Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

I would have laughed two months ago if someone said Pulisic is being shown a lot of love and Mendy might get moved on. Then again Lampard had some love for Puli too. There is a player in there, maybe Potter can bring out his best and consistency. 

26 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I would have laughed two months ago if someone said Pulisic is being shown a lot of love and Mendy might get moved on. Then again Lampard had some love for Puli too. There is a player in there, maybe Potter can bring out his best and consistency. 

There is a player in there, in the same way there is also one in Havertz.

That's why so many fans find them both infuriating because there's no consistency to their play. 

47 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

People will laugh at my suggestion of a replacement (if Mendy goes) but I'd love for us to take a punt on that Plymouth keeper that single handedly took us to extra time last year (not basing it just on that I live near there and go and watch them when I can).

I'm convinced he's not only a PL keeper in waiting but a future England number 1, he's been a cheat code at League 1 level and that cup tie with them was a 5-1 stroll if it was a bog standard EFL keeper there instead of him.

Edited by Tomo

6 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

He is so young, not sure he is ready for the pressure.

Kepa is also here on a long term contract and he's done well (so far) under Potter and his coaching team. 

Feel like Mendy making way would be like clearing a pathway for Slonina to eventually come back to Chelsea and try to fight for the #1 spot (similar to how Courtois did well with Atletico and then came back and challenged Cech for the #1 spot). 

7 hours ago, Superblue said:

There is a player in there, in the same way there is also one in Havertz.

That's why so many fans find them both infuriating because there's no consistency to their play. 

What does Havertz actually provide?    After 60-ish appearances in the PL, does anyone know his best position or whether he's had 10 really good games in PL? 

I know people love to hate on Pulisic but he's got enough 'variety' in his play to be a solid option for Potter.   I can see why Newcastle wanted him, him in Eddie Howe's system would have been nice to watch.   If Potter can get some consistency out of Pulisic, that would save us a nice transfer fee and having to hit the market again for another attacker. 

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Kepa is also here on a long term contract and he's done well (so far) under Potter and his coaching team. 

Feel like Mendy making way would be like clearing a pathway for Slonina to eventually come back to Chelsea and try to fight for the #1 spot (similar to how Courtois did well with Atletico and then came back and challenged Cech for the #1 spot). 

At the end of this season Kepa will only have 2 years left I believe so I think the club would actually have to make a decision on him at that point.

I suppose even if he's not the long term solution for us, at the very least this run of games has maybe put him in the shop window as a worthwhile punt for a team in the £15-20m bracket.

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

What does Havertz actually provide?    After 60-ish appearances in the PL, does anyone know his best position or whether he's had 10 really good games in PL? 

I know people love to hate on Pulisic but he's got enough 'variety' in his play to be a solid option for Potter.   I can see why Newcastle wanted him, him in Eddie Howe's system would have been nice to watch.   If Potter can get some consistency out of Pulisic, that would save us a nice transfer fee and having to hit the market again for another attacker. 

I think the biggest problem for Havertz is that no one seems to know his best position. He's heading the same way Ruben did where different managers have different ideas and concepts of his strengths and where to utilise them. He might well simply be one of these players that thrives under being the big fish in the small pond, like he was at Leverkusen.

I felt last season that false 9 position was going to actually be the most suitable place for him and he had a bit of a run early on in the sanctions period where he looked really good and it just tailed off again. We don't have big goal scorers around him to put up numbers like say Liverpool have had in the past around Firmino and that poses a problem then when he's not a consistent scorer. 

It's extremely frustrating. Whatever people say about Mount, he's at the very least shown a consistent increase in his goals and assists numbers each season. 3 - 4 seasons on, we should be seeing Havertz and Pulisic really kicking on now and being big game changing players here and, as of now, they're not. 

10 minutes ago, Superblue said:

I think the biggest problem for Havertz is that no one seems to know his best position. He's heading the same way Ruben did where different managers have different ideas and concepts of his strengths and where to utilise them. He might well simply be one of these players that thrives under being the big fish in the small pond, like he was at Leverkusen.

I felt last season that false 9 position was going to actually be the most suitable place for him and he had a bit of a run early on in the sanctions period where he looked really good and it just tailed off again. We don't have big goal scorers around him to put up numbers like say Liverpool have had in the past around Firmino and that poses a problem then when he's not a consistent scorer. 

It's extremely frustrating. Whatever people say about Mount, he's at the very least shown a consistent increase in his goals and assists numbers each season. 3 - 4 seasons on, we should be seeing Havertz and Pulisic really kicking on now and being big game changing players here and, as of now, they're not. 

At least with Ruben, he has adapted to the situation.  Whether it's playing in midfield, playing further back than his preferred role or even playing as the RWB. 

The comment about big fish in a small pond, that's not true at all, if that was the case, he'd be struggling for Germany as well.   Put Havertz in a team with attackers like Bayern Munich and he'll flourish as he'll have the time & space to impact the game around the likes of Sane, Musiala, Muller, Davies and co.

I don't think we will ever see the very best of Havertz at Chelsea because the system doesn't suit him.

2017 transformed us from title contenders to top four contenders.

2021 will transform us from top four contenders to to top 5-8 team. 

Neglecting need to overhaul our midfield with at least two quality midfielders and getting Lukaku instead will haunt us every game onwards. That summer was even more damaging than summer of 2017.  

We are behind many clubs in pecking order and our only hope of getting big club status again is extremely good talent hunter.