Chelsea (4)1-1(2) Newcastle

James

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hate to be doom and gloom but I don’t think we should be getting overly excited yet. In fact far from it.

Yes we are in the semi finals but the performance was still pretty awful in attack. We are never going to break any teams down playing like that and you cannot rely on other teams making huge errors like Trippiers for the goal every game. 

The players celebrating getting to a domestic cup semi final in that fashion, for me, is just odd… yes show of passion but I suppose it just shows where about we are as a club and that perhaps for now, getting to a semi final is going to be much more of an achievement than it was years ago for previous groups. 

Nahhh course not. There are huge huge huge huge issue mainly the scoring issue but nice we can score in some form just that's it's penalties. No doubt back to same old Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

call me insane, but I still think Muddy can come good

he is one of the ten quickest AND fastest (2 different things) I have even seen

he just needs to be coached to improve his footballing cognition which, (contrary to popular opinion) can be improved

I think he will be mid. A but like gronkjaer back then.  He will learn how to use that devastating pace better with time and score a banger here and there but overall he is too old to improve much upon his football brain. In narrow spaces and situations that need quick thinking he will  mostly  remain insufficient 

14 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

Nahhh course not. There are huge huge huge huge issue mainly the scoring issue but nice we can score in some form just that's it's penalties. No doubt back to same old Sunday.

Hopefully Nkunku is able to play a bit more on Sunday as I think his style will suit playing with the likes of Palmer and even Sterling.

He will get in the box. He won’t sit out wide waiting for the ball to get fizzed across and come out to him.

Sterling also does this but he has been much more of a creative source than a goalscorer for us this season, playing more directly, much more 1 v 1 and getting to the byline as opposed to getting across the box like he would at City. This is why I hope Gusto and Maatsen are given a run out next time round because the width and ability to go on the outside as well to put crosses in will encourage the wider attacking players to flood the box more.

Erratic finishing doesn’t/won’t help either. Jackson had a few tonight where your thinking christ how has he managed that

Edited by OneMoSalah

34 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

gronkjaer

His most notable Chelsea performance came against Liverpool on the final day of the 2002–03 season, assisting with the first goal and scoring the second at Stamford Bridge to give Chelsea a 2–1 victory and fourth place in the league, which allowed the club to qualify for the upcoming 2003–04 UEFA Champions League tournament.

The importance of this result cannot be overstated, as qualification for the Champions League was considered essential to Roman Abramovich's impending takeover of the club, which was at the time in some financial difficulty. For this reason, it is often referred to as the "billion pound goal."

When ready to play 90mins Nkunku must take place of Jackson/Broja. They offer nothing. I am happy with Mudryk, Sterling and Palmer as winger options. Conor number one in MF, it would be mental and unforgiveable if they sell him.

Eventually Enzo and Caicedo will come good and Lavia is close.

Gusto back is massive and maybe now is the moment to try Maatsen as LB until Ben is back. And Petrovic may be our answer to GK issues. Massive boost this win. 

I'm going to be positive about this one. I genuinely thought it was a really good performance... showed control and passion. The only thing missing was better attacking movement and the final pass. 

Loved seeing Palmer shhhhing the Geordies... fucking brilliant. 

Thought Caicedo and Galladog were excellent. Galladog was everywhere... Caicedo did soo well to play the way he did on a yellow after a couple of minutes.

Let's hope we carry this momentum into the Wolves game now.

1 hour ago, Chuckso said:

There is no keeper that comes to mind that I can remember that possesses Sanchez’s distribution skills and calmness in possession. He is an upgrade on sweeper-keeper Manuel Nuer got his reputation on. Added to his, what I see is, decent shot stopping - we stole him off Brighton. 

You have got to be trolling.

Sanchez with excellent distribution skills?

It was barely 2 weeks ago (forget which match) that he kicked two successive goal kicks out into the stands.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hate to be doom and gloom but I don’t think we should be getting overly excited yet. In fact far from it.

Yes we are in the semi finals but the performance was still pretty awful in attack. We are never going to break any teams down playing like that and you cannot rely on other teams making huge errors like Trippiers for the goal every game.

Nkunku being back though maybe that'll change a bit but still think with us and how we try to play through midfield, Caicedo and Enzo… just don’t do enough as a pair for me and whilst Gallagher has improved a lot and probably our best player on the park, he has a limit and a role. The starting fullbacks tonight also limit how he play in the other half of the pitch I feel, I think you can see Disasi and Colwill aren’t completely comfortable and Gusto made a difference.

The players celebrating getting to a domestic cup semi final in that fashion, for me, is just odd… yes show of passion but I suppose it just shows where about we are as a club and that perhaps for now, getting to a semi final is going to be much more of an achievement than it was years ago for previous groups. 

I believe Palmer is the best option for leading a three-man midfield, as he's the only one who has the ability to make that crucial pass, which the other three lack. It's hard to watch Enzo in that position at times.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

call me insane, but I still think Muddy can come good

he is one of the ten quickest AND fastest (2 different things) I have even seen

he just needs to be coached to improve his footballing cognition which, (contrary to popular opinion) can be improved

I'm of the same mindset. I have been challenged a few times about my stance, but I still believe he has the key abilities that are almost essential in football nowadays. If we were talking about the 70-80's, I'd have a completely different mindset.

9 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

I was not impressed with Mudryk.
Spoiled two useful Chelseas attacks before the goal.
He capitalised on Trippier's error and scored his pen but that's not enough to impress me.

Feel the same way about his overall play. He's very wasteful, which is a hard thing to withstand at this level.

Maybe he will become employable eventually, but in the immediate future I'd stick with the clearly better players esp with Nkunku back.

I do feel he's a player for smaller team though, where he can make full use of his pace.

Edited by robsblubot

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

His most notable Chelsea performance came against Liverpool on the final day of the 2002–03 season, assisting with the first goal and scoring the second at Stamford Bridge to give Chelsea a 2–1 victory and fourth place in the league, which allowed the club to qualify for the upcoming 2003–04 UEFA Champions League tournament.

The importance of this result cannot be overstated, as qualification for the Champions League was considered essential to Roman Abramovich's impending takeover of the club, which was at the time in some financial difficulty. For this reason, it is often referred to as the "billion pound goal."

I have to be pedantic with this one.

While ofcourse that goal gave us extra security the "billion pound goal" should be credited to Desailly as a draw was enough.

2 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

You have got to be trolling.

Sanchez with excellent distribution skills?

It was barely 2 weeks ago (forget which match) that he kicked two successive goal kicks out into the stands.

I think when "on it" he does, infact i saw an analysis video a few weeks back about how he was a major reason we were breaking City's press so easily.

His issue is he blows far too hot and cold with it and often takes unnecessary gambles, ala Arsenal.

4 hours ago, Strike said:

The noises around selling Connor when he's been the only semi-reliable midfielder this season is not helping at all. I think an exception needs to be made here 

Unfortunately, feel like Gallagher being sold is only a matter of time to help balance the FFP books.   Would be between him/Chalobah/Broja for getting pure profit on the books.