Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

24 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I cheered up a lot when I read this earlier.

Was also pleased when I saw a notification for an article which looks like it talks about us bidding for Nkunku. I didn't click it because what will be will be but that was another smile.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

25 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Was also pleased when I saw a notification for an article which looks like it talks about us bidding for Nkunku. I didn't click it because what will be will be but that was another smile.

Time to go big or go home!

5 minutes ago, Kong said:

Hes not worse than poch! Imagine what he can do with an actually talented squad, first season leeds come up they was electric!!!

but Bielsa's way requires complete buy-in by the players. Can happen at Bilbao, Marseille, Leeds. He's not a fit for bigger clubs

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Agree with this but we have no-one else in the squad who provides a similar output to him. 

Can't really support Tuchel here though. He'll know that in his 18 months here he's had to manage Kante's fitness and probably been lucky to have him available for more than 50-60% of the games last season. He'll also be aware that Lampard had the same exact problems in his 18 months here. Kante hasn't been able to stay fit since reportedly playing injured in the Europa League final against Arsenal. 

3 years and an ageing player is enough evidence to suggest that this situation isn't going to improve. I can understand Tuchel not wanting to sell Kante and keeping him here for the 50-60% of games he's fit because he is a game changer and still is capable of putting in massive performances for the team. I'd liken it somewhat to when we had Robben here and my opinion was always that we were a better side having him available for half our games than we were not having him at all.

But ultimately Tuchel should have scoured the world to find someone capable of replacing him when he isn't fit and long term replacing him altogether. It could well end up costing him his job that he's banked on us having enough quantity in midfield not to address it this season, but not considering how much the quality drops off when Kante and Kovacic aren't fit and they're regularly not fit. 

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I have never supported the claims that Mason is an outstanding player. Referring to his contributions when we're in possession, my favourite phrase about him is that he nearly always nearly gets it right. Nearly, but not quite.

Unfortunately I don't believe that we have anyone who can be relied upon to do a better job currently and it seems that, in saying this, I'm just echoing what TT is thinking.

This is the biggest issue. I agree with Mount, in his current state he's a very good player but not an outstanding player but in our current state he's been elevated to one of our most important and seemingly un-droppable players. For me, I want to see him sign a long term contract and stay here for the best years of his career, and I see no reason why he can't continue to improve and develop as he gets older but on current form, he needs to be dropped and given a bit of a wake up call that his performances are a shadow of where they should be. Havertz is in exactly the same boat. At least with Havertz, I think Broja has had a couple of cameo's to justify putting him in from the start. In Mount's case, there isn't anything else in the squad to replace him. Ziyech and Pulisic aren't the answer. Beyond that, we're then on to Harvey Vale.

13 minutes ago, Strike said:

but Bielsa's way requires complete buy-in by the players. Can happen at Bilbao, Marseille, Leeds. He's not a fit for bigger clubs

There lies the problem players so always buy in other wise your fucked regardless 

If we were going to go down the route of changing manager, Poch is definitely not the answer. His stock has been elevated beyond belief off the back of his Spurs stint. Let's not forget that they were already a team challenging and/or achieving top 4 under Redknapp and AVB before Poch. He didn't take a team that was consistently in the bottom half for the last decade before him.

Did he improve them? Yes, he got them to become a more consistent mainstay in the top 4 but what else did he do besides that? They reached a couple of finals and got thoroughly outplayed in them. Any slight chances they had of a title challenge, they'd find ways to crack. There was absolutely no cut throat mentality from manager or players to elevate to a trophy winning side. He's already proven himself incapable of improving the mentality of a group to become winners. 

It's not forgotten on me, how much we used to have to put up with the media, ex footballers, etc gushing over how great a team Spurs were and 'pound for pound they had the best XI in the league'. I'm sorry, but if that was indeed the case then a manager doesn't have that group for that sustained period of time and not win anything (and bar a couple of finals, not even come close to winning anything).

He'd perhaps be a safe bet to keep us where we are, as a perennial top 4 challenger but our ambition should be to build back to challenging for the title.

Add to that his Spurs background, he'd be about as popular an appointment as Benitez was amongst our fan base.

In that situation I'd rather take a complete punt on someone who hasn't had the chance to prove themselves at these levels yet, than to appoint someone who has already had those chances and proven that their level is below where we want to be heading.

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

You couldn’t fucking make it up. We may get the desperately needed striker and then not even have him available. 🤣🤣🤣

It might actually be a blessing if it meant taking him on loan instead of buying him out right, even if he wasn't available for a few weeks. He's a completely short term band aid signing, so spending any serious money to bring him in would be silly. 

7 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

It might actually be a blessing if it meant taking him on loan instead of buying him out right, even if he wasn't available for a few weeks. He's a completely short term band aid signing, so spending any serious money to bring him in would be silly. 

True. But we desperately need a goal scorer right away. Like, immediately this weekend. We cannot afford to lose against WH or even draw.