Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Costa?

Tbf, the "natural evolution" of the team as Term put it was not that he would be dropped completely, but that he would replace Cahill at CB.

Costa is decent in the air.

Possibly, but how often has Mourinho played Iva as a CB? I don't think he'll do it. Only change would be in the FB positions, unless there is an injury.

I'm ambivalent about Iva to be honest. I was in the bandwagon when he was supporting our attack really. He continues to be useful there, but the exposition he keeps leaving behind is difficult to handle with. As I said a few pages ago it's impossible for him to be at the two places at the same time, but nothing forgives his sloppiness in the goal yesterday.

If he's so essential in the set-pieces, maybe you guys defending him to replace Cahill in the CB may actually have a point. I just don't see Mourinho doing it at all. He's been a liability indeed, completely irresponsible and sloppy in the back. I'm surprised Mourinho pretends not to see it.

Costa is decent in the air.

Possibly, but how often has Mourinho played Iva as a CB? I don't think he'll do it. Only change would be in the FB positions, unless there is an injury.

Because not moving Iva to CB means that we'll need to get TWO new CBs in the next two windows and only worsens our defensive troubles this season.

From God to peasant. The time when attackers attack and not defend and fullbacks sit back and hold tight is over. There is a little thing called overlapping. Just look at Bayern: Lahm and Alaba can play at the back, in the center, on the wings and in Alaba's case even in the friggin 10 position. Dave is well behind in that regard, seeïng a bombing fullback like Ivanovic this season was a welcomed sight to me because honestly the Premier League is getting stagnant with their views in how football should be played. Real, Barca, Dortmund, Bayern and Atletico are all currently a step ahead in that regard.

I'm ambivalent about Iva to be honest. I was in the bandwagon when he was supporting our attack really. He continues to be useful there, but the exposition he keeps leaving behind is difficult to handle with. As I said a few pages ago it's impossible for him to be at the two places at the same time, but nothing forgives his sloppiness in the goal yesterday.

The annoying part with Ivanovic is that we haven't conceded goals from counter attacking situations where he's been caught out too high up the pitch or something. Instead, they are when he's actually in the position to defend and do his job properly but then, he has bottled it with his poor concentration levels and decision making. 5 of the 8 goals we've conceded this season in all competitions have come from our right hand side and that should really tell us something about a problem there.

If he's so essential in the set-pieces, maybe you guys defending him to replace Cahill in the CB may actually have a point. I just don't see Mourinho doing it at all. He's been a liability indeed, completely irresponsible and sloppy in the back. I'm surprised Mourinho pretends not to see it.

This forum is amazing...the way how people change opinions is unbelievable. Last time he was best fullback in the world, but after one game, people point he should be dropped/switch position etc..

Barb, this isnt pointing at you only, afterall you admited it and put on the reasons, but there are people out here who change opinon from best to worst literaly every game.

And concerning set pieces, Costa and Matic should fucking work on that. They have height and it should be normal to for them to present a danger, but while Costa does it decently, Matic is missing every damn time when we could use a tall man in box.

This forum is amazing...the way how people change opinions is unbelievable. Last time he was best fullback in the world, but after one game, people point he should be dropped/switch position etc..

Barb, this isnt pointing at you only, afterall you admited it and put on the reasons, but there are people out here who change opinon from best to worst literaly every game.

And concerning set pieces, Costa and Matic should fucking work on that. They have height and it should be normal to for them to present a danger, but while Costa does it decently, Matic is missing every damn time when we could use a tall man in box.

I'm saying I'm ambivalent about him. At one hand he's the best we have supporting the attack, but at the same time he's been sloppy in defense. I hasn't paid close attention to his mistakes, but after someone pointed them out, I've checked them.

He's been a little sloppy and it has little to do with with him being caught out of position attacking. He was caught a few times in this situation and somehow we handled. It were the times we were actually in the back that he came short.

Also I admitted jumping into the bandwagon, so if anything, I'm admitting a previous mistake. I'm a bit more sober about him now.

It seems that the aim is to play with a right attacker who naturally cuts inside most times with a RB overlapping. This overloads the attack.

Defensively Iva has akways dropped more central to his CB, even Dave naturally does it too, that's why we are one of the best at parking the bus. We end up having 4 CB's with our wingers back as fullbacks. Then it is for the pivot and number 10 to shield the middle, problems arrive when the wingers lack concentration, or the distance between a tucked in Iva and the defending right winger is large, providing dangerous space as Man city showed. Jose was not in charge for our reserves reaction when we went 1-0 up, it was just a natural tendency from our fullbacks to tuck in, rather than spread out wide and push up slightly, with the CB's spreaded too. Man city, arsenal, you name it play that way because it makes the pitch bigger and helps possession.

This is what we need to do, Luis is capable but i don't think Iva it to a lesser degree out centre backs are capable

Because not moving Iva to CB means that we'll need to get TWO new CBs in the next two windows and only worsens our defensive troubles this season.

Which will leave us with Azpi and Luis as our only fullbacks unless Ake is ready for a major squad role.

We have imo made a mistake coming in the season with 5 defenders then teenagers, but we have a top medical team so hopefully it won't come back to bite us.

Which will leave us with Azpi and Luis as our only fullbacks unless Ake is ready for a major squad role.

We have imo made a mistake coming in the season with 5 defenders then teenagers, but we have a top medical team so hopefully it won't come back to bite us.

We took the same chance in the second half of last season and I thought we were playing with fire. Hope we can get away with it again. Two injuries to defenders and we're screwed.

I have a hard time seeing Mou dropping Brana. I think that Mou sees him as one of the first on the starting XI. Brana has been in the team so many years now, and is an absolutely vital part of the team. His presence on the pitch is invaluable. Furthermore he is a vital part of the locker room as well.

Luis is a great player and great signing as well, but the way the team is playing in the Prem at the moment, why should we change the back 4? Dave is so trustworthy. He never plays a bad game, and always fights 100% - even though he is not playing his natural position! Luis will get his changes, and be more and more integrated in the starting XI during the season, and become a first team regular, no doubt about that.

Why should jose "drop" iva?

In the last 3 matches we have played

Azpi-luis - bolton

Iva-azpi - villa

Iva-luis - lisbon

He is rotating our FBs well. Plus except for the city match, iva has been GREAT. Last season people were cribbing about his offensive contribution but now that he has a target to cross to and in general has been freat offensively, they are knit picking on a couple of defenaive errors.