Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

15 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

error-proneness isn't the problem I have with Kepa. I'd not call Kepa's weaknesses mistakes--he's consistently incapable of making certain saves mostly due to lack of reach.

I mentioned Lloris achievements as proof that he has delivered, consistently, at the highest stage... that he has been good enough, even excellent, at times. You are suggesting that Kepa can achieve that, which is where we strongly disagree.

BTW, I never said I'd take Lloris right now--think he's too old.

Kepa makes poor decisions on a regular basis, whether it's coming for crosses he has no chance of getting or failing to come off his line when it's required. I'd classify those traits as errors.

Please point to where in my response I mentioned Kepa being at the same level as Lloris.

I clearly stated that Llrois, at this moment in time, isn't an upgrade over Kepa. If you believe otherwise, that's a different story. Just don't put words into my mouth in the future.

41 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Kepa makes poor decisions on a regular basis, whether it's coming for crosses he has no chance of getting or failing to come off his line when it's required. I'd classify those traits as errors.

Please point to where in my response I mentioned Kepa being at the same level as Lloris.

I clearly stated that Llrois, at this moment in time, isn't an upgrade over Kepa. If you believe otherwise, that's a different story. Just don't put words into my mouth in the future.

maybe I misread, but I thought that was implied in

Replacing one error-prone GK with another isn't smart.

Yeah I don't agree Kepa issue is poor decisions, but rather physique/build. He can't dominate the area with his height (lacks power too), and his lack of reach makes him vulnerable from range. I don't see either as fixable.

I'm not qualified to speak about his goalkeeping technique, but it seems that he has worked on his hand movement/posture which was criticized by professional goalies/analysts in the past. Still not good enough at this level tho.

22 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Yeah I don't agree Kepa issue is poor decisions, but rather physique/build.

Build is one thing (Mendy on the other hand is slow to go down due to his size, so we have too small and too big at hand lol), Kepa mitigating his weird hand-swing is another, but he constantly gets caught with wrong footing, as he seems to hesitate if he should stay on line or rush forward, doing neither in effect and obviously, conceding.  

9 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Build is one thing (Mendy on the other hand is slow to go down due to his size, so we have too small and too big at hand lol), Kepa mitigating his weird hand-swing is another, but he constantly gets caught with wrong footing, as he seems to hesitate if he should stay on line or rush forward, doing neither in effect and obviously, conceding.  

Fair enough, I just personally think that the very best goalies are the super tall ones: Courtois being the absolute best in my book.

It gets a bit nuanced once you go into systems like City's, but I'd still rate Ederson a lot higher than Kepa. So, it's definitely not just height alone; there is build (power), arm reach, agility... they all play a part.

Edited by robsblubot

47 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Fair enough, I just personally think that the very best goalies are the super tall ones: Courtois being the absolute best in my book.

It gets a bit nuanced once you go into systems like City's, but I'd still rate Ederson a lot higher than Kepa. So, it's definitely not just height alone; there is build (power), arm reach, agility... they all play a part.

Tall yes the super tall ones Courtois, van der Sar, Cech are the outliers rather than the norm. Most of the great goalkeepers in history were around the 1,90 mark either  a little bit shorter (Kahn, Yashin, banks, schumacher, lehmann, zenga, chilavert, carrizo, casillas) or slightly taller (Neuer, Buffon, alisson, schmeichel).

I agree on the second point. All had relatively long, strong arms and a stable upper body to keep them afloat amidst the scrum in their box. This is what Kepa lacks but there is obviously also a mental component to it. Some of the examples listed also only had average size arms and were not particularly bulky but still controled the area due to skill and determination.

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

Tall yes the super tall ones Courtois, van der Sar, Cech are the outliers rather than the norm. Most of the great goalkeepers in history were around the 1,90 mark either  a little bit shorter (Kahn, Yashin, banks, schumacher, lehmann, zenga, chilavert, carrizo, casillas) or slightly taller (Neuer, Buffon, alisson, schmeichel).

I agree on the second point. All had relatively long, strong arms and a stable upper body to keep them afloat amidst the scrum in their box. This is what Kepa lacks but there is obviously also a mental component to it. Some of the examples listed also only had average size arms and were not particularly bulky but still controled the area due to skill and determination.

Good points. I wonder if the very tall goalies haven't got more agile (quicker too) recently -- due to better training and fitness. At the same time, I think shooting power has improved, so reach from a goalie would have to match that as well.

2 hours ago, robsblubot said:

maybe I misread, but I thought that was implied in

Yeah I don't agree Kepa issue is poor decisions, but rather physique/build. He can't dominate the area with his height (lacks power too), and his lack of reach makes him vulnerable from range. I don't see either as fixable.

I'm not qualified to speak about his goalkeeping technique, but it seems that he has worked on his hand movement/posture which was criticized by professional goalies/analysts in the past. Still not good enough at this level tho.

That implies neither keeper should be starting for this club.

On 28/04/2023 at 14:21, ulvhedin said:

Damn, I forgot about Anjorin also

that injury in late 2021 fucked us out of £17m for him from Lokomotiv Moscow (they would have spent the money as that contract allowed them to skirt the sanctions)

they were likely to exercise the buy option but then he was seriously injured and got sent back

he scored the late equaliser for Lokomotive v Marseille in an Europa League game

Edited by Vesper

On 02/05/2023 at 10:16, Clockwork said:

What you guys think West Ham will demand for Declan Rice keep in mind he has 12 months left on his contract this summer? Could see Poch wanting him, he fits that presence that he had at Spurs Wanayama/Dier. 

2 years

they have a 1 year extension option

Contract expires:
Jun 30, 2024
Contract option:
club option 1 year

On 07/05/2023 at 15:38, MoroccanBlue said:

Is Onana even better than Mendy? 

Really hope we go after Ugarte. Good ball winner and passer of the ball. Will complement Enzo well and a good Argentina/Uruguay dynamic. 

a problem with Ugarte is that he is Conor Gallagher level rash, so many nasty challenges 

West Ham want £120m or £100m plus a player for Declan Rice this summer. Arsenal in pole position as it stands apparently. Us, United and Liverpool also in running. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

West Ham want £120m or £100m plus a player for Declan Rice this summer. Arsenal in pole position as it stands apparently. Us, United and Liverpool also in running. 

they will never come close to getting that

e7887fce1b7575bafec4015715aa4aa9.png

https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2022/wp420/en/

The 420th edition of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post uses Wyscout data on dribbling in domestic league matches over the last 365 days to compile a world ranking of the best dribblers according to an index combining the frequency and percentage of successful dribbles, as well as the sporting level of teammates and opponents. Only footballers who have not yet turned 23 and have played at least 1’500 domestic league minutes are included.

Real Madrid’s Brazilian winger Vinícius Júnior tops the list with a successful dribble every 15 minutes and 32 seconds, and a success rate of 50.3% in highly competitive matches. His compatriot Ângelo Gabriel of Santos FC ranks second with even more impressive statistics, albeit in lower-level games: one successful dribble every 13 minutes and 56 seconds with a 64.2% success rate. Bayern Munich’s Jamal Musiala rounds up the podium ahead of AFC Ajax’s Mohammed Kudus.

Players from 35 different leagues are in the top 100, with Spain’s La Liga in first place (11 representatives), one more than the English Premier League and Argentina’s Primera División. Born on 23 December 2004, Brighton & Hove Albion’s Facundo Buonanotte is the youngest player in the top 100, followed by Ângelo Gabriel (born just two days earlier), RB Salzburg’s Israeli Oscar Gloukh and Vélez Sarsfield’s Julián Fernández.

Ranking of U23 attacking players according to the Dribble index

102f0f2d3a46d64a220fe6a2ade90457.pnga0c3c84e744205f2bd908f9bb1593629.pngc01e7273d9a48a0b4b39d4350e8a5774.png5cc153e5baf91143c6920ede6fd076de.png959a11969f38e3a00d4b3157a5f4cb1c.png

Edited by Vesper

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

We already have Enzo who plays the deeper role and is comfortably better than Rice.

Gavi if Barca are selling or Barella.

58 minutes ago, Strike said:

We already have Enzo who plays the deeper role and is comfortably better than Rice.

Gavi if Barca are selling or Barella.

agree, this is the level of ambition we should be going for

Poch would do wonders with either.

and

SELL ALL THE DREGS and the wannabes

plus get a WC keeper and Rasmus Højlund as our CF

the rest can wait as we simply are bound by FFP (although I so wish he could grab Arsen Zakharyan on the cheap, but those sanctions will still block it I fear)