Glen Johnson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool remain confident beating Chelsea for Portsmouth fullback Glen Johnson.

The News of the World says Kop boss Rafa Benitez will lodge a £10 million bid when the Portsmouth full-back returns from international duty with England.

Benitez is keen to land Johnson, 25, after suffering a major setback when Villa's Gareth Barry chose Manchester City.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is also interested but Benitez hopes Johnson's previous unhappy spell at Stamford Bridge will influence his decision. Benitez can guarantee Johnson he will be a first-choice next season.

ENGLAND right-back Glen Johnson is heading back to Chelsea in a stunning ­£16.5million deal.

#bodycopy a { font-size: 12px; }

The Portsmouth defender has ­opted to go back to Stamford Bridge despite strong interest from ­Liverpool.

Spurs, managed by Johnson’s former West Ham and Pompey boss Harry ­Redknapp, were also in the race.

But Johnson, 24, is set to become the first Chelsea signing of the Carlo ­Ancelotti era.

His decision to stay in the south will be a bitter disappointment for Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez.

Johnson moved to Fratton Park from Chelsea for £4.5m but has since ­established himself as England’s first-choice right-back.

He played in Almaty against ­Kazakhstan last night and is due to face Andorra at Wembley on Wednesday.

His deal to rejoin FA Cup winners Chelsea will be valued at £16.5m but less than that will change hands as Pompey still owe money on the original deal.

­Aston Villa’s Ashley Young is also one of Ancelotti’s top targets,

Young enjoyed another great season for Villa last term, being named in the PFA team for a second successive year and also scooping the Young Player of the Year award.

Chelsea have held a long-term interest in Young and they see him as a key addition to their squad as they look to rebuild their ageing side.

Former boss Guus Hiddink is thought to have ­recommended a move for Young as the club look to bring in more ­English talent.

Young has established himself as one of the most exciting players in the ­Premier League since bursting on to the scene at Watford and he would fit into Chelsea’s plans to introduce a brand of more attractive attacking football.

Villa chief Martin O’Neill is a big fan of Young and would be loathe to lose the England international after having ­already seen Gareth Barry leave for Manchester City this summer.

Johnson set for Pompey exit

skysports

Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie has told Sky Sports News that the club have received a bid for Glen Johnson and that a deal could be concluded imminently.

The England international has enjoyed the best season of his career to date in starring for Portsmouth and in the process has established himself as Fabio Capello's first choice at right-back.Former club Chelsea, who Johnson left to join Portsmouth, have been credited with making a bid, as have Manchester City and Liverpool, who in some reports are thought to be the front-runners for his signature.

Storrie admits he will not block the player from joining a club that will enable him to play in the UEFA Champions League next season.

He told Sky Sports News: "Glen has had a fantastic season for us and I think he is the best right-back in the country at the moment.

"I've know Glen a long while, from my West Ham days. When I re-signed him (at Portsmouth) we talked things over.

"He said, 'If one of the big four come in with Champions League football, would you stand in my way?'

"I told him I couldn't do that. Providing the deal is right for Portsmouth and Glen then we will look to try and do something in the right way.

"It is very hard to try and hold people back when they have a chance to play in the Champions League. I accept that."

When asked if an offer of between £15million and £18million had been tabled, Storrie replied: "You may not be a million miles away from the mark."

Storrie went on to concede that a deal could be struck imminently, adding: "I wouldn't think it would be too long."

<h2 class="padding-bottom-7" style="font-size: 1.05em; line-height: 1.05em;"> </h2>

<h2 style="font-size: 1.05em; line-height: 1.05em;" class="padding-bottom-7">Chelsea are edging ahead in the battle to sign Portsmouth full-back Glen Johnson. </h2> Pompey have had offers of around £18million from the Blues, Liverpool and Manchester City, with Bayern Munich and Spurs also showing an interest.

But Fratton Park sources insist Stamford Bridge is the likeliest destination for the 24-year-old England international - and expect a deal to be done this week.

Johnson had four years at Chelsea but started only 35 league games.

He spent the 2006-07 season on loan at Portsmouth before joining them permanently for £4m in the summer of 2007.

The defender signed a four-year deal in January but Pompey executive chairman Peter Storrie revealed: "When he re-signed, Glen asked if one of the big four came in would we stand in his way and I said we couldn't do that."

City could still blow everyone out of the water and are ready to pay Johnson £100,000 a week, making it a toss-up between silverware and cash.

I still think he wont want to come back here after getting flogged previously.

Its like you've been sacked and they come crawling back wanting you to work for them again. If I was him I'd tell us to ram it tbh :lol:

Different set up now, different manager.

It will all depend on how the move is sold to him. Playing at Chelsea under Ancelotti is not the same as playing at Chelsea under Jose....

Different set up now, different manager.

It will all depend on how the move is sold to him. Playing at Chelsea under Ancelotti is not the same as playing at Chelsea under Jose....

True, but there must still be something in the back of his head telling him to think twice about a return.

16million.. OMFG!

what a waste of money boswinga was then.

this deal just dosent make any business sence what so ever, jesus...

Chelsea dont take business sense into consideration when buying and selling players, they have proven this over the years, but bringing Glen back would be a good addition to the squad. He has improved leaps and bounds since he's left and we shouldnt have let him go in the first place.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You