Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

If Poch has given this the thumbs up then I'm all for it- Yes he's raw, but so is the likes of Mudryk, Noni, Chucky, Lesley, Lavia and others.

We are creating something very exciting here, and I'm right behind this signing

1 minute ago, Gundalf said:

Well we live in a world where Forest rejects a £43m bid for Brennan Johnson. 

Johnson got 8 PL goals in his debut PL season. That and his age are always going to give Forest the chance to ask for £45-50m and above. Plus the way the market is, £40-50m is the standard starting price considering the money PL clubs have from the TV deals.

Wouldn’t say we’ve paid value for money for a lot of players under Boehly so Cole Palmer, if the deal was to be done for £40-45m, would probably fall into the same category as well.

Not so worried about the prices as much now as I doubt we will pay value for money often with this ownership now but am a lot more concerned about the profile. Palmer is not proven enough and also doesn’t strike me as the missing piece despite some decent showings for City but again, would they have signed Doku if Palmer was that good and ready to go? 

But I’ve seen Chelsea people making youtube videos and saying he’s great or whatever already. So I guess he is….

8 hours ago, lluubbeenn said:

Their recent history with Richarlison and Joao Pedro look good, but I just don't see the physicality in the boy. 

the lad was still just 17 years old a couple of months ago

he looks like he will fill out nicely

Chelsea não para em Ângelo e apresenta proposta por Deivid Washington, nova  joia do SantosDeivid Washington escolhe o Chelsea e fica perto do adeus ao Santos |  OneFootballDeivid Washington ganha espaço e passará por testes no profissional do  Santos | OneFootball

Chelsea 'submit £17m transfer bid for Santos wonderkid with personal terms  already agreed'.. but he'll head out on loan | The Sun

CIES Football Observatory

n°428 - 30/08/2023

Weekly Post

Demography

The hundred youngsters most ready for a top club
Oly43C6.jpg

https://football-observatory.com/WeeklyPost428

Issue number 428 of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post presents the 100 players born in 2002 or later who are not yet playing for a big-5 league club, but whose level of experience accumulated over the past year puts them in the best position to successfully take their careers to the next level.

Born in 2003, "air-ground blocker" António Silva (SL Benfica) is the player best equipped to join a top club. His transfer value is estimated at €102.5 million by the CIES Football Observatory statistical model. The Portuguese is ahead of two players born in 2002, "ground-air blocker" Pablo Maia (São Paulo FC, €17.4m) and "shooter-creator" Georgiy Sudakov (Shakhtar Donetsk, €35.6m).

Barcelona's new recruit Vitor Roque (Athletico Paranaense, €53.5m) is in fourth place, an impressive ranking for a player born in 2005. Arthur Vermeeren (Anverse, €10.2m) and Jorne Spileers (Bruges, €7.2m) are the only other footballers born in 2005 in the top 100, compared with ten born in 2004, the highest-ranked of whom is the Moroccan full international Bilal El Khannouss (KRC Genk, 14th, €20.6m).

Exclusively developed by the CIES Football Observatory research team, the 100-based experience capital metric is particularly useful for scouts, as it enables them to rank players by considering both their playing time and the sporting level of matches played. This makes it easy to identify the talents whose recruitment offers the best guarantees of success.

A paying platform with numerous statistical indicators has been developed to help professionals optimise their strategies. More information is available on request.

Highest experience capital accumulated over the past year

Player born in 2002 or after who are not yet playing for a big-5 league club (30/08/2023)

06228d6d78593b3006aad693ba17429c.png8bdebae0aa952b76a3aec6e38e79c4f9.png5b76157b0006ab7f665b4ccb6626cd4a.png0ef65dc845026719c0c5e84383cdc2e0.png113f57673f21e66bcaf03cd7dd4ead8d.png14dfb37b77eab870981123f479e95c79.pnge5cfffb7e941d846fe781eeca372b350.png

36 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

If Poch has given this the thumbs up then I'm all for it- Yes he's raw, but so is the likes of Mudryk, Noni, Chucky, Lesley, Lavia and others.

We are creating something very exciting here, and I'm right behind this signing

We are, but its a matter of when or if we will ever see it come to fruition. Massive gamble this. 

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Of the few appearances Palmer has made on senior level I have probably seen a quarter. The player he is most similar IMO is Kai but the Leverkusen one. He has the same swagger and elegance with ability for spectacular goals but is lanky and weak af. Good end speed but average acceleration and balance. What palmer hopefully offers is goals. He has scored in about every match on development and youth level and also in the two super cup games this season but never in PL. At age 21 he is a gamble mostly bc of how little he has played. Kai at that age already had over 100 pro games. I hope Palmer still has the Hunger after winning CL and PL as bit part player but if he wants the move he probably has. 

Yes, I see him a bit Kai-esque as well, but on a fraction of his wages (currently he's on 25k pw), he is a much better investment than keeping Kai around and hoping for the 'transformation'. Guessing Palmer would go on to 50k like Madueke / Gallagher on a long term contract vs Kai was on £300k pw for us and seemed to be pretty much run out of steam development wise at a level that wasn't cutting it.

I think it is a decent potential signing but not one we should get crazy excited about, no more than we are about Carney at least. Useful squad player who will have a real shot at breaking into the lineup, like Carney did. Present moment squad situation may mean he would get his chance almost immediately too.

Edited by Mhsc

1 hour ago, Mhsc said:

Yes, I see him a bit Kai-esque as well, but on a fraction of his wages (currently he's on 25k pw), he is a much better investment than keeping Kai around and hoping for the 'transformation'. Guessing Palmer would go on to 50k like Madueke / Gallagher on a long term contract vs Kai was on £300k pw for us and seemed to be pretty much run out of steam development wise at a level that wasn't cutting it.

I think it is a decent potential signing but not one we should get crazy excited about, no more than we are about Carney at least. Useful squad player who will have a real shot at breaking into the lineup, like Carney did. Present moment squad situation may mean he would get his chance almost immediately too.

How times have changed, squad players are ranging between £40 and £50 million.

I do wonder what the long term plan is. Are we going to call it "done" after Cole and just add say ~1 big signing a year that enhances the XI? That seems hard to believe given we've got so many senior people who manage the squad. 

Our team is so young and stacked with talent that needs time to grow, we could be planning to pretty much stop doing business for a long time, or we might be planning to buy and sell a bunch every year, selling off people that have had their shot and not reached the level we want and replace them with the new U21 prospect we've scouted, or someone from the loan army that's grown a lot.

Just hard to visualise what next summer might look like. Could imagine we could be selling Madueke, Gallagher, Ugochukwu, Carney, <insert random list of players - all respect to that list I just gave just wanted to pick some names for sake of argument> and replacing them with Angelo, Santos, etc from the loan army and then buy a new crop to loan out and perhaps the odd big signing to improve the XI?

Just now, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Cole done

Well fuck! Blink and you miss it, sometimes we really don't fuck around. Some regulars probably haven't even finished work yet and going to login and be like "who the fuck is Cole Palmer?"

Welcome aboard Cole please score against City and do a massive run to Pep to slide on your knees right in front of him celebrating furiously

5 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

How times have changed, squad players are ranging between £40 and £50 million.

Yeah it is bonkers but transfer values also are a bit related to salaries, if he is going to accept say 50k pw like Madueke/Gallagher is on then overall the spend annualised over his time here will be pretty cheap tbh.

GKs Sanchez+Petrovic

RBs Reece+Malo

RCBs Disasi+Silva

LCBs Colwill+Badiashile

LBs Chilwell+Maatsen

Pivot Enzo+Lavia

Pivot Caicedo+Ugochukwu

LAM Mudryk+Palmer

SS Nkunku+Carney+Gallagher

RAM Sterling+Madueke

CF Jackson+Broja

23 not including Chalobah who I'm assuming is off, or Fofana who is broken, or the many randomers (Bettinelli) and kids we've got around the place that I'm assuming don't count in the target number based on Poch's previous comments. About what we were aiming for.

I'm still concerned we don't have enough goals in the team but a lot will depend on so many players and how they work out. Maybe some people will emerge as big goal scorers.