Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Raphinha has been a bust at Barca, they may be looking to sell him

HARD PASS

Oh, who would expect this 🙃 But hey, at least we humiliated ourselves over mediocre player, who never wanted to come here.

Rice feels inevitable and I’d be delighted with the signing. And he feels like a player who would come regardless of whether we finish in the top 4. We’re also fortunate that most of our PL rivals either have just recently signed expensive DM’s or have other midfield targets. City just signed Phillips and also have Rodri, United signed Casemiro, and Liverpool will likely prioritize Bellingham or Enzo. As attractive as Arse may seem currently, I’m not sure they’d pay mega money for Rice and I’m not sure he’d choose them over us if we both bid.

Everyone (myself included) assumes that Jorginho will leave but I wouldn’t be surprised if we extended him since Kante is surely off. Maybe a 2-3 years deal as a squad option if he’s fine with that.

27 minutes ago, Pizy said:

City just signed Phillips and also have Rodri, United signed Casemiro, and Liverpool will likely prioritize Bellingham or Enzo.

All of them significantly better than Rice, especially at progressing the ball. Would be absolutely depressing.

1 hour ago, Hashishi said:

to post a tweet

try removing the ? and all after it

snapshot

b4d4ad08d081631b01235f342ed54624.png

yields

Edited by Vesper

Chelsea keen on €35m Monaco defender Benoit Badiashile

https://theathletic.com/4023732/2022/12/24/Chelsea-transfers-benoit-badiashile/

Chelsea are working to sign a new left-sided centre-back and — as things stand — Monaco’s Benoit Badiashile is the leading candidate.

The pursuit of a new recruit for this position has been ongoing since the last window, when Chelsea had personal terms in place with RB Leipzig’s Josko Gvardiol but were unable to strike a club-to-club deal on the transfer fee.

Their interest in the Croatia international remains, however his rising value has forced Chelsea to broaden the search and consider alternative options for January or next summer.

Those include Evan N’Dika — set to be available as a free agent when his contract at Eintracht Frankfurt expires on June 30 — and Bayer Leverkusen defender Piero Hincapie.

Yet Badiashile has emerged as the priority at present and Chelsea are talking to Monaco about recruiting the France international. While currently there is no agreement between the Premier League side and their Ligue 1 counterparts, multiple sources believe he will join in the weeks ahead for around €35 million ($37m, £30m).

The development follows an extensive scouting process, which has seen Chelsea focus on a fairly specific profile and age group. Badiashile, Gvardiol, N’Dika and Hincapie occupy similar roles and are 21, 20, 23 and 20 respectively.

Chelsea admire the multi-club models Monaco and Leipzig are part of and recently dealt with both sides, having appointed Laurence Stewart and Christopher Vivell as technical directors.

If Badiashile joins, it would continue the owners’ focus on trying to bring in young players to the club. Chelsea added Carney Chukwuemeka (18), Fofana (21), Marc Cucurella (24) and Cesare Casadei (19) in the summer and are also signing 19-year-old Datro Fofana from Norweigan club Molde.

His arrival would help to reinforce a part of the squad that suffered after Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen left on free transfers last summer. He would join Thiago Silva, Kalidou Koulibaly, Trevoh Chalobah and Wesley Fofana in competing for the centre-back berths, with Cucurella and Reece James able to play there in a three too.

Badiashile is a 6ft 4in defender who is good on the ball, incredibly fast and who has impressed in France by regularly stealing the ball off opponents without having to go to ground.

He also has a lot of experience for someone so young, having played 135 times for Monaco already.

Declan Rice: His future, Chelsea links and what happens next

https://theathletic.com/4016424/2022/12/24/declan-rice-his-future-Chelsea-links-and-what-happens-next/

declan-rice

Declan Rice was candid when addressing his long-term ambitions on the eve of England’s last-16 tie against Senegal.

“One hundred per cent, I want to play in the Champions League,” he said. “For the last two or three years, I’ve been saying that. I’ve been playing consistently well for my club and I feel like I really want to keep pushing. I see my friends here who are playing Champions League and for big trophies.”

At the World Cup Rice showed he belongs on the biggest stage — starting every game for Gareth Southgate’s side.

“You only get one career and at the end you want to look back at what you’ve won and the biggest games you’ve played in,” he said. “I really want to do that.”

At 23, Rice is the youngest captain in the Premier League and a key player for England and West Ham United. But he is yet to feature in Europe’s elite competition, instead representing West Ham in the Europa League and Conference League during the past two seasons.

Rice’s contract expires in the summer of 2024 and there is an option to extend by a further year. Rice, who has rejected three contract offers, has no desire to sign a new deal and has made it clear he wants to win trophies and play regularly in the Champions League. It has been over nine months since the midfielder held contract talks with West Ham.

Rice would have been the highest-paid player in the club’s history had he accepted the club’s last contract offer.

Under no circumstances will Rice be sold in January but the club have conceded internally they will have to sell him this summer.

West Ham have tried to convince Rice to stay. This summer the club spent £165million on eight new arrivals with proven international pedigree. For context, that window was only the second time in the club’s history they have spent more than £100million on signings, the other being 2019-20 when Sebastien Haller and Pablo Fornals arrived.

But the midfielder still plans on leaving this summer and the England international wants to go on amicable terms. He will not hand in a transfer request to force an exit. As it stands, no one is in pole position to secure Rice’s signature but his stock has grown following his assured performances in Qatar. It is not known when West Ham will activate the one-year option in Rice’s contract, but this summer is their last chance to earn a sizeable fee for the midfielder.

“£100million was cheap last summer,” said manager David Moyes in April. “£150m just now would be the minimum.”

If a club meets West Ham’s valuation, that would make Rice the most expensive British footballer in history. It is important to stress there is no release clause in Rice’s contract. Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United have all registered an interest in the midfielder.

Respected analysts of the market, CIES Football Observatory, value Rice at €80million (£70million), which is significantly less than West Ham’s valuation.

The next five months will mark Rice’s final chapter at West Ham. They will hope his value goes up if they secure a European finish, or win the Conference League. Rice’s honest answer about wanting to play in Europe’s elite competition did not surprise West Ham’s hierarchy. They know his intentions and they know realistically they cannot offer Champions League football.

Rice’s straightforward answer would have alerted suitors, noticeably Chelsea co-owner Todd Boehly. He was at the Khalifa International Stadium for England’s 6-2 group stage win against Iran. Since succeeding Roman Abramovich, Chelsea’s new owners spent a club record £250million-plus in their first transfer window. Chelsea would have the edge over Manchester City and Manchester United given Rice’s previous affiliation.

declan-rice

It is well documented the midfielder was released by Chelsea aged 14. “That was everything I ever knew to be honest,” said Rice in a previous interview. “From nine to 14, training there Monday to Friday, playing games and to get told you won’t be a part of that anymore was a major shock. I never thought it would have to happen but it did.”

Coaches at the time felt Rice was behind his peers in terms of his development. Upon his release, the midfielder initially had interest from Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur. Dave Hunt — who was West Ham’s head of academy recruitment — convinced Rice’s family that West Ham were the right club for his development.

Some of the misgivings over Rice at Chelsea was how he was not progressive with the ball. However members of staff at the club felt other areas of his game now compensated for that. Given the rate in which he has improved, they felt they needed to consider him an option.

Chelsea are worried about losing Rice to rivals Manchester United or Manchester City. There are frustrations over Mohamed Salah and Kevin De Bruyne’s departures in 2016 and 2014 respectively and there is an eagerness to rectify those mistakes.

Chelsea’s owners want a squad built with players 25 and under, young and hungry that want to win trophies. Rice, who turns 24 in January, would fit the mould.

Chelsea’s interest in Rice dates back to when Frank Lampard was manager. They explored the possibility of signing the midfielder in the summer window of 2020. Lampard, now manager of Everton, made concerted efforts to convince Rice his future lay at Chelsea. However there was concern from the club’s hierarchy about what it would look like to spend a fortune on a player that was let go for nothing. It is believed Lampard’s constant push for Rice aggravated Chelsea’s board so a deal never materialised.

“We are fortunate to have him in England,” said Lampard. “West Ham are fortunate to have him. He’s a leader and it is clear that he’s destined for great things. I have probably given it away with how I spoke about him, but I think it’s common knowledge that I was a big fan of his. It didn’t happen for various reasons, but we brought in a lot of players in the summer. But I was a big fan of him.”

Thomas Tuchel, Lampard’s successor, was also a big admirer of Rice.

“I rate him very highly,” he said. “He seems to be a very nice guy from what everybody tells me and is from the Chelsea academy and he proves this (his quality). That’s the most important thing. It feels like he plays every single game.

“He is available, is captain, plays with a lot of responsibility, is a physical player, very strategic-minded, a key player for his team, and is strong at set-pieces. This is not a surprise. Everybody sees this. He is a huge part of the success of West Ham and it is impressive.”

Chelsea are looking to rebuild their midfield department and are looking to spend big in 2023. Jude Bellingham, the Borussia Dortmund midfielder, is another target.

The expectation is Jorginho will leave at the end of the season when his contract expires. Both parties are still no closer to agreeing to terms for a contract extension. N’Golo Kante’s contract also expires in summer 2023, but his future remains in the balance. Graham Potter, who was appointed manager in September, is an admirer but Kante has been injured since August, and there is an acceptance he cannot be relied upon to play every game.

Since making his first-team debut against Burnley in 2017, Rice has been Mr Dependable for West Ham. He has hardly been injured and played 182 league games, only missing 24 fixtures. From June 2021 to June 2022, Rice played in 68 games for club and country.

declan-rice

Rice’s mindset and other attributes explain why other clubs also have a strong interest.

Pep Guardiola, the Manchester City manager, labelled Rice as an “exceptional player” following West Ham’s 2-1 loss away to City last season. However the club are well stocked in his position with Ilkay Gundogan, Rodri and summer signing Kalvin Phillips, who joined for £42m from Leeds United in the summer. West Ham’s valuation could also put the club off. Manchester City also retain a strong interest in Bellingham. A deal for the 19-year-old is considered more of a priority than signing Rice.

Rice has been on Manchester United’s radar for several years, but his price was always regarded as far too much considering there was not universal consensus among club scouts.

Still, United held initial talks over a move last season to survey the potential cost of a transfer and it could be that the situation is revisited given other clubs are ahead in the pursuit of Bellingham. Similarly to Manchester City, Manchester United are well stocked in central midfield with Fred, Scott McTominay, Christian Eriksen and summer signing Casemiro, who joined in a deal worth up to £70m from Real Madrid in August.

Aside from club matters, Rice has been earmarked as a future England captain. He has earned 39 caps and is a popular member of Southgate’s squad.

Rice’s commercial value has also soared — something his admirers will have noted. In April he teamed up with high-end fashion brand Prada to feature on the cover of Circle Zero Eight magazine. He featured in Sports Direct’s Christmas advert alongside childhood friend Mason Mount, Thierry Henry and Eric Cantona.

Rice is equipped to perform at the highest level, whether it is on the field or off it.

The next five months will be a defining moment in his career and when it comes to potential suitors, it is a case of who decides to blink first.

Benoit Badiashile: Chelsea’s defensive target with trademark pass, who learned from Henry

https://theathletic.com/4022445/2022/12/24/benoit-badiashile-chelseas-defensive-target-with-trademark-pass-who-learnt-from-henry/

Benoit Badiashile: Chelsea’s defensive target with trademark pass, who learned from Henry

Benoit Badiashile might easily have become a Premier League player two-and-a-half years ago. Manchester United were the club most ardent in their interest and amid the financial fallout of the COVID-19 shutdown, Monaco were very open to selling; the word chosen by vice-president Oleg Petrov to describe the prized young centre-back was “bankable”.

The club’s head coach Niko Kovac, however, did not want to lose a key player with so much room to grow. “Our aim is to take him to the next level,” he insisted. “If he plays a lot of matches with us in Ligue 1, which is a very good league, he will improve, that is certain.”

It’s hard to imagine a strategy being more emphatically vindicated. United’s offer in the summer of 2020 was reported to be in the region of €25 million (£22 million). Now, with Badiashile in his fifth professional season in the Principality as a 21-year-old with 106 Ligue 1 appearances and two senior international caps for France to his name, Chelsea are looking at paying €35 million ($37m, £30m) to bring him to Stamford Bridge in January.

Monaco were able to take the long view with Badiashile primarily because the player himself was in no hurry to force his way out. Much quieter and more introverted than his imposing 6ft 4in frame would suggest, the 21-year-old has always been inclined to refine his skills at a club renowned across Europe for developing elite talent before seeking a grander stage.

“Being humble and respectful does not mean not being ambitious,” he told L’Equipe after getting his first taste of senior international football with France in a UEFA Nations League double header against Austria and Denmark in September. “I know how to be patient. I’m in a big club, I play and I don’t want to go any faster.”

Calm self-assurance is Badiashile’s default setting. Born in the picturesque French city of Limoges and raised in a French-Congolese family as one of eight siblings, the young Benoit was spotted by Monaco as an 11-year-old. When he finally joined their academy at the age of 15 it was at the expense of several other interested European clubs, his decision partly motivated by the fact that older brother Loic — now a goalkeeper at Spanish second-tier club Burgos — was already on the books at Stade Louis II.

Badiashile’s first season at Monaco was spent watching the swashbuckling senior side led by Radamel Falcao and a dazzling teenager called Kylian Mbappe inspire a thrilling Ligue 1 title victory and shock Europe to reach the Champions League semi-finals. The dismantling of that team by richer European powers swiftly afterwards led to a sharp decline in the club’s fortunes on the pitch, but also created opportunities for new talent to emerge.

Thierry Henry gave the 17-year-old Badiashile his professional debut in a 4-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in November 2018, in the midst of his disastrous 20-game stint as Monaco coach. “He made me progress so much on and off the pitch,” Badiashile later said of Henry. “He passed on simple things to me. So simple that you never think about them on the field. These simple things are details that allow you to move forward. He gave me a lot of advice on my investment (in the game), for example. He explained to me how to handle an attacker. He is a former great striker so he knew what he was talking about.”

The Arsenal legend also went out of his way to ensure Badiashile’s character formed in the right way. One clip featuring the two men went viral a month after his debut: the teenage defender getting up to leave at the end of a Champions League press conference and Henry wordlessly chastising him to come back and tuck his chair in properly.

Badiashile has worked under four more Monaco coaches in the past four years, and all have been suitably beguiled by his talent to let him play through the occasional bad mistake. His growing importance to the team has broadly been reflected in his first-team minutes played, with the exception of a 2021-22 season disrupted by hamstring injuries and a bout of Covid.

He has gained valuable experience in a back four and as the left-sided centre-back in a back three, and played an increasingly prominent role in Monaco teams who have finished third in Ligue 1 in each of the last two seasons. Despite his youth, he appears ready for his next step.

Statistically, Harry Maguire is the most similar top-level European centre-back to Badiashile over the past year — Chelsea fans may wince at this comparison but it is reflective of style rather than form, with the 21-year-old an aggressive, front-foot defender and deliverer of big diagonal switches.

Though Badiashile has played under five different head coaches at Monaco, under current coach Philippe Clement they have not been a high-possession side. Their average 45 per cent share of possession per game is the fifth-lowest in Ligue 1 this season and represents a markedly different team style to Chelsea.

Being aggressive and stepping out of the back-line is typically associated with smaller centre-backs but, even at 6ft 4in, is a feature of Badiashile’s game.

Against Marseille, we see him stepping out from the back four — Monaco’s typical defensive set-up — to apply pressure to Amine Harit as he receives between the lines…

Step-out-1.png

…and, without making contact with the attacking midfielder, he prevents him from turning and Harit passes sideways.

Step-out-2.png

From earlier in the same game, he breaks from shape again, this time to press Alexis Sanchez:

Step-out-3.png

This high-risk, high-reward style of defending certainly fits the Potter style of pressing and, again, Badiashile is effective as Sanchez is prevented from playing on the turn and passes backwards.

However, the two-cap France international needs to ensure he picks his moments and should be encouraged to get touch-tight and put contact on the attacker.

Quicker decisions by Sanchez and he could have found Matteo Guendouzi with a ball over the top (red arrow) as the midfielder is unmarked in the space vacated by Badiashile:

Step-out-4.png

StatsBomb’s defensive actions map from the 2021-22 season, when Badiashile started 21 times in Ligue 1, visualises where he defends compared to the league average.

The darker red zones wide left in his own half and next to the centre-circle reflect this high volume of defending when stepping out, with closer-to-average rates of defending being done in his own box:

BB-defensive-actions.jpeg

With the ball, Badiashile has a trademark pass — the diagonal from left to right, particularly when the opposition sit off and defend in a mid-block:

Diag-3.png

Diag-4.png

Changing the point of attack like this is valuable though there is room for the 21-year-old to add more disguise to his passes, as he often telegraphs them with his body positioning and this can alert defenders.

It is good currently, and it should not be complete at 21, but Potter would want to expand on his range of passing. Badiashile can play over a defence, but playing round and through are key elements of a centre-back in a Potter system.

Against Trabzonspor — who had a player sent off — in the Europa League, Badiashile neglects the pass around the mid-block to left-back Caio Henrique (purple arrow) and instead opts to play over the nine outfielders onto Krepin Diatta:

Diag-5.png

An example of the actions he needs to make more can be seen against Angers.

He drives forward and, as the Angers right wing-back steps out to mark, threads a through ball outside him to the advancing left-back Caio Henrique:

TB-1.png

With one pass, the defence are dissected and Henrique can square it to Wissam Ben Yedder to score — a goal created by Badiashile:

TB2.png

Badiashile’s size makes him a significant aerial threat in both boxes, despite the relative infrequency at which he contests such duels. To look at his strengths, we can use smarterscout, a site which gives players a series of ratings from zero and 99, a bit like the player ratings in the FIFA video games but powered by real data and advanced analytics. These ratings relate to either how often a player performs a given stylistic action (for example, the volume of shots per touch) or how effective they are at them (for example, how well they progress the ball upfield) compared with others at their position.

Badiashile is involved in fewer aerial duels than the average centre-back (36 out of 99) — the chart also outlines his high-quality defensive impacts from stepping out (ball recoveries & interceptions, 92 out of 99, and defending intensity, 93 out of 99) and value added through long passing (progressive passing, 80 out of 99).

pizza_benoit_badiashile_LCB_2022-23.png

For Monaco’s late equaliser at home to Lorient in February 2021, Badiashile finds space to get a clear run at the ball — a short-free kick to change the angle and then played long — and rises highest to flick it onto Ben Yedder:

Aerial-1.png

Aerial-2.png

Though he boasts an aerial advantage over most players, Badiashile does not rely on this to win duels and maximises his chances of success through clever positioning and times his jumps to get on top of opponents well.

“I like my teams to be a reflection of me; I’d like to say hard-working, a level of humility, controlled aggression and the potential to add physicality,” said Monaco Sporting Director Paul Mitchell to The Athletic in July — a fair reflection of Badiashile as a player, too.

Across more than 100 appearances in Ligue 1, Badiashile has won over 70 per cent of aerial duels and that proportion has been trending upwards since the 2019-20 season, evidence of a super-strength evolving further.

f0ed789c940c629f591626d75f2ec4f8.png

Most of Chelsea’s current centre-backs are less than imposing in the air; one important reason Wesley Fofana was prioritised last summer was his ability to bring greater athleticism to this particular aspect of the game. Along those same lines it’s easy to see why Badiashile, too, would be considered a good choice to enhance Graham Potter’s defensive options.

Badiashile was always tall for his age. The physical strength came a little later, the product not just of a diligent approach to training but also a proactive attitude outside of team sessions; he sought out the guidance of former French middle and long distance runner Bouabdellah “Bob” Tahri, as well as hitting the gym regularly to build up muscle.

The final piece of the jigsaw was the mental assertiveness that Badiashile has admired for a long time in defenders like Virgil van Dijk and Thiago Silva, but which did not come naturally to him. His older brother Loic was always keen to make that a point of emphasis.

“He tells me all the time to be more aggressive,” Badiashile said in an interview with Onze Mondial in February 2020. “He rarely looks at what I do well. He talks to me all the time about what I’m doing wrong. He is very hard on me. It is important. In addition, as a goalkeeper, he knows what a central defender must do.”

Asked in the same interview whether his naturally calm, introverted personality is really compatible with becoming a world-class footballer, Badiashile found a response that will resonate with Chelsea supporters. “We can see N’Golo Kanté,” he said. “He is calm and introverted and that does not prevent him from being one of the best midfielders in the world.“

Badiashile’s life off the pitch in France has been similarly quiet, with a strong family influence. Growing up in Limoges, Malesherbes and then Monaco, his six sisters were protective of him. Throughout his time at Stade Louis II his mother has stayed close while his architect father works in Paris, and older brother Loic has remained a close confidant and mentor even as their football careers have diverged in recent years.

This personal stability perhaps helps to explain why Badiashile has been so measured and patient in his professional choices. It is arguable that if he had left Monaco earlier, he might have stood a better chance of making Didier Deschamps’ 26-man squad for the World Cup, though his central defensive partner at club level Axel Disasi was picked to go to Qatar.

But any disappointment from that omission is unlikely to linger. Badiashile is confident of what he can achieve in his career even if he does not shout it from the rooftops, and he has refused to be rushed. At the end of the interview with Onze Mondial he was asked to pick a sentence that best represents him, and he replied by citing a lyric from French-Congolese rapper Ninho which translates as: “I know where I’m going so I walk quietly.”

He might now be going to Chelsea too.

1 minute ago, TheHulk said:

Badiashite, Olmo and Rice, great signings to complete the transition to an average Top 10 premier league team. We're done at the top level with these guys no matter if Potter or Guardiola is the manager.

Olmo is not a target, that was just Cesc

if money was no object (and they were available) there are obviously other Spanish players we would take over Olmo

in order (some of the order is up for debate, and I explain Fati)

Pedri 
Gavi  
Rodri  
Ansu Fati    (only IF he was fully recovered from his horrid multiple injuries and if he was not going to be injured much in the future, which is NOT going to happen IMHO)
Mikel Oyarzabal
Martín Zubimendi    
Mikel Merino   
Marcos Llorente
Dani Olmo
Yéremy Pino  
Carlos Soler 
Ferran Torres 
José Gayà
Aymeric Laporte
Nico Williams

45 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Badiashite, Olmo and Rice, great signings to complete the transition to an average Top 10 premier league team. We're done at the top level with these guys no matter if Potter or Guardiola is the manager.

It's no wonder why this forum isn't as good as it once was.... the negativity is borderline embarrassing.