natural position for him in the Diamond is at the left-back, and the way Ash started the season it is impossible to exclude him from the line-up. In my opinion, it looks like he is improving every game. Playing better and better. And it seems like he is getting more used to the way of playing in England. Step by step, he is slowly becoming the player I imagined he would be for us. Though I don't think we can defend his £18 million price-tag just yet. Stiff price for what looks like a back-up for A. Cole.

Edited by Toft

It is to early to call him a good signing or not. He's been in the club for aproxomately six months now, and adapting to the English football and life in no-time isn't the easiest thing to do. Injuries got to take some of the blame. He wasn't able to play two consecutive (Chelsea-)games at the start of the season. Have in mind that the Russian league doesn't start and end at the same time in the year as in England. Plus the system we've played in large periods of this season doesn't suite him as a player. The only natural position for him in the Diamond is at the left-back, and the way Ash started the season it is impossible to exclude him from the line-up. In my opinion, it looks like he is improving every game. Playing better and better. And it seems like he is getting more used to the way of playing in England. Step by step, he is slowly becoming the player I imagined he would be for us. Though I don't think we can defend his £18 million price-tag just yet. Stiff price for what looks like a back-up for A. Cole.

Tat hits the nail on the head. I think we can only really judge him next season.

Sometimes I really forgot about him, he doesn't have space to play as we heard in recent posts but shorely he has quallty to show in future! He is a decent cover overpaid yes, but he can improve and I don't think that putting him in the middle is a good idea.