Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

You are right that "nobodies" may have been a bit strong, but my point was the at the very least the contacts they used to work with aren't the same they will now have to work with. They will not necessarily have relationships with the top agents and scouts... something that Marina certainly had. I think it's easy to disregard what they accomplished, I can easily criticize a good number of their signings, but there was quite a bit of silverware in the mix as well.

The players you cited (from Brighton guys) are more suited for a team like Brighton IMO... including our own Cucurella (though too early to pass judgement).

Thank you for the information... while it does not make optimistic about the future, it does provide some reassurance that it's not a bunch of quacks. it's also good to know some of them have experience with scouting youth, which is IMO the only way we can compete at this level.

You also have to bear in mind the reported plan of the owners to buy a couple more clubs to sit in a group underneath us. This is where these appointments really stand out with Lawrence Stewart and Christopher Vivell having experience working within those group structures, Joe Shields having a very successful track record at youth recruitment level and now Winstanley having been head of recruitment at Brighton, a club which has built a strong reputation for excellent and smart recruitment, particularly with younger players, providing them with a platform to develop. 

For me, we haven't done enough work for years in recruiting players a couple of years earlier than perhaps they might be ready for Chelsea, and then plan and aid their development to reach our first team. Not really since we went through the period where the likes of Courtois, De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku were bought. Similar to what you said, being able to identify players earlier than other top clubs and offering them a plan and platform for their development might just end up being our ace in the hole. With the group network, we can operate in similar ways to Leipzig/Salzburg where some of these players can go and play in Portugal/Holland/France for a couple of seasons before coming here for a reasonable price when they have developed further.

If it's done right, it could be a real game changer long term and from what we can see so far with these appointments, the owners are laying some serious groundwork for this.

I don't see any need buying players we will end up calling shit players after few months of their buys. That is the usual tradition. People clamour and speak good of a particular player and once he comes here and have difficulty performing in a poorly coached team, people say he was a shit signing and we could have gone for Mr X, Y or Z. I fully understand the advantage of having quality players who fit into a team well, which is what we all want at Chelsea but we need to have a well defined style of play that is quite productive or promising atleast. Not playing football like a relegation team. How many matches has Potter dominated in ball possession? How many matches have we played top quality football? What is even his pattern of football because we usually look clueless on the pitch of play. We need a proper coach who has a defined and effective playing style which can bring the best out of players. First of all have an effective style, from there we can point out which position at which quality is lacking. In the last few matches I cannot point at any single position that any of our player did well except that kid Hall.

1 hour ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Good player and would be a quality signing but might come here to play poor football and people start questioning his talent if things don't get better. Good and potent style of football makes even bad players look good. Same thing with poor style making good players look poor.

Edited by maxlev

On 15/11/2022 at 22:49, Jype said:

together with Freund, who sadly didn't join this new recruitment team at Chelsea

Do you think we still might have a shot at him now that Dietrich Mateschitz, the Red Bull (the drinks and the teams) billionaire founder and football fanatic has died at age 78? His heirs apparently have far less interest in football and may sell the teams.

34 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Do you think we still might have a shot at him now that Dietrich Mateschitz, the Red Bull (the drinks and the teams) billionaire founder and football fanatic has died at age 78? His heirs apparently have far less interest in football and may sell the teams.

I suppose as long as the DoF spot remains vacant there's a chance for something to happen in the future?

Michael Edwards refused the position too and the club are reportedly still interested in talking with him again at a later time so maybe another round of talks with Freund about joining is not totally out of the question either, especially if things were to turn sour at the RB football group.

If Vivell follows Stewart to the club there's already plenty of RB experience in the team so Freund coming in would be like putting the old band back together. 😂

34 minutes ago, Jype said:

I suppose as long as the DoF spot remains vacant there's a chance for something to happen in the future?

Michael Edwards refused the position too and the club are reportedly still interested in talking with him again at a later time so maybe another round of talks with Freund about joining is not totally out of the question either, especially if things were to turn sour at the RB football group.

If Vivell follows Stewart to the club there's already plenty of RB experience in the team so Freund coming in would be like putting the old band back together. 😂

We don't know the exact situation, but I think there are significant differences with both. With Edwards he's been steadfast that he wanted a sabbatical, whereas reports suggest that Freund had verbally accepted the job here and changed his mind. It did seem an embarrassing situation for the club as it appeared he just suddenly U-turned when it looked a done deal. From the basis of that, I'd be surprised if the ownership went back to him. And anyway, isn't the role that was earmarked for him the same one that is reportedly being offered to Vivell?