Megson unimpressed by Chelsea behaviour

Bolton manager Gary Megson has criticised the behaviour of Chelsea players after their Champions League semi-final exit to Barcelona at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. Didier Drogba and Michael Ballack both angrily confronted referee Tom Henning Ovrebo after the 1-1 draw which put the Catalans into the final on away goals.

The incidents were played out in the full glare of live television, which also picked up Drogba swearing into the camera, and Megson said there was no place for such behaviour.

"I can fully understand the Chelsea players being as irate as they were, being so close to a Champions League final yet finishing so far away from it," he said.

"But I thought the scenes did not reflect well on the game we have - not so much Chelsea and the players involved but football.

"Whether the referee has had a good, bad or indifferent game you can't behave like that.

"Football does not intend to hold its players up as role models, people tend to do that for them, but just in normal behaviour that is not on.

"You can come out with a load of reasons why, although you can never justify it, but it is just not on and I'm sure everyone involved in it will apologise for those things.

"It does not reflect well on the game itself."

Source: ITV.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our reactions were unprofessional, but with so much at stake and so much injustice, anger is completely understandable and I won't hold it against the players for it, and neither should anyone else. Drogba and maybe Ballack will probably face punishment for their actions, but who cares.

yeh because bolton managers past and present are well known for being in control of their feelings

i think he should save his comments for when he's put in the same situation and see his reaction

all opposition managers are going to get onto the "critisize our players" campaign so it's expected

He can go and stuff himself. Who honestly gives a shit as to what he thinks

Who is this "megson prick" you speak of and why oh why would itv give coverage to a nobody to voice

their opinions-------prize pillock that has achieved fuck all

When Gary Megson actually manages a team that plays in teh European Cup let alone the Champions Leaugue then maybe he can voice his opinions, until you have no right to comment and should focus on your useless bunch

Why the fuck did he feel the need to voice an opinion??

Personally, I don't give a flying fuck what Megson reckons. Personally I think the referee should be taken outside and fucking shot. Personally, I'm saddened that neither Drogba, Terry or Ballack were sufficiently wound up to stick the head on the cunt............Then that would have been worth a ban :shoot:

Don't really know what Megson has to do with any of this, so I don't know why he felt to need to say this. It was unprofessional indeed, but he does not really understand how it feels to be robbed of a victory due to the referee.

ERINBLUE - you paddy shit. get off this site and support your own league!

What was the point in this comment? Cut it out. We accept all nationalities here, if you can't handle it, bore off.

What was the point in this comment? Cut it out. We accept all nationalities here, if you can't handle it, bore off.

Endorsed, we accept all peoples of the worlds Russians , Ivory Coastians, Czecoslovaxians - we needs there monies. I 'm from Bologna and i'm pissed at last night - I love Chelsea and all the Italian greats who played for the azzuri of england - Zola , Casirighi, Cascarino and Vialli but I also love Bologna FC 1909 . I can understand whys John Thierry is annoyed but he is allowed to support 2 teams JT- one from home and one from the best league in the world.

Erin Bleu who do you like in Irlande - I like Dublin , we are playing in there stadium in September when we play Ireland at Crock Park.

We must all get along during these tough times please - let's all pull together.