Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Ivanovic, Ramires and (soon) Costa almost epitomise Mourinho's favourite type of player — one who is technically inept but hard-working.

:carlo: Actually Diego Costa is one of the most technically gifted strikers out there. Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Berbatov, Diego Costa etc.

He might bully defenders 24/7, but he isn't really Crouch 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

:doh:

Hmm? Ivanovic and Ramires are technically woeful, Costa perhaps less so but relative to the level you'd expect for a striker at the top level he's not exactly great in that department. They are all hard-working though, and Ivanovic and Ramires are practically undroppable with the former playing more minutes than anyone else in our team this year. What do you disagree with there?

Give a couple of tattoos and he'll be the Serbian Raul Meireles:

fft104mm2005978.jpg

I don't know.

I personally wouldn't be intimidated by Raul Meireles if I ran into him in a dark alley because he looks like he weighs about 110 lbs. Ivanovic on the other hand looks like a terminator. Or one of those stereotypical giant Russian goons from a Statham film.

Hmm? Ivanovic and Ramires are technically woeful, Costa perhaps less so but relative to the level you'd expect for a striker at the top level he's not exactly great in that department. They are all hard-working though, and Ivanovic and Ramires are practically undroppable with the former playing more minutes than anyone else in our team this year. What do you disagree with there?

I don't disagree about Ramires & Ivanovic being technically poor. What I do disagree with though is the idea that Mourinho's favorite players are those that are technically inept but hard working.

Am i the only one who thinks he is good at RB? I mean he is no where near this fraud (in that position) that people make out.

I agree that Azpi is a better option these days vs the lesser sides in the league, i just find it a shame that a player who was the best RB in the prem under Ancelotti (he was a good crosser back then, when we had Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Ballack and Lamps getting on the end off them) is getting branded as a fraud RB is a shame.

TOPTB has touched up on this a few times but at goal kicks Cech booting it to Ivan at the sideline to head it in the centre has been a way we have started attack's and also led to Schurrle's goal vs City i think.

Deserves a lot more credit than he actually gets.

someone starts a myth and then everyone follows. whats worse is that people had started thulping iva over his crosses and in that somehow, azpi was made to be the best crosser the world has ever seen. but the cardiff match showed us what the reality is. when there is no target man to cross to, all your crosses will end up being useless.

Am i the only one who thinks he is good at RB? I mean he is no where near this fraud (in that position) that people make out.

I agree that Azpi is a better option these days vs the lesser sides in the league, i just find it a shame that a player who was the best RB in the prem under Ancelotti (he was a good crosser back then, when we had Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Ballack and Lamps getting on the end off them, coincidence im sure) is getting branded as a fraud RB.

TOPTB has touched up on this a few times but at goal kicks Cech booting it to Ivan at the sideline to head it in the centre has been a way we have started attack's and also led to Schurrle's goal vs City i think.

Ivan deserves a lot more credit than he actually gets.

My problem with Ivanovic is is that he's very ineffective in the final third of play. His crossing ability has massively declined - he fails to get them past the first man on numerous occasions. It isn't just his crossing ability either; he's clearly uncomfortable on the overlap and has no attacking flair whatsoever. Apart from that he's a very solid player. I think that is most people's qualms with Ivanovic. Doesn't mean they're saying he's a bad RB, just that he's below average going forward - especially in games where we will have the most of the ball - moves on the right break down on Ivanovic a lot of times, so obviously people will get frustrated with that. Plus, he's better at CB.

My problem with Ivanovic is is that he's very ineffective in the final third of play. His crossing ability has massively declined - he fails to get them past the first man on numerous occasions. It isn't just his crossing ability either; he's clearly uncomfortable on the overlap and has no attacking flair whatsoever. Apart from that he's a very solid player. I think that is most people's qualms with Ivanovic. Doesn't mean they're saying he's a bad RB, just that he's below average going forward - especially in games where we will have the most of the ball - moves on the right break down on Ivanovic a lot of times, so obviously people will get frustrated with that. Plus, he's better at CB.

He has declined in crossing, how much of that is due to the departures off people who can head im not to sure.
I can understand frustrations in that aspect, i just find it very unjust when i read "Ivan is not a RB", as he use to be the best in the PL and even now is adequate enough.

He has declined in crossing, how much of that is due to the departures off people who can head im not to sure.
I can understand frustrations in that aspect, i just find it very unjust when i read "Ivan is not a RB", as he use to be the best in the PL and even now is adequate enough.

but he's never been the best offensively.. Not in my opinion anyway. Defensively always sound and on the merits of a defender he was, but not as a modern full-back.

I don't disagree about Ramires & Ivanovic being technically poor. What I do disagree with though is the idea that Mourinho's favorite players are those that are technically inept but hard working.

Well I think Ramires and Ivanovic are Mourinho's two untouchables and so you could say his favourites are technically inept. Ramires, he wanted at Inter and Real and hasn't once dropped/criticised in spite of his regular bouts of ineptitude and recklessness (he even greeted him after getting sent off against Bayern). Mourinho has also given Ivanovic more playing time than anyone else even in games against the smaller sides where he is more of a hindrance.