Blues plan box-office arrival

skysports.com

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck insists the club are still confident of completing a 'marquee' signing before the end of the summer transfer window.

The Blues have long been linked with Valencia star David Villa while AC Milan's Andrea Pirlo and Alexandre Pato have been viewed as targets following the Stamford Bridge arrival of former San Siro boss Carlo Ancelotti.

However, eye-catching buys have yet to materialise, with just Russia international Yuti Zhirkov completing his move from CSKA Moscow on a three-year contract on Tuesday to truly grab the headlines.

Having only finished third in the Premier League last season, it has been suggested Chelsea's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich is again prepared to make his mark on the transfer market after a couple of low-key years.

And Buck has confirmed hopes are high of securing a box-office name, telling Chelsea TV: "We are looking for a marquee name, if that is the right terminology.

"But, as you know, as you read about in the papers, most of the big clubs are chasing the same players.

"We are only going to get one of those top-notch players, and there aren't very many of them, if the price is right and he fits into our team appropriately.

"But we are looking and we are optimistic."

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOd.. Puhleezzz.. Let it be Aguero !!! We need sum1 of his type who can take on defenders and do a bit of diving :P which seems real !!! He is very gd at it unlike Drogs who cannot draw a foul even if its genuine !! :blink:

Ok.. Just kidding :mouthclosed:

Tevez :rolleyes:

It would not surprise me in the least if it was Tevez. He was supposed to be telling the world on Monday that he had signed for Citeh, but today is Wednesday and still nothing from Tevez.

When i was watching his interview on CTV last night i certainly perked up when i heard those comments. He certainly sounded confident of bagging a "marquee" signing. I am not sure if Tevez would class as the type of signing discussed, i would have thought that it would be from Ribery, Pato or Aguero. As much as i would love to see Pato here i think Milan fans would burn down their stadium if they sold him as well. There has been silence on Aguero for a while, i do hope that we are looking to bring him in.

He also said that they would still be looking to bring in 4 or 5 signings this summer, so i think that would mean 1 more signing and then hopefully the big name that we would all love to see.

When i was watching his interview on CTV last night i certainly perked up when i heard those comments. He certainly sounded confident of bagging a "marquee" signing. I am not sure if Tevez would class as the type of signing discussed, i would have thought that it would be from Ribery, Pato or Aguero. As much as i would love to see Pato here i think Milan fans would burn down their stadium if they sold him as well. There has been silence on Aguero for a while, i do hope that we are looking to bring him in.

He also said that they would still be looking to bring in 4 or 5 signings this summer, so i think that would mean 1 more signing and then hopefully the big name that we would all love to see.

I wonder though , would Tevez come under the category of marquee name. He is an excellent player but Im not sure if he is a marquee name. As you said though I wouldnt be surprised if Chelsea added another player to the squad and then brought in the marquee name. My guess for the marquee name is either Aguero or De Rossi. Both are long shots though.

I wonder though , would Tevez come under the category of marquee name. He is an excellent player but Im not sure if he is a marquee name. As you said though I wouldnt be surprised if Chelsea added another player to the squad and then brought in the marquee name. My guess for the marquee name is either Aguero or De Rossi. Both are long shots though.

It is very hard for us to know. What we do know (and it is good to hear) is that we are chasing a big name signing. Hopefully the club will make the right signing. I would be happy for Tevez to sign for us, but if we are talking a BIG signing for big money it has to be either Pato or Aguero for me every time!!!!