Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

this may sound strange, but one of the things I never liked about Fofana is how utter narrow his body is (look at now narrow his shoulders are), and his very awkward looking knock-kneed, pigeon-toed gait

he just always looked like he was an injury waiting to happen

Fofana signs for Chelsea | News | Official Site | Chelsea Football ClubLeicester City right to stand firm on Wesley Fofana amid Chelsea bids -  Leicestershire Live

I agree that rushing out and buying a CB this window makes little sense. It isn’t a concerning area at the moment. If this was the usual 60 match Chelsea season then yes. 

Maybe, just maybe we bring someone highly experienced on loan for the season if some opportunity presents itself. Someone who is 30+ and knows ahead of time that they likely won’t see much playing time.

I am super stressing now 😟

not gonna lie

I am terrified of our injury record

it's a fucking curse

Badi is injured too (nothing like Fofana, but still, hamstrings can turn into recurrent problems)

Reece has had a bad run with injuries (hamstrings as well)

and now the pressure on a soon-to-be 39yo Thiago and a player we were (are?) willing/want to so sell (Trevoh, who has been spotty AF at times the past 2 seasons) is immense

also pressure on Malo Gusto as well, if Reece injury record haunts him/us again this year

plus, so far, T-rex-armed Kepa looks to still be our number 1 GK

and Chilly has had injures galore and CuCu was shite on defence far too often

our defence has semi-collapse potential atm

Pavard makes alot of sense now reasonable price tag,can cover RB too.so Gusto wouldnt have to play every game if RJ misses extended time during season or is played in other position.

Caciedo i would put in offer of 80m with 20m in add ons but majority being linked to Ballon d'or or him winning the World cup with Equador.they can pretend they got Rice money from us,even send them some vouchers from Uncle Ben.

CF i'd only be cool with us forking out substantial fee,say 70m range for Ramos! Otherwise go cheaper option for the kid from Arsenal or just roll with what we already got.

GK reasonable options out there..

summer 2022 buy (speaking NON YOUTH) window may well go down as one of the worst ever for an EPL club, it really looks like may be the case

hopefully Enzo and Muddy and Noni and Badi can save it from that

if Rom had also been bought in 2022 instead of 2021, it would likely have been the worst window in football history

30 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Lazio had great defence last season. In general Italians always have amazing CBs. Casale shouldn't be expensive? I'm sure we can find some gam there on cheep. 

you are the only other poster who has ever mentioned Nicolò Casale as a right-footed CB option

welcome to the club

We're going to need a CB. I thought this before Fofana's injuries. I recognise we have the numbers but we have to remember we have fecking Kepa in goal. Atm, we have Silva - who is great - but 39 so we cannot rely on him solely, especially in a back 4. After that we have Levi, Badman and Trev. Levi and Badman have looked great but there young and need a confident GK behind them. Trev, is a good squad player but isn't starting material. For me, we need a decent 26-32 year old CB who can rotate with Silva and/or provide a steady hand if Badman or Levi struggle with form (which is normal for young CB's.) 

I’m just too concerned with the midfield and even the striker situation at the moment to stress about CB’s. If we signed two top quality midfielders it’ll help mask the other issues.

But yeah, looking at the squad overall at this moment in time it’s hard to see this team even sniffing top 6, never mind pushing for the top 4. The midfield is nearly nonexistent when it comes to proven quality after Enzo and we’d be 100% reliant on wingers/attacking midfielders and a totally unproven young striker for goals.

We are still about 4 signings away from having a squad that’s capable of being in the mix. Two midfielders, a striker, an maybe a keeper or CB if some opportunity presents itself.

8 minutes ago, King Kante said:

We're going to need a CB. I thought this before Fofana's injuries. I recognise we have the numbers but we have to remember we have fecking Kepa in goal. Atm, we have Silva - who is great - but 39 so we cannot rely on him solely, especially in a back 4. After that we have Levi, Badman and Trev. Levi and Badman have looked great but there young and need a confident GK behind them. Trev, is a good squad player but isn't starting material. For me, we need a decent 26-32 year old CB who can rotate with Silva and/or provide a steady hand if Badman or Levi struggle with form (which is normal for young CB's.) 

😏😏😏

7 minutes ago, manpe said:

Sorry but what is this obsession with right-footed and left-footed CBs? It seems to me that people are losing their minds when two left-footed CBs play together, but nobody bats and eyelid when two right-footed ones play... Seriously, what's up with that all of a sudden? Didn't hear any of that when JT was playing LCB all the time.

many CBs are very used to playing on a side dictated by their footedness, and if you go look at performance charts, many often suffer when they are played on the other side

not every player is a Maldini or a Terry when it comes to flexibility and talent to perform at extraordinary levels no matter where you place them

Badi, for instance, is far better on the left an on the right

if footedness meant nothing, then why is there an extraordinary premium on classy left-footed CBs?

there just are not that many lefties out there

the bottom CB on the first page (so top 25 on planet in terms of valuation) for left-footed CBs on T-Markt is only valued at £18.9m

the bottom of the second page is only £8.6m

massive drop offs

for right footed CBs, the bottom of page one is £30.1m, and page 2, the bottom (£17.3m) is almost the same as the bottom of page one for lefties

footedness is magnified when you play a back 4 as well, versus a back 5, as there is no middle CB to cover if a wrong-footed player who is playing in an area they are not comfortable with gets burnt

5 minutes ago, Vesper said:

many CBs are very used to playing on a side dictated by their footedness, and if you go look at performance charts, many often suffer when they are played on the other side

not every player is a Maldini or a Terry when it comes to flexibility and talent to perform at extraordinary levels no matter where you place them

Badi, for instance, is far better on the left an on the right

if footedness meant nothing, then why is there an extraordinary premium on classy left-footed CBs?

there just are not that many lefties out there

the bottom CB on the first page (so top 25 on planet in terms of valuation) for left-footed CBs on T-Markt is only valued at £18.9m

the bottom of the second page is only £8.6m

massive drop offs

for right footed CBs, the bottom of page one is £30.1m, and page 2, the bottom (£17.3m) is almost the same as the bottom of page one for lefties

footedness is magnified when you play a back 4 as well, versus a back 5, as there is no middle CB to cover if a wrong-footed player who is playing in an area they are not comfortable with gets burnt

Badiashile played RCB for a large portion at Monaco with Jonathan Panzo at LCB. 

So when did actually Fofana have opportunity to get injured? If he managed to tore ACL during that two sessions of warm-up runs around Cobham, that's even worse than it looks at first sight.

On the other hand, if we will manage to lose 1/3 of the squad during pre-season, it smells of Lampard's first stint and means that alleged Poch's soft spot for physical training and our physio team don't quite add up.  

Edited by Vegetable

34 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

So when did actually Fofana have opportunity to get injured? If he managed to tore ACL during that two sessions of warm-up runs around Cobham, that's even worse than it looks at first sight.

On the other hand, if we will manage to lose 1/3 of the squad during pre-season, it smells of Lampard's first stint and means that alleged Poch's soft spot for physical training and our physio team don't quite add up.  

Probably double sessions with the fitness test Poch uses did it. Guess it wades out the unfit / unhealthy people on the training ground instead of on the pitch… 

9 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Badiashile played RCB for a large portion at Monaco with Jonathan Panzo at LCB. 

do you even do the slightest amount of research before posting?

Panzo only played THREE topflight games ever for Monaco

Two Ligue 1 games in 2019/20, one as starter where Badi never came in, and then a 16 minute late defensive LMF/LW sub (for Henry Onyekuru), and a game where Badi (as an 18 yo) was the starting LEFT CB

and one Coupe de la Ligue game in 2018/2019, where Badi (17 years old then) was the LEFT CB and Panzo was the LB

466e393abaaca9a20091501dd1db4eb1.png

a2b2c1cec4eb8d3862379c15a49d2a61.png

40cc04c323dd29182babd4a4205e0e94.png